collapse

Author Topic: So, I spent most of the afternoon in the ER....  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
So, I spent most of the afternoon in the ER....
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
Today started off as a fairly uneventful day, but ended up with me going to the Emergency Room.  But wait, let me back up a little bit....

There I was at work, going through a regular day at the office, but around 11:00ish, I started feeling like something was wrong.  I was a bit...dizzy?  Lightheaded?  Not exactly sure how to describe the feeling.  The room wasn't whirling or anything like that, but if you've ever had a medication that made you feel detached and like you were observing yourself rather than actually inhabiting your body, it was a bit like that.

Since it was nearly lunchtime, I thought maybe I was just hungry and that the blood sugar had dipped a little too low. So I decided to suck on some candy I had in my desk drawer.  A few moments later, I had a bit of not-quite-nausea, so I thought maybe I was coming down with a tummy bug or something.  My daughter had a touch of some tummy upset early this morning, so I figured I'd caught something from her.

Went to the restroom to throw up, but ended up not needing to.  Decided to go back to my desk, but never made it past a few feet out of the break room before I realized that I really wasn't feeling up to walking that far down the hallway.  So I turned around and made it a few steps away to the breakroom table. 

And that's where the nurse manager found me, leaning on one of the chairs and staring at the table.  She got me to sit and asked me if I was OK.  I made some vague responses, not sure what.  And then I found myself being wheeled to one of the exam rooms.  (BTW, if you are ever planning to be on the verge of a fainting spell or whatever, make sure you're in a health facility at the time. It streamlines the help-getting process significantly! :D )

So, long story shortish, after one of our doctors did a preliminary check-up, he decided I needed to go to the ER for tests, since my symptom (all one of them) could have been caused by nearly anything from an inner ear problem to a TIA or heart problem.  One of my co-workers drove me to our ER, where I got to spend the rest of the afternoon.  They took my vitals, ran a series of lab tests, cardiac test, xray, asked a lot of questions about my symptoms (nothing but that weird, disconnected not-quite-dizziness), checked on my health history, etc. Since I was stranded there before my lunch break started, one of the doctors brought me what he promised me was "our World-Renowned Turkey Sandwich."  He lied about the world-renowned part, but since it was recognizably a turkey sandwich rather than mystery meat, and filling if not particularly tasty, I'll forgive the exaggeration.  By that time, my daughter (who had happened to call me to ask if she could return to school since she was feeling better just as I was arriving at the ER, and who subsequently got pressed into driving downtown so I would have a ride home later) had arrived to tease and pester me keep my spirits up.  Nearly ran my phone battery dead fielding texts from Hubby and my son, who had to show off his pre-nursing major cred and awful bedside manner by speculating on horrible potential diagnoses for me.  And I was finally discharged with an all-clear on all the tests they ran on me, except that my blood pressure is a bit high, but since they didn't know what it normally runs for me, it's hard to know if the high BP is causing the disconnected feeling or if the elevated BP is just due to the stress of feeling unwell and ending up in the ER.

So I'm at home in bed now, my car is still downtown, my daughter is working out the logistics of how to get a ride down there to drive it back, my son is finally done with the (non-emergency) doctor's appointment he was in the middle of when all this happened, and my husband....  Well, he's fine too, although still out of town.  He had a car accident this morning (completely unrelated to what was happening with me...I think it happened before he even got my first text), but he's OK, just achy.  His van's seen better days, though.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.  I'm supposed to keep monitoring my BP daily (which will be much easier to do if I can drive, since I can get it done at the office, whereas I don't have the equipment to do it here at home) and check in with my primary care doctor in the next few days.  But in the meantime, Dr. Luke is keeping an eye on me, and he has a better bedside manner than my son.  I am currently undergoing purr therapy as I type this. ;D

Prayers, please, for a less eventful rest of the week?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
Re: So, I spent most of the afternoon in the ER....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »
Good grief, Evie.  What a day.

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Checkmate and King Kelson's Bride
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
Oh dear Evie, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Are you sure you weren't experiencing a bit of telepathy? You need to compare your event with your husbands accident. I am not saying I believe in such things, but I have experienced sudden anxiety and discovered later that this was the exact time a love one had a physical difficulty. It is also very possible that whatever your daughter had this morning, you had it too. Some bugs react differently in different people.
No matter what it was, rest up. An afternoon like that is always trying.  And yes an ER visit with raise your blood pressure. You should have seen how high mine was when I went in to ER last week.

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
Anything you ate have Merasha in it, Evie?

Sorry you had such an unfortunately eventful day in a place most of us like to avoid, but glad you got prompt help.  I hope it will turn out to be "one of those things" and not the onset of something more serious. Tell DS to pipe down with the dire warnings--nobody needs that! Since cats lower your blood pressure and help you relax, I recommend you keep up the purr therapy! Nurse Luke is on the job, I'm glad to see. Tell DH I'm sorry about his accident. That's never fun to deal with, either.

Feel better soon!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Jerusha

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
Yikes!  Not the way to spend an afternoon.  I'm glad both you and DH are OK.  I think you should have Bishop Duncan have a look as well - it never hurts to get a third opinion to go along with the purr therapy.

I hope today is a much happier one!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline revanne

• Community Supporter
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
Prayers and best wishes  :)

Not entirely sure about Bishop Duncan as therapy if the problem is high blood pressure
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
Yikes. I have to agree that Helena might be a better option,  for the sake of your BP. Too bad Rhys isn't there with you anymore.

Aren't sons just great for coming up with the most distressing worst-case scenarios?  (My mom is, too, but it's far less amusing.) You should've whacked him over the head with an IV pole. Might have helped your BP level.  :D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
You should've whacked him over the head with an IV pole. Might have helped your BP level.

Whacked him with the IV bag to douse him in water, not the pole. Oh dear. If she gave him a concussion she would be sitting in ER Still. Not good!

Evie are you feeling any better this morning?
I hope the van is not too damaged and your husband is fine.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
Feeling somewhat better, but I have had a few short dizzy spells this morning, so I'm still at home.  Though my daughter was able to get a friend to go back downtown with her last night to fetch my car, so at least I am able to return to work once I can trust myself behind the wheel again.  I also have had some nasal congestion today, which gives me hope that maybe what is going on is just some mild inner ear stuff that the doctor wasn't able to see yesterday, but that will clear up with decongestants.  Let's hope.

As it happens, I spent the morning with Helena rather than Duncan--Mini-Helena, that is--repairing some broken necklace strands on her Viking apron dress.  Though Duncan was close by.   :)

Speaking of Duncan...my Mini-Duncan doesn't really look like my mental image of Real Duncan, but that face sculpt came as close as any I could find in a 1:6 scale  doll head, and at least bears some similarities of eye color and basic facial structure, so I went with what was available.  But a few nights ago, my daughter and I were watching some medical TV show (can't remember which one right now...it wasn't Grey's Anatomy, but it was some show on Netflix that was along those lines), and suddenly there was a human version of Mini-Duncan on screen!  I did a double-take, then laughed out loud and pointed him out to DD.  She said, "Nooooo...," then grabbed up Mini-Duncan and held him up in front of her so that she could compare his face and hairstyle with the actor on the show.  "Oh my gosh, he IS!  He IS Mini-Duncan!!!"  We were both in near hysterics laughing.  The actor's hair was parted on the other side of his head, but aside from that, he looked almost exactly like my Duncan action figure.  So while I don't think the actor would make a good movie version of Duncan McLain (even though he looks young enough to play Duncan at the age he was in DR), if there's ever a casting call for a Ken and Barbie movie, I know who I want to play Ken....   ;D  He was really cute, but in a sort of "Can I take you home and just feed you milk and cookies?" sort of way, not in a "Would you like me to hand you a polearm to fend off those Coroth ladies with, or shall I just take the subtle approach and point out the entry for 'celibacy' in the dictionary?" sort of way.  Or maybe I'm just feeling my age.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »
I'm sorry you're still having dizzy spells, and I hope you're right about it being an inner-ear/congestion type problem.

Short of being able to afford custom head sculpts, I don't think you're going to be able to get them all perfect, but so far you've got the Mini-Deryni pretty darn good-looking.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
So, speaking of living action figures, I asked my daughter about which show that guy who looks like Mini-Duncan is on, and a brief internet search brought me to these photos:

So, let's compare now....

What do you think?  Close?   ;D

Although this still comes closer to my mental picture of Real Duncan:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4s0zwgjvtolhr0/FotoSketcher%20-%20Duncan%20in%20Oil.jpg?dl=0
(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get a Dropbox file picture directly embedded into the post to make a direct comparison easier.)

And even that isn't quite right, but I don't know how to get an imaginary person out of my head and into an online image.   :'(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:33:57 PM by Evie »

--WARNING!!!--

Offline Aerlys

• Baronet
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
I like the live actor better. Ken dolls just still have a certain girly-guy look to them that I have difficulty moving past.

And even that isn't quite right, but I don't know how to get an imaginary person out of my head and into an online image.   :'(

Like I keep saying, Deryni Mind Recognition Software. I'll get my minions working on it.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:22:01 PM by Aerlys »
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
That young actor does look like the Ken-cum-mini-Duncan, but I see why you think he's cute in the milk-and-cookies way.  :)

Offline Laurna

• Community Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
He is very mini-Duncan! I can see why you saw it right off. I think if you gave this young actor the artist Duncan's hair style and about five years of aging, he will make the perfect Duncan matching that image.  The age I see him at now would be 16, about the age Duncan was when he married Maryse. So film a scene with him and Maryse today and see how he ages.  Definitely, the boy next door type.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
I think he's actually probably in his twenties, since IIRC he plays an intern on a medical show, but he's a quite youthful looking twenty-something, so I could see him playing a sixteen-year-old. It would fit into a long tradition of teen characters being portrayed by young looking actors in their twenties.

--WARNING!!!--

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by revanne
[August 11, 2020, 03:33:08 AM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DoctorM
[August 10, 2020, 08:16:47 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DerynifanK
[August 10, 2020, 11:54:34 AM]

Re: Happy Birthday Derynifank! by revanne
[August 09, 2020, 09:35:57 PM]

KK Chat -- 9 August 2020 by DesertRose
[August 09, 2020, 07:41:14 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by Jerusha