collapse

Author Topic: Progressive Holiday  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Progressive Holiday
« on: December 15, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Progressive Holiday

Let us travel each day during the holiday season to the different home of a gracious host or hostess of the Rhemuth Castle{Time Portaling and universe Portaling is an option}. For each day to follow would everyone like to join in. Tell us what the event is and what is on the menu. Give us the time of day that we should arrive and an idea what to wear, and Please give a full description of your Portal Stone Signature. Donít want anyone to become lost in our travels.

I will start our Progressive Holiday on the West Coast in California

For this Sunday afternoon, please let me invite you all to a Californian Victorian Tea Luncheon.

We will be trimming the Grand Noble Fir at 2:00pm. {Please do your calculations for Pacific Standard Time.} The Silver tipped branches of the Fir are well layered in the old fashioned style and the ornaments of glass and silk are plenty.  They just await your touch to make them shine within the boughs of the evergreen. 

Our 1892 home is decked out if holiday fashion. The dining room is set for an Afternoon Tea at 4:00pm.

On the menu:
 A selection of freshly prepared finger sandwiches: 
            Kelsonís chicken and cranberry salad,
            Denisís Egg salad with cress
            Duncanís Cucumber and butter
 Savouries include:
            Cassan Mushroom lemon dill tartlets
            Lendour Bacon wrapped asparagus
            Corwyn tea tarts
 Fresh baked warm scones will be served of Blueberry, Pecan and Orange poppyseed.
 Served with fruit preserves, imported clotted cream and lemon curd, also newly discovered Key Lime curd that is most sumptuous.
 Cake and sweets will be a plenty
 Hot teas and Champagne

Suggestion of what to wear? Hum let us see.  The weather is expected to be most fine. A cool sunny 65F. The house is warmed. The craftsman fireplace and mantel will be lit for visual joy and to warm your fingers. We recommend semi formal attire, Victorian ensemble is most welcome, but please no hoops{The house is just not that big.} Please bring a wrap, as the Portal stone is outside and though your arrival may be fine and sunny, the evening departure may be a bit chill.

As to the HorseFeather Portal Signature. We have put a small Portal to be found at my home. No more than three persons arrival at any time. Two will have room to spare. The unique signature is an image of long black horse-hair manes  and blue peacock tail feathers. And yes the birds will sing{scream} out announcing your arrival.  Donít be surprised when you arrive between the junipers, with the butterfly Koi fish pond before you. Please donít step off the portal stone until you have found your equilibrium. I donít want to have to pull anyone out of the fish pond.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:45:53 PM by Laurna »

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
Re: Progressive Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
What a wonderful idea Laurna.

And that tea looks utterly scrumptious.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
For the St. Johns River element of the celebration, the red-and-gold bells on the door in front of the Portal square will tell you that you have arrived at the right place.  The Portal signature itself is a golden-tan tabby cat playing with a catnip mouse.  She will meow to announce your presence, and feel free to pet her.  She likes meeting new people.

The weather here is in the 60's F (about 18 C), but after sundown it will likely be closer to 55 F (13 C).  Dress for your own comfort.

There will be homemade bread with softened butter (both plain and honey butter), homemade tomato soup, Tex-Mex shredded chicken, an Italian-style bean, tomato, and spinach stew, plus green beans seasoned with small pieces of crisp bacon.  For dessert, there will be chocolate-covered strawberries that were macerated in Prosecco before being coated with the chocolate, banana bread, and snickerdoodles.  Possibly also chocolate chip cookies, if I get around to baking them.  :)

We will not be decorating the house or a tree because of the aforementioned cat (who has a tendency to turn ornaments into pucks for Cat League hockey), but feel free to bring any food or beverages you would like to bring.

ETA a photo of the bread when I had just taken it out of the oven yesterday evening.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:30:34 PM by DesertRose »
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
The fresh warm bread with honey butter and the chochlate covered strawberries will most definitly bring me to your portal stone doorway. Can not wait.

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »
For our northern celebration, please dress warm.  Toque, mittens and scarves are the best. 

The portal signature is a loon, and you will hear its call when you arrive at the cottage on the lake.  Step inside and warm yourself by a 1940ís stone fireplace (now propane to befit modern times).  Dinner will be more like breakfast:  blueberry or buckwheat pancakes, pea meal back bacon, and true Canadian maple syrup.  There will be Niagara wine and northern craft beers (who says beer is not for breakfast)!  And butter tarts for dessert;  raisin, pecan or plain Ė all with savoury brown sugar. 

The bonfire will be lit by the lakeshore (though the lake is frozen by now).  Toasted marshmallows on a stick.  Watch as the stars come out, and with luck, we may see the northern lights.

As the moon rises, look across the lake; silhouetted against the night, you might see the majestic Christmas moose.   
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 06:20:28 PM »
Ooh, proper Canadian maple syrup!  I'm sold!  :D

* DesertRose goes to find every long-sleeved shirt and jacket she owns.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
 Everyone is clearly going to be far too full to eat anymore tonight! But you are welcome to warm up at  my Chateau in Bremagne for the night. In the morning at the great table in the great Hall, we'll have a sumptuous seasonal breakfast, with croissants, cream puffs and both sweet and savory eclairs, smoked salmon, fresh cheeses and scrambled eggs, all prepared by my chef. The menu will also feature hot chocolate, tea and coffee and fresh oranges from the Southern ports of bremagne Naturally, I'll welcome everyone's help decorating my Great Hall following breakfast. 
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
I'll bring pine cones and fresh evergreen branches.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
Jerusha, that is a wondrous white Christmas holiday. The bonfire by the lake was so warm, I thought we would melt your frozen lake.  The northern lights are spectacular.  Then after to travel to Shiral's Chateau in Bremagne. Ah what a comfortable local to finish off the night. Lovely breakfast, so glad that plenty of Jerusha's Canadian maple syrup is on hand.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
Of course, you realize there are Twelve Days of Christmas, right? So there will be plenty of time for merrymaking the following evening as well.

Bishop Duncan knows I have a bad cold, so he has graciously offered to host the holiday festivities in the auxiliary bishop's tower at the Archbishop of Rhemuth's palace.

He apologizes that it is a somewhat cozier space than Kelson's Great Hall, but he thinks it should suffice for the number of forum members likely to turn up.

The kitchen staff are still discussing the menu options, but some of the tentative options are as follows:

Sugared almonds and/or marchpane (almond paste) fruit
Roast boar
Wine-braised coney
Pork and venison pies
King's Chicken (chicken with ginger, anise, and saffron)
Blancmanger
Salmon with Wine and Ginger Sauce
Lentil pottage
Peas, Leeks, and Ham Pottage
A sallet of hothouse greens
Carrottes with Sweet Spices (fair warning, these carrots are more likely to be white and/or purple rather than our modern orange variants)
Pears in Red Wine
Apples in Snow (an apple dish topped with sweet whipped cream with a hint of rosewater)
Gyngerbrede
Vezairi Port
Fianna wine
Gold Lion ale
Mulled cider
Llanneddan mead

Possibly even some imported delicacies from some warmer climes which are quite out of season in Gwynedd (if readily obtainable at all), if he can break away from his duties long enough for a few quick Portal jumps with his head chef to some exotic foreign bazaar to obtain the necessary ingredients.

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Oh! Oh! What a delightful "Cozy" atmosphere.

I so look forward to the fellowship and the menu sounds wonderful. Wine-braised Coney, Salmon in a wine and ginger sauce, along with Apples in Snow and Pears in red-wine will be delicacies that I must taste.

I will be sure to give Bishop Duncan a kiss for his graciousness for offrering to host such a feast.

Do you... perhaps suppose... that Duke Alaric will be there?

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
Oh! Oh! What a delightful "Cozy" atmosphere.

I so look forward to the fellowship and the menu sounds wonderful. Wine-braised Coney, Salmon in a wine and ginger sauce, along with Apples in Snow and Pears in red-wine will be delicacies that I must taste.

I will be sure to give Bishop Duncan a kiss for his graciousness for offrering to host such a feast.

Do you... perhaps suppose... that Duke Alaric will be there?

I am certain that could be arranged, given that His Grace would almost certainly have been called back to Rhemuth for the requisite Twelfth Night Court, and I doubt he'd wait to turn up until the very last minute.

The Archbishop might well be in attendance also, though, so you might want to refrain from kissing Duncan and settle for kissing his ring instead, just to prevent poor Cardiel's eyebrows from flying up into his hairline.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
Here's a page full of links to medieval recipes, if you want to try your hand at some of them.

http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/

The "Peeres in Confyt" recipe is one I've had at several SCA feasts, and that would be the aforementioned Pears in Red Wine. Although this page doesn't have Apples in Snow, it has Strawberries in Snow, which looks like it would be essentially the same thing except that the "snow" cream is served up with strawberries rather than spiced baked apples. There isn't a recipe to the salmon with the wine and ginger sauce on this page, but the Salmon Pie recipe has ginger and anise in it, so might be worth a look for fish lovers wanting a change from the usual. (I'm not one for seafood myself, so the culinary delights of salmon served up with any sort of ingredient, no matter how exotic to the modern palate, are completely lost on me!  ;D ) The pages give the original version of the recipes with a modern translation below them, so you needn't translate them from Middle or Early Modern English yourself or figure out any archaic cooking terms.

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Demercia

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
I shall be there. 
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
Count me in!

-- Old English Litany

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by DerynifanK
[Today at 08:53:24 AM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by HoundMistress
[July 03, 2020, 09:09:35 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Laurna
[July 03, 2020, 04:29:58 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Bynw
[July 03, 2020, 03:42:50 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by DerynifanK
[July 03, 2020, 02:43:55 PM]

Re: Ghosts of the Past by Laurna