• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Codex Cover Art

Started by duck, July 28, 2021, 06:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck

The BBC website recently published this article "Canterbury Cathedral stained glass is among world's oldest" (https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57768815) which some here may find interesting.

Seeing the images of the stained glass windows did make me think of the Codex cover art although really they aren't that similar. Ones suspects that a cover picture for a publication can't be too complex or detailed. However, I wonder if the artist who did the cover art for Codex (Hannah Shapero, I think) was inspired by the Canterbury Cathedral stained glass windows or perhaps her inspiration came from another source entirely. Surely among our numbers is an expert on religious stained glass windows

Anyway, enjoy the article and speculate away and if anyone has the schematics for the "windolyser" please let me know

Duck

Laurna

Thank you Duck. What a great find.
I love the photo of the seven lengths of stain glass at Canterbury Cathedral. they are amazingly beautiful! They do have a remarkable similar artistic feeling to the Codex cover. I love even more that the date by this new technique used shows some of the panels to be as early as 1130. That is remarkably coincidental!  If stain glass on the cover of the Codex is part of St Georges Cathedral in Rhemuth than that fictional stain glass would have been made and placed in the Cathedral in the year 1130. Which is the year Brother Theophilus is said to have produced his work of the Codex Derynianus.
I so love it when coincidental things fall into place. Just makes it right.
May your horses have wings and fly!