FanFiction > Pretender's Gambit

Pretender's Gambit - Chapter Six

<< < (2/3) > >>

Laurna:
I Thank everyone for taking the time to read this up to this moment. I will thank Drakensis, Jerusha, Revanne and DerynifanK for adding comments. It is rewarding to know that Evie's grammar-checker and content-checker paid off. In this case the content-checker was "You know those cheesy old vampire movies where the vampire killer pointedly brandishes a cross held before him to keep the vampire at bay? This priest reminds me of that with all his cross brandishing. LOL!" While I was laughing outrageously at this comment, I responded "Then you would not be surprised to find out that that was kind of the same image that I started out with."  Rather quickly, I rewrote that "raving insane" false-priest to just "distinctly creepy"  (great description, Revanne, LOL!)  I think Evie wanted me to tone him down more, but I kind of liked him being "creepy".

I have to give special thanks to Revanne for answering my questions about small medieval churches, she helped the church take form. She was the one to suggest earthenware as cups and containers, which I would not have thought of. She also suggested mead which I liked the idea of; poisoning good wine just seemed like a waste.  Although she might say that about it being a waste of good mead. LOL  I have never tried mead, so I can not say.

This proves that going to the experts for advice is always a good thing.

The last chapter is a mess, half written, half in the brain,(not written).  Need to get this done soon so Evie can go on her vacation without worrying about my mess.  Guess what I am going to be doing this weekend. LOL


DesertRose:

--- Quote from: Laurna on May 05, 2017, 04:00:08 pm ---She also suggested mead which I liked the idea of; poisoning good wine just seemed like a waste.  Although she might say that about it being a waste of good mead. LOL  I have never tried mead, so I can not say.

--- End quote ---

Mead is just wine made with honey, rather than grapes (or other fruit, but the overwhelming majority of wine, especially commercially produced wine, is made from grapes) as the main base.  Sometimes it's flavored with fruit and/or herbs, though, and it can be sweet or dry or somewhere in between, just like wine can be.  What you'll like in a mead depends on your tastes; if you don't like sweet drinks, then you're probably going to prefer mead on the drier end of the spectrum, but if you do like sweet drinks, you'll prefer yours sweeter.  And just like wine, there are well-made meads, mediocre ones, and bad to awful ones.

People tend to think because the base is honey that mead is therefore automatically sweet because honey is sweet, but that isn't necessarily true.  It depends on a number of factors where on the sweet-to-dry spectrum the final mead will be, even though the honey that is a sine qua non main ingredient is undoubtedly sweet.

/removes lecturer's cap and robe and shuts up  ;)

Excellent installment in an enthralling story, Laurna.  Keep it up.

Laurna:

--- Quote from: DesertRose on May 05, 2017, 04:11:45 pm ---

Mead is just wine made with honey...   Sometimes it's flavored with fruit and/or herbs, though, and it can be sweet or dry or somewhere in between, just like wine can be... 


--- End quote ---

Good morning DR, I am hoping the morning is being good to you. When I think of mead, I think of Friar Tuck caring for his bees in the British series Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed and Jason Connery. (Don't ask me to pick between the two actors, because I love them both.) I am not normally a person who partakes in beverages of alcohol. I like a champagne on a special occasion. My mom likes a red wine but I usually can not drink more than a few sips. I have liked a sweet rose in the past. I remember some from France. Unlike most of Gywnedd's noblemen, I would probably like the sweet wines of Dhassa, if they are more of a light fruity flavor and not heavy-sweet. (I am thinking Alaric Morgan would put his nose up and walk away from me for this reason alone, so don't tell him.  LOL) I always thought of mead as being cloyingly sweet; if it is not that, perhaps I should give it a taste test.


--- Quote from: Jerusha on May 05, 2017, 09:37:39 am ---I have always admired Micheal, and it was nice to see that she is still a source of strength for the Haldane kings.

--- End quote ---
I had finally finished The Bastard Prince (I know, I am sorry that it took me two decades to read it.) I was actually surprisingly taken by Michaela, and I wanted to see her grow into being a strong yet kind person. In a protective sense, she is the Matriarch of Gwynedd. I hope I have achieved in giving her a place of honor in my story. 


--- Quote from: drakensis on May 05, 2017, 02:30:46 am ---Nicely done empowerment ritual...

--- End quote ---


--- Quote from: DerynifanK on May 05, 2017, 01:53:40 pm ---The ceremony and the appearance of St Camber fascinating.

--- End quote ---

I have always had a fascination with Camber. I love to have him make an appearance when ever possible. I would think in the early years following his real death, he would want to help his descendants and the Haldanes as much as possible. Also I think he would like to participate in Church Mass and Deryni Rituals when the moments were poignant. As the decades fade by for him, I would think he would find Gwynedd too much changed and less familiar and therefor not break back into the earthly world without having specific cause: ordinations and protecting young Haldane kings like Kelson from bad influences seem inviting to him.  I enjoy the mystery of our Saint Camber.


--- Quote from: DerynifanK on May 05, 2017, 01:53:40 pm ---Wonderful chapter, worth waiting for but raised a number of questions. What information will they get from that murderous Torenthi? Want to know more about Vince. Also want to know more about that church and what has gone on before.

--- End quote ---

The answer for our murderous Torenthi will be forth coming.  Vince will have some more in the next chapter as well. And you have not seen the last of our little church. But as for finding out about this church's past... hmmm. Perhaps someone would like to write a short story about Camber MacRorie in his early years (I was just thinking about the autumn of 862, when he has been asked to put aside his vocation due to the death of his brother which has made him heir to the County of Culdi.  Perhaps he has left the University of Gregotha to go on a mind searching escape and finds himself in the small village of Shanbogh.) If anyone wants to tell us about it, I would dearly love to read that. ;D I fear I do not have the time to explore those years, nor the experience to explore those feelings.     

Have a great day, everyone!

DesertRose:

--- Quote from: Laurna on May 06, 2017, 01:41:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: DesertRose on May 05, 2017, 04:11:45 pm ---

Mead is just wine made with honey...   Sometimes it's flavored with fruit and/or herbs, though, and it can be sweet or dry or somewhere in between, just like wine can be... 


--- End quote ---

Good morning DR, I am hoping the morning is being good to you. When I think of mead, I think of Friar Tuck caring for his bees in the British series Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed and Jason Connery. (Don't ask me to pick between the two actors, because I love them both.) I am not normally a person who partakes in beverages of alcohol. I like a champagne on a special occasion. My mom likes a red wine but I usually can not drink more than a few sips. I have liked a sweet rose in the past. I remember some from France. Unlike most of Gywnedd's noblemen, I would probably like the sweet wines of Dhassa, if they are more of a light fruity flavor and not heavy-sweet. (I am thinking Alaric Morgan would put his nose up and walk away from me for this reason alone, so don't tell him.  LOL) I always thought of mead as being cloyingly sweet; if it is not that, perhaps I should give it a taste test.

--- End quote ---

If you buy commercially produced mead, I would look for one on the moderately-sweet side, then, and if you go to a store such as Total Wine or better yet, a local mead producer, they should have knowledgeable staff to help you make a selection. 

If you get mead from someone who makes their own (depending on your local laws around alcohol production [most jurisdictions allow a fairly large quantity of beer, wine, and/or mead (but not distilled spirits, because that production is tricky to do safely) to be produced by private citizens for their own use/use of friends and family at parties, etc., but selling it is generally illegal without a (usually expensive) license], thus it may not be legal for someone to sell you the mead they make, but they may be willing to trade a bottle of mead for something of value that you can offer [maybe something you sew for them?], in a barter-type transaction, which is pure legal sophistry but does not count as "selling" the alcoholic beverage and thus allows the mead-maker to avoid legal trouble), let them know that you're looking for something lightly fruity and not overwhelmingly sweet but not dry either.

Wow.  I'm the Queen of Parenthetical Asides today, as well as still wearing my lecturer's cap and robe.  :P

Evie:

--- Quote from: Laurna on May 05, 2017, 04:00:08 pm ---I Thank everyone for taking the time to read this up to this moment. I will thank Drakensis, Jerusha, Revanne and DerynifanK for adding comments. It is rewarding to know that Evie's grammar-checker and content-checker paid off. In this case the content-checker was "You know those cheesy old vampire movies where the vampire killer pointedly brandishes a cross held before him to keep the vampire at bay? This priest reminds me of that with all his cross brandishing. LOL!" While I was laughing outrageously at this comment, I responded "Then you would not be surprised to find out that that was kind of the same image that I started out with."  Rather quickly, I rewrote that "raving insane" false-priest to just "distinctly creepy"  (great description, Revanne, LOL!)  I think Evie wanted me to tone him down more, but I kind of liked him being "creepy".


--- End quote ---

LOL!  "Creepy" worked just fine.  The original Stark Raving Guano version made me wonder why our heroes didn't just run straight back out the church door at the sight of him!    ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version