• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,571
  • Total Topics: 2,734
  • Online today: 129
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 94
Total: 94
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 01:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on June 25, 2018, 03:15:07 PM
I wonder how Washburn is going to react to Feyd's story.

It depends on how good Feyd's memory blurring has worked. He tried to blur most of Wash's memory, love, and loyalty of his family and the Haldane's so that Valerian wouldn't easily see it and thus just kill Washburn outright. Again helping to keep Washburn alive. His reasoning of course is suspect. It could just have been something he ate that day. Or there could be deeper reasons yet.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

Feyd's description  of Blue Fire and it's effects rather sounds like the effects of LSD.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 25, 2018, 04:49:36 PM
Feyd's description  of Blue Fire and it's effects rather sounds like the effects of LSD. Hmmm.

LOL the only similarity is both are addictive.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Laurna your description  of the storm at sea  and what happened on the boat as well as Wash's experience was amazing. Do you have sailing experience?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DerynifanK

LOL bynw, I was thinking of the feelings of enhanced perception and abilities  but I looked it up and you are right, they were not so alike after all.
Also, I had no idea the dice could  cause you problems too, I guess I thought as GM you somehow had some control but I was wrong. Still trying to learn about gaming. Thanks for  being patient  and for the great explanations from both you and DR. I'll get the hang of  it yet.

Laurna

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 25, 2018, 08:10:26 PM
Laurna your description  of the storm at sea  and what happened on the boat as well as Wash's experience was amazing. Do you have sailing experience?

To answer you, Derynifank; Yes, during my 15th and 16th years of age, I lived on a 42 foot ketch rig sail boat. We were a family of five; my parents, and my younger sister and brother. We did have a few stormy passages, and I do remember standing next to the mast pulling sails down in a sudden storm and trying to tie it to the boom.  When your out in that kind of weather, you put your life preserver on and you tie a rope around your waist. Thankfully, in two years aboard Sunlit, no one ever fell overboard. Evie gave me the idea of the storm that took me back to my youth. As for the goddess dancing in the gold shell. We saw a live performance the night before last where that was the opening performance. A elegant lady tossing a pearl (large white balloon) to and fro while she danced. I needed inspiration and that is where it came from.

As to the gaff- rig ship, I picture the Dolphinia to be , low on the water, long and narrow beamed, about fourty feet long, good for running swiftly along the coastal regions, for moving small items and information. I messed up the description of the two masts. I was thinking of the ketch rig that I lived on with the aft mast, the mizzen, being the smaller of the two mast. but with a gaff rig  of two masts, it should have been the fore mast that was the smaller of the two and the main mast is behind. I will correct that in story, if anyone thinks that I should.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

That sounds so wonderful Laurna!

(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: DerynifanK on June 25, 2018, 08:54:14 PM
LOL bynw, I was thinking of the feelings of enhanced perception and abilities  but I looked it up and you are right, they were not so alike after all.
Also, I had no idea the dice could  cause you problems too, I guess I thought as GM you somehow had some control but I was wrong. Still trying to learn about gaming. Thanks for  being patient  and for the great explanations from both you and DR. I'll get the hang of  it yet.

Bynw does have some control as GM, but he is also subject to the dice when he wants an NPC to take an action that would require a PC to roll dice to determine the outcome of the action, just as the writers/player characters have control over their own characters and any NPCs whose perspective they're writing for any actions that don't require a dice roll to determine the outcome, such as conversations.

In a role-playing game, the dice exist to randomize riskier and/or more difficult actions, basically.  So, say, Laurna would probably not need to roll dice for Wash to engage rapport/Mind-Speech with Kelric or Richenda, because they are his brother and mother respectively and rapport and Mind-Speech with them would be quite easy given the relationships and the length of duration of those relationships, but Wash might need to roll to get into rapport or Mind-Speech with someone he didn't know as well, say, Fr. Columcil, particularly at earlier stages of the game story when they barely knew each other.

I hope that makes sense.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

Thanks DR. It does make the role of the dice clearer for me. I have never been involved with  gaming so I am learning. You and bynw have been really  helpful and patient with answering my questions  and helping me understand how it works. I do appreciate  it. And the writing is fantastic.

DerynifanK

Good news at laast! So glad Richard  and at least some of his crew survived . However I don't envy him facing Dhugal. Beautifully  written Revanne

Laurna

Dhugal might not say it, But I am going to.

"Huzza! Huzza! Captain Richard, Huzza!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

That was awesome, revanne, and I'm so glad Richard survived!  You had me genuinely worried.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I was worried for Darcy for a moment there.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on June 26, 2018, 06:38:29 PM
I was worried for Darcy for a moment there.

Good thing he's an honorable man, even when he'd really, dearly love to rip Jaxom limb from limb!

And to be fair to Jaxom, while he's been a pompous windbag, his betrayal was not of his own will, and while it's annoying to deal with a pompous windbag, it's not offensive enough a trait, generally, to merit being keel-hauled, though I imagine Darcy will spend some wishful thoughts in that general direction.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)