• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 213
Total: 213
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Dramatis Personae

Started by Evie, August 02, 2015, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Is Katherine considering a Deryni Tales II?   The late, great Marion Zimmer Bradley used to publish a "Friends of Darkover" anthology every couple of years, and Mercedes Lackey publishes anthologies of Valdemar and Elemental Masters stories regularly.   Now that she's finished the Childe Morgan trilogy, she'll have time for such a project.

Shiral

I haven't heard of a plan to do so. I think it would depend on whether the original Tales was worth the cost, to Ace Books. I'm not sure how well it sold.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

LauraS

Quote from: Evie on August 04, 2015, 03:07:33 PM
No, I wouldn't be allowed to sell it from an ebook service since it is based on KK's copyrighted world, if not her characters (though it also makes fairly frequent references to some of her canonical characters as historical figures in this story's timeline). Even offering it as a free download from Amazon or one of the other ebook services might be legally problematic unless I had KK's express permission to do so. She is aware of the fanfic archives here and (I think) on Fanfiction.net and similar sites, but officially I think she mostly looks the other way, which would be harder to do if a Deryni book by a fan author were to suddenly become available for download from a more official ebook publisher and/or online store. If I were to change all the character names and enough of the other details to make it a stand-alone story that has no relationship to the Kingdom of Gwynedd and Deryni magic, I might be able to publish it for sale that way (it would take a fair bit of tweaking, but it could probably be done, since Modern Gwynedd is sufficiently different from KK's medieval version that with enough name changes and other slight altering of details, readers wouldn't automatically assume they're the same world). Though I'd be more likely to self-publish my own original novel-in-revision than try to reboot a fanfiction work, just to avoid any potential legal issues.

That said, I know that some of my stories that have been posted here have been downloaded to people's personal hard drives and then converted to Kindle (and perhaps other ebook?) format before, and I have no objection to anyone here doing that, as long as no one is attempting to pass it off as their own work, or worse, pass KK's world off as their own. It's certainly easier to carry a story around on a Kindle than on a desktop PC!
<Smacks head>  Of course...