collapse

Author Topic: A difficult week  (Read 13090 times)

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
Re: A difficult week
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
A wonderful little story, especially "Denis Arilan in a bad mood was bad news at any time, irritating him during the Lenten fast was to be avoided at all costs."  Somehow it seems so true!  I confess to being rather fond of Bishop Arilan, but I don't think I'll transport any treats to him during Lent.  ;)

I suppose we could send him a chocolate bunny for Easter.   ;D

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »
Seems Lent has begun with its share of crosses. You will be in my thoughts and prayers all through the week, revanne.

Great story. Good therapy, no?
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
Great therapy indeed! Am still trying to work out why the Deryni priests in my head want to talk to me when I am busiest and when I get a chance to write they disappear. ;D

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
Great therapy indeed! Am still trying to work out why the Deryni priests in my head want to talk to me when I am busiest and when I get a chance to write they disappear. ;D

Just like mine tend to want to talk to me and feed me great lines of dialogue when I'm either driving or in the shower.  My husband has even offered to buy me a grease pencil so I can take notes on the shower walls, if that would work, but then I'd just end up having to scrub grease pencil off the shower, so thanks dear but no thanks.  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »
I have found that the shower is where my mind finds the answers to whatever I am thinking about. How to move forward in what I am writing, how to solve life's little dilemmas, even how to make a response on the forum. I have gotten pretty good at remembering that epiphany and jotting it down as soon as i have dried off. Unfortunately it helps me none-at-all when it comes to spelling, and latter I have to struggle with deciphering the little note I wrote down.

Revanne, I'll send you energy to do it all. Give the appropriate solace to the people of your parish and then work your magic with words about the little voices in your head. Go ahead and let them out when you have a quiet moment. Just don't forget to take a nice shower and get some sleep too.

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
Am still trying to work out why the Deryni priests in my head want to talk to me when I am busiest and when I get a chance to write they disappear. ;D

LOL, my characters do that too. Only sometimes instead of disappearing they rebel and start doing the Safety Dance.

The shower is one of the only places I have any alone time (though someone still seems to manage to find some pressing question to ask me through the door.  ::)  Though these days, I have too many other things to think about than fanfic.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
Half- way through!

Today I'm sure it was your prayers and thoughts that got me through.

I need to explain that we live in a big old Rectory which doubles as Parish office, general dumping ground for things that have no where else obvious to go and dispenser of cups of tea and butties to the local scallies (ne're -do -wells)

This morning I was trying to get my head round this afternoon's funeral being bombarded with emails from the family of tomorrow's funeral stressing about the details for that and I'm trying to explain my head wasn't there yet while being compassionate and patient ( that's where the prayers come in, patience isn't my default position).

In the meantime in my office my Godsend of a Parish secretary is talking to our fabric committee chair about a grant application which needs to be in on Friday, so I retreated to the hallway. Then she needed to show the guy who does the church printing how to use the new printer which has arrived and needs to be kept dry and warm so guess what is now in the Rectory instead of the vestry. Then the Church treasurer turned up to talk to her about the returns for the diocese and incidentally talk to me about our local church school where our church warden is chair of governors and I'm vice-chair.

So I unplugged my laptop to find it was almost out of charge and I needed to leave wires trailing all over the place and retreated to the kitchen and fielded several other emails. Persuaded DH he wanted a late lunch instead of an early one and negotiated with Dad that I would get his lunch in 10 minutes if he left me alone. Finally managed to get tomorrow's tribute emailed off to the family and turned to sorting out today's - couldn't find some of the paperwork but handed it all over to God and St. Jude. (our Church treasurer swears by St Anthony - me, I go straight to lost causes!) and eventually realised I hadn't ever had any because a family member was doing the tribute.

Then the folk who were setting up a slideshow of pictures for today's funeral turned up and the technology needed some serious praying over - finally leaving me twenty minutes to grab some lunch and get robed.

Just about to go over to church when one of our local scallies turned up - and as he helpfully pointed out in the time I had spent explaining why I hadn't got any time I could have made him a cup of coffee.

Stuck my serene face on and sailed across the road to take the service :)

(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
Glad you've survived the first half of the week; hopefully it's all downhill from there. In terms of difficulty, that is, not hoping it gets even worse!  :)

Aerlys, do I even want to know what our famous Deryni heroes look like doing the Safety Dance?  :D

Just spent the past two hours assisting in cancelling and rescheduling all of our Wednesday appointments, since our university is shutting down all but emergency operations (i.e. essential services at the university hospital) due to a winter snowstorm moving into our area tomorrow morning.  I'm looking forward to getting home before the roads all ice over again tonight.  Warmth, hot tea, purring kitties, and no need to wake up early tomorrow.  Sad to be looking forward to being snowed in and urged to stay off the roads, but if that's what it takes to get some free time around here....  *sigh!*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:12:42 PM by Evie »

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »
So time for a little fanfic writing, Evie?  *ducks and runs - FAST!*

revanne, I admire your patience and grace in what seems to be a torrent of expectations.  I detect a saving helping of humour (maybe after the fact at times) to help you see it through.  May the rest of the week go smoothly, and perhaps your chattering fanfic heroes will pitch in and divert you momentarily with some intriguing ideas.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Aerlys, do I even want to know what our famous Deryni heroes look like doing the Safety Dance?  :D

(This question comes from the woman who instigated Mini-Denis getting drunk off his keister in a Jayne hat?)

Well, once you get to know Rook, you'll understand.

Hilaire Belloc

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »
Now, now, I wasn't the one who gave Mini-Denis a boost up to the beer tap in the first place since I needed time to get the camera focused, although I'll admit to being the one who ended up having to peel him off....   ;D

It ended up being a great learning experience for him, though.  Dhassa needed a new AA group, right?  ;)

So time for a little fanfic writing, Evie?  *ducks and runs - FAST!*

Um...you do realize it usually takes me more than a day to write a full story, unless it's just a tiny little vignette you're wanting, right?  :D Though maybe I'll have enough time to add another scene or two to my current story-in-progress. My husband was teasing me tonight about thinking of the snow day as AlSnoWriDay (Alabama Snow Writing Day) rather than waiting for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) to get some writing done.

revanne, here's a thought...get our Deryni clergy to help you with your workload!  Oh, wait....  *sigh*  OK, never mind. Back to the drawing board.

--WARNING!!!--

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
"revanne, here's a thought...get our Deryni clergy to help you with your workload!  Oh, wait....  *sigh*  OK, never mind. Back to the drawing board."

It's fairly disconcerting when my mind wonders in Church and Duncan or Joram take the oppurtunity to put their oars in. Unfortunately we don't do the latin Mass so not sure how much help they'd be. What do you mean they're not real  ;D

More seriously thank you everyone for your prayers, good wishes and spiritual sharing of cake. It's been hard but I have a day off on Saturday so a chance for a bit of a break. And then early chat on Sunday - I almost held out last week but exhaustion won out.

I've chilled out this evening by typing out what I've written of Duncan's ordination ;)
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
"revanne, here's a thought...get our Deryni clergy to help you with your workload!  Oh, wait....  *sigh*  OK, never mind. Back to the drawing board."

It's fairly disconcerting when my mind wonders in Church and Duncan or Joram take the oppurtunity to put their oars in. Unfortunately we don't do the latin Mass so not sure how much help they'd be. What do you mean they're not real  ;D

Now, I never said they aren't real!  They're both at least as real as the Velveteen Rabbit, though hopefully without quite the same bittersweet ending.   ;D

More seriously thank you everyone for your prayers, good wishes and spiritual sharing of cake. It's been hard but I have a day off on Saturday so a chance for a bit of a break. And then early chat on Sunday - I almost held out last week but exhaustion won out.

I'm glad you'll get a bit of a break this weekend. I was told I missed you by just a few minutes last Sunday.  :'(   Though thanks for the reminder, I had almost forgotten that this upcoming Sunday is early chat!

I've chilled out this evening by typing out what I've written of Duncan's ordination ;)

SQUEE!!! SQUEE!!! SQUEEEEeeeeEEEEeeeEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!1!1!!!!!!!!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by HoundMistress
[August 02, 2020, 05:57:28 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Jerusha
[August 02, 2020, 05:05:46 PM]

KK Zoom 2 Aug 2020 by Bynw
[August 02, 2020, 04:47:36 PM]

Re: Ghosts of the Past by Laurna
[August 02, 2020, 01:21:28 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Laurna
[August 01, 2020, 11:26:31 PM]

Re: Out of Character (OOC) Thread by Jerusha