• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Visionaries--Part One--Chapter Eight

Started by Evie, October 28, 2011, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

The coolest Hallowe'en costume I ever had was when I was 11 or 12 and I decided to go as the Headless Horseman from "Legend of Sleepy Hollow."  My father took some heavy wire mesh and bent it into the shape of a head & shoulders that fit on top of mine like football pads.  It had a hole in the chest I could see through.  We made a severed neck from paper-mache, then took an old black turtle neck of my father's and pulled it on over that; I could see through the cloth, dimly.  We then put an old tweed jacket over it and stuffed the sleeves with newspaper and my mother sewed a pair of gloves stuffed with cotton onto the sleeves and glued a riding crop to one hand.  I wore jhodpurs and boots.  For years afterwards it lived in the furnace room and scared unwary visitors.

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Rahere

Then there was the famous sign put up by George Thalben Ball over the Music Department at Kings College London in the 1960s, "Abandon Counterpoint All Ye Who Enter Here"...which does simplify matters when it comes to Hildegard. Mind you, I've always wondered exactly how she managed to keep her bunch spotless when the rest of the Rhine was full of Carmina Burana monasteries and nunneries, intermingled.

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on October 31, 2011, 02:04:09 PM
Now that sounds awesome, Elkhound!  :D

My late father was a Theatre Historian.

We never could top it, though, and I think that is why either the next year or the year after I decided I was too old for Trick or Treat.

Evie

Quote from: Rahere on October 31, 2011, 03:07:41 PM
Then there was the famous sign put up by George Thalben Ball over the Music Department at Kings College London in the 1960s, "Abandon Counterpoint All Ye Who Enter Here"...which does simplify matters when it comes to Hildegard. Mind you, I've always wondered exactly how she managed to keep her bunch spotless when the rest of the Rhine was full of Carmina Burana monasteries and nunneries, intermingled.

Well, moving her nuns to a different location from the monks entirely, even above her abbot's objections, probably helped a bit with that.  Even if the flesh is weak, if that flesh can't physically get to Brother So-and-so who used to be a source of temptation anymore because he's now living several miles away, abstinence would be a bit easier to achieve, I would imagine....   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!