collapse

Author Topic: Merry/Happy Christmas!  (Read 5509 times)

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
Re: Merry/Happy Christmas!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 01:27:39 AM »
I'm not sure how I forgot to do this, but now that it's in the books, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas.

Christmas chez my family was lovely; we had ham with a delicious glaze, baked potatoes (russets for my stepdad and the Pod-Child, sweet potatoes for my mom and me), green beans (my mother does this amazing thing with green beans and bacon that is, assuming you eat pork, the yummiest green bean preparation ever to grace anyone's taste buds), homemade cranberry sauce, and dinner rolls.

For dessert, we had the chocolate cream pie the Pod-Child requires at least once per winter-holiday season and the pumpkin pie I'd planned to bake at Thanksgiving except I was sick the whole week.  I asked my mom to buy pie pumpkins, and I had planned to go to the house the day before Thanksgiving and roast them, then, while the pumpkin was cooling enough to be made into pie filling, roast the pumpkin seeds and make piecrust.  When I got sick, Mom went ahead and roasted the pumpkins for me and froze the results, and we decided that she'd thaw the frozen pumpkin and I'd bake the pie for Christmas.

I may never bake pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin again.  The pie filling didn't bake up as dark as canned pumpkin does, but it was beautifully smooth and flavorful, and the filling didn't crack at all.  It might be the best pumpkin pie I've ever baked, and I've baked quite a few.  When we still lived in Charleston (South Carolina), one of my aunts is the family Queen of Desserts, but she doesn't like baking pumpkin pie because there isn't much you can do to decorate it, so I was on pumpkin pie and sweet potato casserole duty for every family Thanksgiving dinner from my early adolescence until I moved.

And Carys got her share of the yum, too; when I came home, I took a small piece of the leftover ham I brought home with me and tore it into kitty-bite-size pieces and put them on a little plate for her.  She was most pleased.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline DoctorM

• Fanfic Author
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »
It's still Christmas Eve in my time zone, but it's already Christmas Day in Europe, so Happy/Merry Christmas!

Happy Christmas to you as well!

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
For Christmas morning, I had my house all dressed in Holiday style. With parents and my sister and her husband (he is a fantastic cook so we let him free in the kitchen) we had  a wonderful Christmas breakfast. Then for dinner we were off to visit other family. Lots of good food.
Today the rain is falling from the sky, but it is a good day, to sit quietly and enjoy hot tea, the gifts of breads and cheese and some good music.
Merry Christmas, All!

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
For Christmas Day it was just DH and me, but there was turkey with herb stuffing, cauliflower almondine and chocolate cheesecake for dessert.  To be followed by Christmas Kitchen Clean-up!

Perhaps it's good Christmas only comes once a year, but I enjoy all anyway.   Hope everyone had a lovely day!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
Happy Boxing Day, everyone! I hope however you chose to spend yesterday, that it was a good and happy Christmas for all. Hosted my first family Christmas and even bought and decorated a wee Christmas Tree in honor of the occasion. So far, the cats have not destroyed it.... Fingers crossed!

In my family celebration we had lots of good food, fun and laughter and some very nice gifts were exchanged on all sides.  Today has been beautifully restful so far.      I still love Christmas coming and Christmas itself, but have also developed a whole new appreciation for Christmas going in my adult years. Left over ham isn't bad either.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
Happy belated Christmas everyone.

The run up to Christmas was very busy with Christmas Eve seeing two Christingle services back to back and midnight Mass.
Christmas Day was the first without DS who spent it with his fiancee's family - but we had a lovely day with our DDs. DH and I are getting into a routine with his stoma bag. He is so much better now - thanks to everyone for your prayers and good wishes - and his dementia has retreated back to where it was pre-op. I thought for a horrible week that we had lost him mentally so getting him back is a wonderful present. He was a bit grumpy because what he can eat us so limited but luckily it does include Turkey.
On Bixing Day DS and fiancee made the long drive down ( long in British terms being 3 hours) and we had second Christmas with Demercia too who brought the Venison and beef we should have had at hers if DH had been well. I was given several bottles of a wonderful non- alcoholic gin which kept me happy.
DDs were both given a fiddly little jigsaw each to complete, without a picture to work from, which turned out to be a request to be bridesmaids.
DS's fiancee and her Mum are wonderful bakers so they came bearing gifts of home made biscuits and Christmas cake.
I've been given 2 weeks compassionate leave which means I can have a good rest but don't need to eat into my holiday allocation. So DH and I are off to sit by a log fire in our cosy cottage and I might even do some writing.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Sounds like a very enjoyable Christmas indeed, revanne.   Glad you now get some time to rest and recuperate.  A little writing would just be the icing on the cake.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DerynifanK

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Kelson and Alaric, couldn't choose
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »
That is wonderful to hear, Revanne, especially the compassionate leave. And I'm so glad that your DH is better. A time of rest and relaxation is certainly a wonderful Christmas present for you both. I had the same thought as Laurna and have been rereading the Twelve Days of Christmas stories and greatly enjoying them. That was a wonderful idea.Enjoy your mini vacation. Will be thinking of you.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
Glad you had a happy Christmas, and have a chance for some rest and recuperation, Revanne. It's been a tough month for you and DH. Glad that he's feeling better, too.

Happy New Year with better health for all!
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Ohh, Venison and home baked goods. Yumm.  Revanne so wonderful to here that your DH is on the mend.  And nothing like have several family get togethers so that everyone can share the holidays over several days.
Writing? Did you just suggest we all should start writing. I heartily agree. I want to do some writing too.

I just finished the last piece of my sister's home made apple pie.  The best one she has ever made and hers are always good. This one was heavenly.

Offline DoctorM

• Fanfic Author
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14:05 PM »
Ohh, Venison and home baked goods. Yumm.  Revanne so wonderful to here that your DH is on the mend.  And nothing like have several family get togethers so that everyone can share the holidays over several days.
Writing? Did you just suggest we all should start writing. I heartily agree. I want to do some writing too.

I just finished the last piece of my sister's home made apple pie.  The best one she has ever made and hers are always good. This one was heavenly.

The idea of venison and home-made apple pie is a delight.

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: The Making of a Queen:Eirian's Journey. Chapter 2 by DerynifanK
[July 15, 2020, 03:26:36 PM]

Re: The making of a Queen: Eirian's Journey by DesertRose
[July 15, 2020, 02:18:16 PM]

Re: Hello everyone! by Laurna
[July 15, 2020, 01:36:49 PM]

Re: The Making of a Queen:Eirian's Journey. Chapter 2 by Laurna
[July 15, 2020, 01:33:43 PM]

Re: The making of a Queen: Eirian's Journey by Laurna
[July 15, 2020, 01:13:33 PM]

Re: The Making of a Queen:Eirian's Journey. Chapter 2 by Jerusha