• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Marc_du_Temple

May 15, 2024, 09:31:38 PM
Thhank you all. Just read an artcle on medieval color theory to make sure I get my FS guy's color scheme thematically appropriate.
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,628
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 618
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 645
Total: 645
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 05:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deryni Healing question

Started by Doughal, October 28, 2015, 10:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doughal

First of all, Hi!  Long time fan of the Deryni novels, I think started reading KK's stories back in 80 or 81. 

I understand that Deryni healers couldn't heal disease or chronic conditions, but like with modern medicine (which also can't necessarily cure everything), could they have treated the symptoms and eased a sick persons suffering so that they would be more likely to survive?

Healers like Rhys would surely have known medicines to use to bring down fevers and otherwise ease suffering, but could they have used their deryni powers in any way to directly treat some of the symptoms of various plagues and diseases?

DesertRose

Hi and welcome!

I don't actually know the answer to your questions, although your conclusions sound logical.  After all, Camber, who wasn't even a Healer, could lower his body temperature for personal comfort reasons (I think in Saint Camber, when he was being consecrated as a bishop in his Alister guise).

You are welcome to come to chat on Sunday and ask KK herself.  :)  Usually, Sunday chat is at 7pm Eastern, but this week because it's the first Sunday of the month, we're doing it at 5pm Eastern to accommodate the fans in the UK and Europe for whom 7pm Eastern is midnight or later.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Even non-Healer Deryni were able to help themselves and others with pain relief, if I'm remembering correctly, so that would be another means by which a Healer could help alleviate a patient's symptoms.

(Oh, and welcome to the Forum! :)  )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Doughal

Thanks for the welcome and the quick responses.  That's a good point about pain relief, that alone would go a long way toward helping people be comfortable and therefore get more rest, which in turn would allow their bodies to cope with the sickness better.  That would definitely lead to a higher survival rate.

Laurna

In the modern context of health care. I believe the most valuable place for the healer would be in the surgical suite as closers. They needn't be the surgeons, but they could come in as the surgery was being completed and heal the wound completely. No more risk of infections, bleeding, or long healing times. Imagine every knee surgery healing perfectly, or instant healing on any type of surgery. That would cut back on a huge percent of hospital stays and people's pain during recovery.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

My understanding is that the Healer essentially provides energy to accelerate the body's natural healing abilities--which is why a Healer can't re-grow a severed appendage (although sometimes he might be able to re-attach one).   For example, a Healer wouldn't be able to make a diabetic's pancreas start producing insulin again (although he might be able to stimulate a Type II or Borderline Diabetic's to produce more.)