• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me figure out a good Layout for Coroth Castle

Started by Laurna, September 08, 2016, 03:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

I wonder whether with de Nore, Loris and common the prowl they thought it best not to draw attention to Coroth.  And there were a succession of regencies.

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Laurna

The towers of Coroth are one of the great mysteries of KK's Eleven Kingdoms. They most definitely are a conduit of Magic.  We know they are laid out as the points of a perfect five pointed star. We know they were built upon very large ancient Ruin Rune Stones that stand for the five Protocols of Magic. We know there is a crept in the very center of the grounds. Ap Lewys's experiment blew out the upper windows on the four unprotected towers. The green tower was saved, presumably by the Great Hall between it and the center where Ap Lewys stood over the crept.  More information on the towers would have to come from KK or from fan speculation. And we do all like to speculate. That is the fun of it, YES?
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

Quote from: Laurna on November 06, 2020, 11:38:36 AM
The towers of Coroth are one of the great mysteries of KK's Eleven Kingdoms. They most definitely are a conduit of Magic.  We know they are laid out as the points of a perfect five pointed star. We know they were built upon very large ancient Ruin Stones that stand for the five Protocols of Magic. We know there is a crept in the very center of the grounds. Ap Lewys's experiment blew out the upper windows on the four unprotected towers. The green tower was saved, presumably by the Great Hall between it and the center where Ap Lewys stood over the crept.  More information on the towers would have to come from KK or from fan speculation. And we do all like to speculate. That is the fun of it, YES?

Speculation about these towers can be lots of fun. Do you mean Rune stones or Ruins stones? I was thinking rune stones with ancient writing on them related to the magic protocols. And did you mean a crypt in the center of the grounds? We know these towers are ancient, maybe even predating the Kingdom of Mooryn. I wonder if Orin may have visited there or even have spent time there, devising his protocols and overseeing the construction of the towers to guard their secrets, maybe held in the rune stones. It would be really amazing to be able to establish a direct link between Coroth Castle and its towers and Orin. We never did get to know what magical experiment Lewys was attempting. Wonder if he might have been trying to contact Orin or connect him with Coroth. You are right Laurna. THis is lots of fun.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DerynifanK

This is a description of Alaric's great hall by Alkari that I found in her story "Legacy"
in the splendour.   Daylight spilling from high-set windows was supplemented by torches set on some of the tall pillars.  Rich wood panelling, some of it carved ornately – tapestries and colourful banners – heavy iron chandeliers, their candles as yet unlit – two large fireplaces to either side, also unlit in the mild autumn – and at the far end of the hall, the ducal dais.   
I also looked at how Great Halls are used; for Ducal courts, for people gathering to eat, conducting the business of the court, even for sleeping. Question, should there be tables or benches set up in the hall or did they move, or remove and set up again for different functions? From what I'm reading, it was the main living space in the castle and had to meet a lot of different needs. France and others.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

That is a nice description by Alkari. Thank you for providing that. I agree there should be torches and colorful banners across the upper walls And I should add large Hearths.  I have tapastires hung over the second story walls.  As to the tables I think those come and go with need. Nice additions, I am just not artistic enough to try to free draw those.
Oh and Yes, I meant Rune Stones, as in Magic glyphs drawn carved on large flat floor stones in the center floor of each tower. Good catch, I will edit that.

Laurna

Playing the SIMs game lately(too much) but you can build castles on it. So This is my version of Coroth Castle.  It is built on the largest lot available in the game. I imaginethat Coroth from the books is actually larger than this and not square. But here is the closest I can come to what I know of Coroth Castle.

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany