collapse

Author Topic: A difficult week  (Read 13103 times)

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
A difficult week
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
I would appreciate prayers for this coming week as I have 5 funerals to take and the emotional and spiritual energy needed is enormous.  And I've given up coffee and alcohol for Lent :>)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Re: A difficult week
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
Oh dear! That makes for a highly emotional week. I do hope that none of them are close family or friends. Take care of yourself while you see to others needs.
It is a very good thing you did not give up hot tea, rich fudge brownies, topped with vanilla ice-cream, smothered in nuts and toffee. Now that would have made life unbearable! Therefore, please treat yourself right and say it is my gift to you for this week.

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »
I wasn't close to any of the people themselves but I have quite close emotional ties to several of the bereaved so still quite difficult and always the struggle to find the right words.

Luckily I have given up none of those things!! I will enjoy, thank you.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
My thoughts will be with you.  I am confident the right words will come.

I'm making triple chocolate cookies tomorrow, so I'll set a few aside for you.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:56 PM »
I'll keep you in my prayers, revanne, and also set aside some soothing tea and a bit of cake for my quiet time today.  Surely we wannabe Deryni can figure out some way to share such simple comforts with each other despite the miles between us. :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »
" 'Duncan, a word'. Despite his episcopal status, despite his good standing with King, Council and Archbishop, despite the real, though slow and grudging, acceptance of Deryni in the population at large, Duncan could not repress a nervous shudder. His mind went back to that Ash Wednesday, several years ago now, when Denis Arilan had torn strips off him in a similar vestry. To hear Denis' dry command as they disrobed after Mass on this first Sunday in Lent sent his mind racing in panic through any possible sins of commission or omission. He was in no way reassured to see the sacristan, at a nod of command from Arilan, retreat through the door, leaving the two Bishops alone.

Denis Arilan in a bad mood was bad news at any time, irritating him during the Lenten fast was to be avoided at all costs. To his annoyance Duncan found himself returning to the stance of erring sub-ordinate as he stared at his hands; any minute now and he'd be addressing the man as 'My Lord'! Taking a deep inward breath he resolutely looked up, met Denis's gaze and in as neutral a tone as he could muster replied 'Is there a problem?'

'I would be grateful if you could explain the plate of cakes that have suddenly appeared in the portal. From their outlandish appearance I take it that they are a gift from your friend Evie. I have told you my opinion on your association with a female from another century, from a country we don't even yet know exists, but I'm not your confessor, thank God, so that is not my concern. Plates of cakes, in my portal, in Lent, are! Well?'

Duncan sighed and tried to think rapidly what he could safely tell Arilan . Unknown to most he lurked unseen on the borders of the forum enjoying reading most of the posts, though sometimes a little aghast at the costumes Evie pictured him in. He had been touched by Evie's concern for a priest with a heavy pastoral burden and, foolishly, as he now realised, offered to help. What could he tell Arilan in safety? Very little, though he ruthlessly suppressed a grin as he envisaged Arilan flicking desperately through his book of set penances trying to find the appropriate one for aiding and abetting time-travelling and continent hopping contraband.

'Yes, they are from Evie, but not for me. They are their way to a parish near to the Llaneddi border, to a priest who has a difficult week coming up. Same century as Evie, they seem to have got a bit lost'.

Denis Arilan's snort of disapproval and disbelief could probably been heard throughout the Cathedral. 'I think you had best spare me any more details, just get rid of them.' Turning to continue to disrobe he added sternly 'I think your next appointment should be with your confessor. And see if you can find ways of telling this priest, whoever he is, that cake is not appropriate Lenten fare, whatever the century.'

In his later confession, though an entirely secular one to Alaric, Duncan admitted that he should not have given into temptation at this point.

'I'll do my best, Denis' he replied meekly as he went to the door to make good his escape, 'I'm sure she'll be grateful for the correction. Incidentally I gather that in her time the Gwyneddian Church has just appointed its first woman bishop.' Rapidly shutting the door behind him, Duncan made his way to the portal to try and work out what to do next. Perhaps he should just take a little nibble to ensure the cakes had not been damaged during transit."

(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »
Perhaps he should just take a little nibble to ensure the cakes had not been damaged during transit."

And thus the evidence disappeared. All but one piece, in which cousin Alaric happily "got rid of."

"That was Arilan's exact words, 'Just get rid of them.' I believe his will has just been accomplished. I appreciate your assistance in this matter." Duncan said while pouring an earthy tisane from the kettle that had been warming over the hearth. "This should be a good substitute for the wine you have given up for lent, dear cousin."

"Thank you indeed. When next you happen to aid and abet time-traveling, continent hopping contraband, please inform my Lady Evie and her Ladyship Revanne, that they are welcome to use my portal anytime for the sweet payment of a fine cake as this. Very fine sweetness indeed." The duke gave an appreciative smack of his lips which was quiet out of character but showed his appreciation. Of course the thought of pleasure from Bishop Arilan's displeasure would have nothing to do with the his enjoyment of the delicate pastry. Or did it?

"I do have some guilt from eating Lady Evie's gift, however." Duncan said after a moment of consideration. "It had been intended for Lady Revanne, and she now has not the bolster of fortitude that the gift was originally meant to offer. Perhaps if we set the wards around the portal, we could concentrate our energies and send her our own gift of energy to see her through the week ahead as she cares for the members of her parish."

"Indeed. You are a thoughtful friend. I will make arrangements for the working tonight."  Alaric lifted up the silver medal around his neck. Touching the rim to his lips, he had the sensation that Saint Camber approved of the idea and would offer assistance when the time was needed.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
revanne, you're in my thoughts.  That does sound very difficult, but I'm glad you're in good enough spirits to write something that cute! :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
I love this warped forum....    ;D

And as it happens, revanne, I woke up this morning just a little too late to attend the worship service where I had planned to spend the morning, so instead I ended up having a delightful quiet time with God, with that slice of cake and cup of tea I mentioned earlier (I chose English Breakfast specifically, since you're English and it was time for breakfast!), and you were indeed in my prayers.  I also listened to a couple of online audio sermons from my local Episcopal church, which was enriching, even if tea and cake are but poor substitutes for the Bread and Wine.

I love your spontaneous storytelling and hope to see more of it!  How is Father Joram doing these days?  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Oh, and by the way, Bishop Arilan....

I have told you my opinion on your association with a female from another century, from a country we don't even yet know exists, but I'm not your confessor, thank God, so that is not my concern.

What sort of logic are they teaching in your seminaries, My Lord Bishop?  If I'm speaking to you from a particular country, then obviously it must exist, even if the people of your century haven't got around to finding it yet! Really now!  You accept the notion of time travel yet cast doubt on the existence of another land mass?  Surely that ought to be an easier concept to grasp than the possibility of females from the future sending cakes into the past!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
Thank you all for the prayers, kind thoughts and virtual tea and cake. And for the inspiration. Laurna, wonderful picking up of the story. Saint Camber's help will be much appreciated. Father Joram is coming along very slowly as it takes me forever to write and I don't have forever. Also Duncan is insisting on telling me about his ordination which is also half written. Hopefully some point soon...
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Ooh, yes, I want to read about Duncan's ordination!  *happy dance*

--WARNING!!!--

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »

I have told you my opinion on your association with a female from another century, from a country we don't even yet know exists, but I'm not your confessor, thank God, so that is not my concern.

What sort of logic are they teaching in your seminaries, My Lord Bishop?  If I'm speaking to you from a particular country, then obviously it must exist, even if the people of your century haven't got around to finding it yet! Really now!  You accept the notion of time travel yet cast doubt on the existence of another land mass?  Surely that ought to be an easier concept to grasp than the possibility of females from the future sending cakes into the past!   ;D

I more envisaged him cross because he hadn't personally and officially been informed about such a country's existence than disbelief in its existence. I can't imagine Denis Arilan happy that Duncan had access to sources of information which he didn't.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »

I more envisaged him cross because he hadn't personally and officially been informed about such a country's existence than disbelief in its existence. I can't imagine Denis Arilan happy that Duncan had access to sources of information which he didn't.

Oh, dear!  Well, I certainly didn't mean to offend the sensibilities of my favorite curmudgeon.  I know...I'll make it official by sending him a memo informing him of the existence of my country, and perhaps a map. That should suffice, I hope.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
 :)
(Psalm 46 v1)

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by revanne
[August 11, 2020, 03:33:08 AM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DoctorM
[August 10, 2020, 08:16:47 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DerynifanK
[August 10, 2020, 11:54:34 AM]

Re: Happy Birthday Derynifank! by revanne
[August 09, 2020, 09:35:57 PM]

KK Chat -- 9 August 2020 by DesertRose
[August 09, 2020, 07:41:14 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by Jerusha