• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Puns in the Codex

Started by Aquinas, April 22, 2009, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nezz

Quote from: Shiral on October 19, 2022, 01:03:13 AMThe marriage ran into problems because of Count Kermit's absent-minded way of catching flies with his tongue during banquets...

Not to mention his pig-girlfriend kept giving everyone karate-chops!

Laurna

Here is a small pun to jot down.
Festil I Furstan  King of Gwynedd after the coup in 822 had many children, His youngest daughter born in 816 was Yolande Furstana-Festil Her nick name was the Festil Virgin.  Makes me wonder if she became a Priestess.:D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Laurna

"Orsal and Tralia" page 197

"On the IInd day of June in the year 603 His High-Higness Hewney von Horthy intermarried with Princess Dorothea heiress of west Tralia, and presented the Princess with a pair of Ruby-encrusted slippers as a token of his undying thanks."

I have been reminded that this was shown to me by Fruit a while back, at the time we certainly got a good laugh as Dorothy received her pair of Ruby slippers.

Just this week Evie discovered an oddity in the later part of this same paragraph:

"Much of this Eastern part of Tralia consists of salt bush and scrub, being unfit for cultivation of even for grazing, but providing excellent hunting of tri-antlered antelope and the lustrous lupesculus during the waning months of Autumn."

What could possibly be a tri-antlered antelope? First of all, antelope don't have antlers, they have horns. They do not shed their horns the way that deer shed their antlers. Tri- antlered?  Are we now talking about a three horned mythical creature? Curiosity sent me looking up what a Lustrous Lupesculus is. No results what so ever, not even a latin name for an animal.

The paragraph continues:
"The Princess Hortensia von Horthy wrote in her 'Leme on a Lepine Leavetaking' that "nothing could be finer than a lambent Lepusiner," but madame Stavroula notes in her 'Commentary on Corolary' that "the Lady Hortensia had no sense of taste or smell in her latter years, making any invitations to her 'soirees des lapins' eminently resistible."

Anyone care to shed a light on these mythical creatures of Tralia.  Perhaps we need to travel to Tralia in seeking the rare photo opportunities of finding these Lapins, Lepusiners, Lupesculus and tri-antlered antelope. Will we need a pair of Ruby Slippers to get there?
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

I'm hoping that everyone is aware that there's a bit of tongue-in-cheek going on with the name Horthy itself...