FanFiction > Pretender's Gambit

Pretender's Gambit- Chapter Four

<< < (3/4) > >>

Gilreth:
Great chapter Laurna - finally managed to find some spare time to read it :)

On the subject of historical sites - I am currently starting the process of dragging my 5 year old round them. Slowly though - and thankfully we have both National Trust & English heritage membership which covers a wide number of places. At the moment it is mainly the big outdoor ones as he is not at an age to appreciate interiors yet.....

Laurna:
Traveling England and then Scotland is what I plain to do when I retire.(Don't know when that will be yet.) Being "Dragged around" to all the historical sites would be an absolute pleasure.

As for chapter 5, it got put back together, but the amount of missing and displaced commas, among other grammatical errors has me questioning the use of the English language. Can I blame English grammar rules on the Brits. What were they thinking? I am never going to understand how it works. :P

DesertRose:
Speaking as an English major, the grammar rules of English (and worse yet, the spelling rules) have no logic by any reasonable definition of "logic," unless you've taken at least one class covering the history of the language, which will at least explain how it got to its present truly peculiar state. 

Basically, English is the illegitimate offspring of an old Germanic language and early medieval French, with a couple of earlier Latin ancestors, and has furthermore spent the intervening centuries chasing other languages into dark alleys, beating them up, and scavenging their pockets for spare vocabulary.

TL;DR, it's not you, Laurna.  ;)

Laurna:

--- Quote from: DesertRose on April 13, 2017, 11:47:21 am ---
Basically, English is the illegitimate offspring of an old Germanic language and early medieval French, with a couple of earlier Latin ancestors, and has furthermore spent the intervening centuries chasing other languages into dark alleys, beating them up, and scavenging their pockets for spare vocabulary.

--- End quote ---

I love the "scavenging their pockets for spare vocabulary"   LOL that is perfect.  Thanks DR.

DesertRose:

--- Quote from: Laurna on April 13, 2017, 01:41:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: DesertRose on April 13, 2017, 11:47:21 am ---

--- End quote ---

I love the "scavenging their pockets for spare vocabulary"   LOL that is perfect.  Thanks DR.

--- End quote ---

You're quite welcome, but that's not a phrase of my crafting; however, I can't remember where I found it originally.  It's also quite true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version