• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Experience Points (XP)

Started by Bynw, July 06, 2018, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

These revised XP rules will go into effect on Sunday, July 7th.

Some of them are already in effect and just being codified here so they are all in one place instead of strung out acrossed mutiple posts and private messages. These changes are being made due to the nature of a "play by post" game style vs the live game styles of chat room or face 2 face gaming.

EARNING XP

Individual XP awards are the primary away a player will gain XP for their character.

1 XP awarded if a post is about the player's character. The post must have that character as it's "star". This determination is made at the sole opinion of the GM.

1 XP awarded if the dice indicate a critical success -- double or triple 6's -- on any unmodified Test made for the character by their player.

1 XP awarded if the dice indicate a critical failure -- double or triple 1st -- on any unmodified Test made for the character by their player.

1 XP awarded for any post that is written that advances the game in some way. This determination is made at the sole opinion of the GM. This is a good way to get XP for a post that is not about your character and about what the NPCs are all doing if your character is not currently part of the action.

0 XP or more as a bonus awarded by the GM for whatever reason the GM wishes to give out that award.

Peer XP awards are given player to player. After each weekly session the players can give out 1 XP award to any other player of their choice. This is not required however and if a player chooses not to give out an award that is OK. The player cannot give themselves an award and cannot save them from session to session to give out more.

Group XP awards are for the entire player group. All the players receive the same amount of award.

1 XP awarded to the entire group once a month, on the first Sunday of the month, if all the players made at least 1 post in the past month.

0 XP or more as a bonus awarded by the GM for whatever reason the GM wishes to give out that award to the group.

SPENDING XP

This is the reason why a player and their character get XP. To spend it, it is the currancy of how the game works in the background.

Outside of the game, XP can be used for:

6 XP can be spent to increase a character's hit points by 1, there is no limit to the maximum number of hit points a character can have. The more hit points a character has, the harder they are to kill.

6 XP can be spent to increase a character's move by 5 feet. The starting move is 25 feet. This cannot be more than 50 feet.

8 XP can be spent to gain a new weapon proficiency group. There are only 3 weapon proficiency groups available. Light Melee, Heavy Melee, and Ranged.

8 XP can be spent to gain a new weapon mastery. This is what gives Advantage when using a weapon. This is for individual weapons.

10 or more XP can be spent to gain a new Trait. For a character's 5th through 8th Traits, the cost is 10 XP. If a player wants a new Trait and their character already has 8 Traits there are 2 options available.

• Remove one of the current Traits, except the Heritage Trait, and spend 10 XP to acquire the new 8th Trait.
  • If the player want's to have 9 Traits for their character, then each additional Trait costs 10 more XP. So the 9th Trait is 20 XP, 10th Trait is 30 XP, 11th Trait is 40 XP, 12th Trait is 50 XP, and so on.

10 or more XP can be spent to get a "Just Fudge It" card. This card allows a player to change any unmodified Trait roll made by the player for their character to whatever they want the result to become. Generally giving them some kind of automatic success. A player can only have one JFI card at a time.
The cost for this card starts at 10 XP and goes up by 10 XP after any card is used.
For example, 3 out of 5 players have a JFI card, each cost the individual players 10 XP to acquire it. If player 1 uses their JFI card, the next card purchased by any player will cost 20 XP, even if this is their first JFI card.

During the game, XP can be used for:

2 XP can be spent to add 1 die to Initiative Tests. If the character already has Advantage for Initiative, then they gain a 4th die but only the top 3 dice are used to determine Initiative.

3 XP can be spent to lower the Test success threshold by 1 point. Thus instead of succeeding on a 5 or 6, you can succeed on a 4, 5, or 6. as an example. You may spend up to 6 XP thus dropping the Test success threshold by 2 points. *NOTE* the success number cannot be lower than 3. If by spending XP in this manner would lower the threshold to less than 3, then excess becomes extra dice. Example. If your Test would normally succeed on a 4 or higher and you spend 6 XP it would drop it only to 3 and you would get 1 extra die to roll.

3 XP can be spent, once per combat, you can declare that the wound suffered was superficial and remove 1 hit point of damage.

4 XP can be spent to make a small change to their location (finding an unlocked window, finding something to help the current situation that would be reasonably available.)

Although having a large pool of XP available, is good for use during the game. It is ultimately just a roadblock to a character's development. Spending XP is what advances a Character's abilities.

EDIT: adding Just Fudge It card details above, in red text.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

This is great all in one place, thank you Bynw
Please add the rules for the Just fudge it card to the outside gaming section.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on June 09, 2019, 04:17:13 PM
This is great all in one place, thank you Bynw
Please add the rules for the Just fudge it card to the outside gaming section.

I just edited the post for the JFI cards

Laurna

Please remind me of the house rules for the Just Fudge it cards.
If I use my card I get a sucessful roll with out rolling, Yes?  Can this be used to replace a failed roll or do I need to use the card instead of making a roll?
If I use my card, is that they only one  I will get, Or is there a change I could purchase another card in the future.
Thank you
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on March 10, 2020, 10:26:40 PM
Please remind me of the house rules for the Just Fudge it cards.
If I use my card I get a successful roll with out rolling, Yes?  Can this be used to replace a failed roll or do I need to use the card instead of making a roll?
If I use my card, is that they only one  I will get, Or is there a change I could purchase another card in the future.
Thank you

Using the card you get to PICK that the die/dice rolls are. You have to use it before you "roll" but instead of rolling you just play the JFI card and say I rolled whatever you want the die or dice to be. It doesn't give extra dice. If you have disadvantage you still have disadvantage and only get to choose the result for 1 die.

So in the game post. You would just indicate you are using the Just Fudge It card. And say you rolled whatever number on each die allowed. Most of the time you are going to pick 6 for the heck of it. At least I would if I had such a card.

Once used its burned and gone. The next one will cost 20 XP to acquire no matter WHO buys it. Currently everyone has one of these card. If someone else uses their 1st card and you have your 2nd card and havent used it yet. The 3rd card will cost 30 XP no matter who buys it even if its only their 2nd card. These give such a powerful bonus it gets harder to do every time.