collapse

Author Topic: The Foolerrie of Aprille  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
The Foolerrie of Aprille
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
So.. If you were to play an April Fool's joke in the Deryni Universe, A: who would you play it on (it can be on more than one person), and what would your joke involve?

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
Re: The Foolerrie of Aprille
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
Well, I've always regretted that the story's internal chronology wouldn't allow this scene to happen on April Fools' Day:

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,747.0.html

So I suppose I'd have to settle for Sextus convincing Denis Arilan that there is a "Bird of Paradise" in his office in dire need of a bishop's attention, only to reveal a luxurious, imported potted plant sitting on his desk when said bishop charges in, stole in hand in case the bawd he's expecting to find has sought him out for confession, and some strapping guard on his heels in case she's there to seduce him instead and needs tossing out.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Online revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:59 AM »
I thought we were being nice to Denis atm. It would be good though and not a thing Denis could do about it. Sextus was telling the exact truth.

I would like Derry with a little help from Richenda- to play a gentle joke on Morgan who just sometimes I feel is a little self-important in his feelings with them. Of course, he is very important and his word is law and they both accept that but he can be just a tad patronising. Haven't worked out the details and must rush now but something to do with a horse, methinks

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:57 AM »
Oh, I'm always nice to Denis! I gave him such lovely nephews and nieces, didn't I? ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
  • Favorite Book: The King's Justice
  • Favorite Character: Denis Arilan
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Oh, I'm always nice to Denis! I gave him such lovely nephews and nieces, didn't I? ;)

And more grey hair makes him look more distinguished, doesn't it?

Online Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
Evie you have been so kind to Denis over the years. In fact, you told the world about his nephew Sextus and his lovely daughter, Amanda. I am certain Denis looks to return that kindness by some Aprille foolerrie some day.

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
To Denis in her fanfic, Evie might be nice.

Mini-Denis, on the other hand....
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
To Denis in her fanfic, Evie might be nice.

Mini-Denis, on the other hand....

LOL!  So true.  It's that stern face that makes him awfully fun to tease.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Online Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
Quoted from: Foolish Endeavours: Lady Matilda’s Guide to All Fool’s Day Pranks   

"On a day when the natural social order is temporarily upended, knowing that all will be returned to its rightful place at the end of the day is a comfort that will let you sleep at night despite the horrible tricks you’ve played on people."

Suggestion #2 "Replace the Prior’s ‘personal’ supply of communion wine with water. Drop hints throughout the day that you feel God’s anger and wonder aloud if there’ll be any retribution."

However she gives a warning: "Take heed when performing some of these pranks, for not everyone will enjoy them in the spirit in which they’re meant. Not everyone will happily accept the role of fool on this day, particularly the Bishop, who will do his best to maintain the correct order and stop any pranks before they start. Especially if his wine is involved. And getting caught sneaking into cathedrals at night may result in additional penance and over-long sermons for at least the next two months."

Any one care to snick into the Cathedral and turn some wine to water?   :o  Oh Wait! It is Easter morning.  This might not be a good idea.  But then again, it is April fool's day, too.  ;D

Blessings all around, even to the fools and their foolerrie.

Online revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
As you requested my lady. Although perhaps not as light-hearted as you, and Columcil, hoped for.

Columcil and his fellow seminarians had endured a long lent in what had been a harsh winter even by the usual standard of Gwynedd. Though the days were lengthening the temperature remained cold and rising for the first devotions of the morning was made even worse than usual by the necessity to break the ice before washing. As the would be priests gathered in the great church at Arx Fidei their breath rose in clouds in the frigid air mimicking incense.

As if all this was not enough Holy Week had been led by a visiting dignitary, Bishop Arilan of Dhassa, the length of whose discourses and the severity of whose penances had earned him the thorough dislike of the seminarians.

Columcil had already earned himself an extra hour a day kneeling on the stone floor of the church having been unlucky enough to have been overheard murmuring to a fellow sufferer that "the De'il himself would be welcome after yon bletherer."

The final straw had come when Bishop Arilan had sternly forbidden the acknowledgement in any way whatsoever of All Fools' Day on the forthcoming Easter Sunday, elaborating at great length on how the solemn majesty of the day of the Lord's resurrection must not be demeaned by trivial and childish foolerie.

Columcil had had enough. He wished no disrepect to the risen Lord but he doubted whether it was Jesus' dignity that Bishop Arilan was worried about "He's gey worrit about his own dignity, an' no for that o' God. He's no but a toon tabard fer aw' his fine vestments."

It so happened that the Sacristan's duty had fallen to Columcil that day and it is to be feared that the devil of whom he had spoken so lightly took the opportunity to work his mischief. Rising commendably early, Columcil made sure all the communion vessels were in place, and the silver cruets filled so that when Bishop Arilan appeared in the vestry half-an-hour before the start of the solemn festival mass at which he would preside there was nothing left for him to prepare. The Bishop smiled with approval at Columcil and held out his hand so that the other could kneel and kiss the bishop's ring. As Columcil made to rise he felt the Bishop's hand on his head in blessing and heard kindly words of approbation "I am glad my son, to see that your penance has not been in vain." Keeping his head submissively bowed he hoped that his blush would be taken for humble embarrassment at being singled out for episcopal praise.

Bishop Arilan faltered only momentarily as he raised the chalice to his lips to drink of the consecrated wine and if he failed to do the concelebrating priests the honour of sharing the cup with him,  then that was his prerogative as presiding bishop. Likewise if the Bishop spent longer than usual on his knees in front of the altar before rising and blessing the congregation then most thought it just further proof of his devotion.

Columcil by now was most devoutly wishing that he had never allowed himself to be tempted and dreaded the moment when he was once again in the sacristry with the Bishop. Nothing was said however,. Bishop Arilan thanked him with normal if formal courtesy as if nothing out of the usual had happened.

The rest of the day was given over to a relaxation of the regular pattern of study and prayer and the main meal of succulent spring lamb was a much longed for feast after the lenten austerity and the privations of winter. But by the time they sat at table, Columcil could barely eat, surely judgement would fall upon him at any moment.

By next morning he was sick with fear and it was a relief when he was finally summoned to the Abbot's office. He had not really expected that the defence of All Fools' day would save his skin, nor did it. The Abbot read the portion of the rule which set down the use of physical chastisement for those too foolish to understand reason then stood tight lipped as a lay brother inflicted the apportioned stripes.

Columcil bore that with no resentment - he could not in honesty say that they had not been earned. He did resent the further penance that the Abbot decreed, a penance which had, he made clear, come from Bishop Arilan's own lips. For his desecration of the sacrament and the holy day of Easter he was to continue his lenten fast for a further six weeks and then beg for absolution from the Bishop himself. What Columcil could not know was that as the contents of the chalice had touched Denis Arilan's lips and the expected wine had been only water, for one horrified moment he had feared another divine intervention at this very altar and one which this time betokened divine displeasure. Rational thought had soon reimposed itself, helped by the memory of the unwonted docility of that uncouth border youth who had been so suspiciously well-prepared, but the shock he had received had made  him ill-inclined for mercy. All Fools'Day indeed!

(Psalm 46 v1)

Online Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
Oh No!  LOL, Oh Dear!  Did I just become the causation of young Columcil to earn himself an additional 6 weeks of lent?
Oh dear, oh dear.  ;) Poor dearest Columcil.  :-[

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
Alas, Bishop Arilan is not known for having a sense of humour.

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »

To be fair, the altar at Arx Fidei is probably not exactly Bishop Arilan's favorite place to relax!  And people who've just had a shock like that aren't always apt to laugh, at least not in the moment.  Maybe if Columcil and Denis meet again in the Ghosts of the Past, the bishop will remember the incident a little less sternly.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Online revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »

To be fair, the altar at Arx Fidei is probably not exactly Bishop Arilan's favorite place to relax!  And people who've just had a shock like that aren't always apt to laugh, at least not in the moment.  Maybe if Columcil and Denis meet again in the Ghosts of the Past, the bishop will remember the incident a little less sternly.  :D
I suspect the whole experience of addressing seminarians at Arx Fidei had been quite traumatic for Denis and not the catharsis he had hoped, hence the severity of his demeanour throughout. The terrifying moment of flashback at the altar was just the last straw.

However he is unlikely to get the chance to view Columcil more leniently, let alone recall this incident since the middle-aged Columcil is so mortified by its remembrance that he would rather volunteer to cross a field sown with mantraps than face Bishop Arilan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:00:27 AM by revanne »
(Psalm 46 v1)

Online Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 09:43:01 PM »
Something to look forward to reading when we finally, if ever, reach Rhemuth. LOL
I am sure the elderly Bishop Arilan will be at the king's side in this time of Mearan rebelion. And I will guess he will be as cantankerous as ever.  :P

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Ghosts of the Past by Jerusha
[Today at 01:48:59 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DerynifanK
[August 13, 2020, 07:55:11 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by revanne
[August 11, 2020, 03:33:08 AM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DoctorM
[August 10, 2020, 08:16:47 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DerynifanK
[August 10, 2020, 11:54:34 AM]

Re: Happy Birthday Derynifank! by revanne