The Deryni Series > The Legends of Camber of Culdi

What if Cinhil had used his Truth Read abilities?

(1/4) > >>

Marko:
Recently I've been rereading the Deryni books and currently I'm reading Camber the Heretic.  One of the things I've wondered about Cinhil is what would have happened if he used the Truth Read ability.  With his continuing vocation to the Priesthood and his revulsion of magic after he killed Hywel of Erne using magic after Hywel had "cursed" him, one might understand why he stopped using his powers.  However, what if he had considered the Truth Read ability to be benign and continued to use it?  Would he have caught Murdoch, Rhun, Hubert and Tammaron lying to him?  Of course the biggest weakness of Truth Reading is knowing the right questions to ask, but with those four being so sure of themselves, I think that at least one of them would have been caught in a lie or two.

Bynw:
It's quite possible he would have caught them in lies. And unfortunately would have caught Camber/Alister as well.

Marko:

--- Quote --- And unfortunately would have caught Camber/Alister as well.
--- End quote ---
Not sure about that.  Remember that Stefan Coram / Rhydon of Eastmarch had fooled Wencit of Torenth for about 7 years and Wencit had no qualms about using his powers.

DesertRose:

--- Quote from: Marko on March 25, 2018, 06:22:07 PM ---Recently I've been rereading the Deryni books and currently I'm reading Camber the Heretic.  One of the things I've wondered about Cinhil is what would have happened if he used the Truth Read ability.  With his continuing vocation to the Priesthood and his revulsion of magic after he killed Hywel of Erne using magic after Hywel had "cursed" him, one might understand why he stopped using his powers.  However, what if he had considered the Truth Read ability to be benign and continued to use it?  Would he have caught Murdoch, Rhun, Hubert and Tammaron lying to him?  Of course the biggest weakness of Truth Reading is knowing the right questions to ask, but with those four being so sure of themselves, I think that at least one of them would have been caught in a lie or two.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Bynw on March 25, 2018, 06:39:50 PM ---It's quite possible he would have caught them in lies. And unfortunately would have caught Camber/Alister as well.

--- End quote ---

IIRC, in Deryni Magic, KK says that Truth-Read is a passive ability; one knows whether or not someone is telling the truth, but it would not reveal something like Camber's or Stefan's alternate identities unless someone asked a direct question about that, which isn't terribly likely in either circumstance.

It seems from the way Cinhil's son Javan discovered his abilities that Truth-Read just sort of happens; it doesn't seem to require active use or at least it doesn't always require that the Truth-Reader be trying to do so.

It would have been better for rather a lot of people, including but not limited to Alroy, Javan, and Rhys Michael, if Cinhil had deliberately used (or paid attention to) his Truth-Reading ability, though!

whitelaughter:
While it wouldn't help the human lords, the obvious way to trick Wencit is to bury memories; Stefan Coram may have spent a large part of those 7 years unaware that he wasn't actually Rhydon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version