• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 87
Total: 87
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 01:12:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun Discussions of TKD! Please have TKD finished before entering. (SPOILERS)

Started by Laurna, December 18, 2014, 03:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: drakensis on January 17, 2015, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: DesertRose on January 15, 2015, 09:09:29 PMThat all being said, I did enjoy the book, and I will pick up my own copy when it comes out in paperback.  (I have the rest of the CM trilogy in paperback, and I have this weird thing where all books in a trilogy must be the same type, i.e. hardback or paperback.)
I'm just the same. The publishing industry's shift away from pocket-size paperbacks to larger formats wreaks havoc on my shelves as it is without mixing in hardbacks (except where I buy a whole series in hardback).

To necro a thread here, I never did buy a copy of TKD; with one thing and another, I just didn't get around to it.

I did put it on my Amazon wishlist, though, and one of my SCA friends made a Facebook "Random Act of Kindness" thread last year, wherein those who wanted to participate would post a link to their wishlists and it was encouraged to check other people's wishlists and send them a little something if/when/as one could.  So I joined the thread, posting my list and granting a wish when I could.

And today, I opened my apartment door to find a package containing a mass-market paperback of The King's Deryni!  So the trilogy is complete on my bookshelf!  Yay!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

That is awesome, DR. Perhaps a little reading this weekend is in order before the book gets shelved.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on June 05, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
That is awesome, DR. Perhaps a little reading this weekend is in order before the book gets shelved.

Well, I'll need to re-read In the King's Service and Childe Morgan before I dive into TKD, so it'll have to be shelved for a day or two.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

HoundMistress

Re-read it last year. I love all the young Morgan trilogy. I better! I begged KK for it for years and it did not disappoint.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

Kareina

Just noticed this conversation, and these two quotes caught my eye:
Quote from: snuffybear on December 20, 2014, 02:29:05 PM

I never once thought I was reading about a young boy growing into young manhood, but rather a young adult. Yes, I get that he was something special, but I would like to have seen him act his age at some point. And losing his virginity at 11? Seriously?

and

Quote from: DesertRose on January 15, 2015, 09:09:29 PM

I did have to pause when I realized that Alaric was not yet twelve when he made his sexual debut; that's a bit young even in a world that considers a fourteen-year-old an adult.  To be a bit blunt, a lot of boys are not yet potent at that age, never mind playing games with maids of honor in hidden corners of summer royal residences.  :)

I found that part quite believable. Why? Because one of my friends (who would have been born in the mid 1950's) told me years ago that he was only 11 when he lost his virginity. His dad thought he was old enough, and encouraged one of his adult, female, friends to "teach his son a few things". For reasons we will never know, she did.  While not all boys are producing viable sperm by that age, some are, and it isn't implausible to me that in an unsupervised setting some boys that young are getting the chance to experiment.
--Kareina

DerynifanK

Considering everything that happened and was done to him while he was growing up, I always find it a little amazing that he turned out  to be such a fine man.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance