• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,578
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 437
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 08:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me figure out a good Layout for Coroth Castle

Started by Laurna, September 08, 2016, 03:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

Definitely.  Though he would like to point out that he and Derry could have sorted your horse stall work out with no trouble
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DerynifanK

I think he would have liked it as it is lighter, a little less ornate, and appears larger. But first it was the throne room of the kingdom of Mooryn and I think it would have had more of the gold on the columns. Overall, I think Alaric approves.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

I do like the lighter look; it appears much more spacious, and I like the stonework behind the high table.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Nezz

I, too, like the lighter stonework as well as the lighter (maple?) wood of the ceiling. And I'm pretty sure either Alaric or Derry (or both) would be wondering why the horses get plumbing while they're still stuck with... not-plumbing.

Laurna

Quote from: Bethane on November 03, 2020, 04:35:39 PM
I, too, like the lighter stonework as well as the lighter (maple?) wood of the ceiling. And I'm pretty sure either Alaric or Derry (or both) would be wondering why the horses get plumbing while they're still stuck with... not-plumbing.

HAHAHA! I love that, the horses get plumbing but the duke does not!  LOL  Honestly, neither Alaric nor Derry would have cared to play with my barn plumbing. It required digging in mud, replacing PVC and installing a new waterer. I am sure his grace has gardeners for such tasks.

Although, if that was the price for the renovations for Coroth's great room, Alaric just might have gladly paid it with his own bare hands. The lighter wood ceiling is due to a different photo of the same great hall of Hampton Court. Obviously taken with better lighting. I like that color better too. However, the new photo did not  photo-shop as evenly as the first photo. I had to do a lot of cut and paste and resizing and even skewing a few parts to make it conform to the columns of the cathedral images.  I was going to try to make the side upper walls look like stone blocks too, but that became too ornery to get right. I do prefer the matching light wood paneling on the dais rather than curtains.

I wish I understood 3d modeling. I would love to try and image the castle grounds on the cliff overlooking the harbor. There is a river that passes by the north wall of the castle that sends some of it's water down the Groto of the Hours and into the castle ponds. Four of the towers are the same in stone work height,  however they are on uneven ground. So the blue tower appears shortest nearest the bay. The green tower is tallest because it must be taller than the roof of the great hall which is four stories up. The Great hall and the green tower also sit on the highest rock formation on the cliff side. It is said you can see the green tower from all four directions and even far out at sea. I would love to figure out how to draw that.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

I looked at it again and I think Alaric definitely approves of the newer version.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Wren

I also think Alaric would have liked the second one better. It does look more spacious but maybe not with tables in it.

He would still squirm through a state dinner.

revanne

Definitely the second one. Thank you for all your hard work on this Laurn, helping us to visualise one of the eleven kingdoms key locations.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Alaric would squirm though a State Dinner. No matter where he was.
Thanks ladies.
I envision the thick stone South Wall above the great bronze doors to have a set of three arched windows to let the light in.  The hall would be darkest in the morning as there are no east windows. The east side is the residents apartments. and then the highest curtain wall to protect against attack from the east. The hall would be brightest in the afternoon, letting in the afternoon sun through the clerestory windows on the west side.  And of course the main floor Solar is on the west side with large windows that open up onto the garden.  That is where KK has shown us that Alaric prefers to do most of his work. And likely where lady Richenda brings her ladies to do their needle work in the afternoon. The duke's apartments are also on the west side overlooking the garden, likely with loots of arched windows to catch the light.

Nezz

So what would be in those other towers (the non-green towers)? Is that where guests are quartered or where servants live?

Bynw

Not at all. The other towers have been boarded up since 1052 after the disappearance of Lord Lewys ap Norfal during a magical ritual he conducted there. His patron and friend the Duke Stiofan Anthony only left the Green Tower in tact. All the glass plates were taken out of the others and put into storage (presumably in the towers themselves.)

Such fun. I love the Green Tower and Lewys ap Norfal story.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

Though I wonder how they used the other towers before the experiment went wrong.  That's a lot of real estate.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Nezz

Quote from: Bynw on November 05, 2020, 07:15:19 PM
Not at all. The other towers have been boarded up since 1052 after the disappearance of Lord Lewys ap Norfal during a magical ritual he conducted there. His patron and friend the Duke Stiofan Anthony only left the Green Tower in tact. All the glass plates were taken out of the others and put into storage (presumably in the towers themselves.)

Well then, were do the servants live and guests quartered? Where would they put K&A when the come to visit? They can't very well stay in the barracks...

Laurna

I had considered that the rooms on the second floor east residence wing would be guest rooms. and the third and fourth floors would be rooms for the notable families of Corwyn when they stayed. Most of the servants of the castle would bed down on pallets in the Long Hall ( the large working hall adjacent to the Great Hall). I believe a majority of servants bed down in rooms around where they worked: In the kitchen, the artisan building, the barracks, and the smithy. Also the local clergy would have rooms next to the chapel.

What I had not considered, and thank you for reminding me, is having a guest room grand enough to house the king and queen. But I will guess that Alaric would have made some guest accommodation worthy of Royalty.  There could always be a royal guest room in the green tower on the level of the second floor. but the room might have no more than one or two arrow slit windows, for the secret stair way goes up on the inside of at least half of that tower wall. Interesting consideration.

DerynifanK

It seems a shame that no effort has ever been made to restore the other towers for use. Why would they be allowed to sit there empty and boarded up for centuries? Are they afraid of residual magic or of experiencing whatever effects resulted in the disappearance of Lewys? If the green tower remained in use, why none of the others? As someone commented, that's a lot of resl estate.