• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Martial Arts & The Deryni

Started by JediMatt1000, July 17, 2018, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JediMatt1000

This might already be a topic that has already been broached; but what types of martial arts would really resonate with the Deryni?
"Be the change you wish to see."

Laurna

First I know nothing about Martial arts.
If we are talking about the hand to hand combat portion of Martial Arts then I am not sure this would have a strong following. My reasoning is thus: No Human would ever want to be in hand to hand combat with a Deryni. One well placed grip on the wrist or touch on the forehead the the human can be subdued by Deryni Magic. Therefore, it would seem to me that a Human would always want a weapon between himself and a Deryni. Deryni to Deryni hand to hand combat would be different as each has shields to hold their attacker out of their mind. But again Mind Ripping is a real danger, so I still would think combat with weapons would be preferable. Always have a weapon between yourself and your appointment.  I see true medieval style fighting and not so much martial Arts for combat. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now meditative practices of the Martial Arts may be more in a Deryni's training for focusing and manipulating their powers. This  I could see being strongly used and taught. This might be the "Eastern Practices" that are occasionally referred to when we hear about the Deryni from the Anvil of the Lord, or the Forcinn states.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

To add to Laurna's comment, it may be the dangers of hand-to-hand combat between two (or more) Deryni that led to the codifying of the rules of the Duel Arcane.

It also depends upon which definition of "martial arts" one is using.  A lot of people use that term to mean, basically, various hand-to-hand combat styles originating in Asia (karate, jiujitsu, aikido, etc.), but it can be defined more broadly to mean "a style of combat tactics," full stop, in which case medieval-style sword-fighting, archery, jousting, etc. along with more modern concepts like trench warfare, sniping, etc. all count as various types of martial arts.

I do agree with Laurna's assertion that the mental discipline taught by (good) instructors of Asian styles of martial arts would translate well into the world of the Deryni; I'd even go so far as to say that the Michaelines did just that.  I believe Camber-Alister mentions a sword drill/meditation he learned in both identities (although Alister, having been an actual Michaeline, would have been more well-versed in the techniques).  I'd imagine the Anviller Knights, since they seem to be descended from the Michaelines who fled the persecution of the Regents, probably also use some sort of meditative process in their combat drills.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

Rhys created a meditation technique that is still taught to Deryni in Kelson's time. Alaric Morgan used it and he wasn't even fully trained.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

JediMatt1000

Thank you all so very much for your input. I regularly do Tai Chi, and had the feeling that might be one Camber might do, maybe just for the meditative aspects of it.
"Be the change you wish to see."

whitelaughter

I also play Tai Chi, and you'll be pleased to know that something very like our Push Hands practice is described in (IIRC) Camber the Heretic, when Camber visits the Gabrielite monastery after the discovery of the healing technique that they hope to use to hide Deryni. During the visit we learn that while the Gabrielites use the technique for improving their minds, the Order of St Michael continue to train in it to gain full combat potential.