• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 27, 2024, 12:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,473
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 14
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Miracles of Saint Jorian the Martyr -- Chapter 2

Started by DesertRose, March 26, 2015, 10:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I think the Council is already aware that Vera was Alyce's half sister in HD, but I'd have to flip through the book again for specific references.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I was just thinking through that question some more about how the Camberian Council knew about Duncan's mother, and I remembered the Council was discussing Duncan's "half-breed" status even earlier on, so that was in DC, I think. It was when they were trying to decide whether to allow Alaric and Duncan to be challenged in a Duel Arcane to test the strength of their powers.  (As a side note, notice how strenuously opposed Denis is to that plan in that discussion!)  So clearly sometime between Duncan's birth and his 29th year, the Council discovered Vera's connection to Alyce. Vivienne even makes direct reference to the sisters at one point.  Maybe her mother Stevana confided something about her separated twin daughters to her friend Jessamy, and Sief (Jessamy's husband, who was on the CC) found out? Or maybe someone on the Council, suspecting that Alaric and Duncan might be something closer than fifth cousins, decided to check the young lad for shields and, once found, to check the psychic imprint of those shields to see what bloodline they matched up with?  (Similar to how they tried to check little Krispin's shields to see if he was Donal's son or actually Sief's.)

Oh, and once the Council knew about Duncan being half-Deryni, then of course Denis would know too, unless the Council found out about this before 1107 and then no one happened to ever mention it again after Denis joined their number. :D  Since that seems unlikely, then I would think by the time Duncan's ordination became imminent, Denis would have had enough time to arrange for a transfer to Rhemuth to help him through it.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on March 27, 2015, 12:59:57 PM
I think the Council is already aware that Vera was Alyce's half sister in HD, but I'd have to flip through the book again for specific references.

I think, for once, I've caught your error.  Weren't Alyce and Vera twins?  I mean, I suppose it's genetically possible for fraternal twins to be half-siblings, assuming the mother had two partners in very short succession, but that would be highly unusual--and I should think, a bit out of character for Stevana.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

You're right. I meant to say twins, not half sisters.  That's what I get for typing in a hurry with my mind half on phone calls and trying to catch up with email.  Somehow the idea of "half=breeds" got mixed in with "sisters" and I ended up with "half sisters" rather than Duncan being the "half-breed" son of a secret twin sister.:D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

QuoteI ended up with "half sisters" rather than Duncan being the "half-breed" son of a secret twin sister.:D
Too cute,  Good catch DR.  I had missed that at first.

It also occurs to me that Keryell was on the Camberian Council's watch list, since he had gone against their wishes and married Stevana in the first place. (take note that Stevana was already 26 years old at her marriage not a young maid). Even though Keryell and Stevana were trying to hid their second twin daughter, I can see where the Council would have made it a point to discover any secrets Keryell may have had. Therefore, they would have known about Duncan fairly early and I can then see where they would have asked Denis to intervene when it became apparent the young Half- Deryni meant to complete his Ordination. And I am glad to read here, that Saint Jorian agreed with this and asked Denis take action to protect Duncan.  Thanks DR.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on March 27, 2015, 01:37:03 PM
You're right. I meant to say twins, not half sisters.  That's what I get for typing in a hurry with my mind half on phone calls and trying to catch up with email.  Somehow the idea of "half=breeds" got mixed in with "sisters" and I ended up with "half sisters" rather than Duncan being the "half-breed" son of a secret twin sister.:D

It happens, LOL.

Laurna, I'm glad you're enjoying my story.  Thank you for reading.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

I think there is a simpler answer which will be revealed in the story of Duncan's Ordination but I'm too mean to post a spoiler
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Also enjoying this story, DR. Seems that St. Jorian the Martyr is enjoying his apres-vie rather more than he got to enjoy life. Maybe he got together with Camber and Camber shared tips for opportune ways and times to drop in on his living friends and relatives and surprise their socks off.  =o)

Revanne...WRITE WOMAN, WRITE!!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: DesertRose on March 27, 2015, 02:28:55 PM
revanne, you evil tease.  :D

Revanne enters humbly upon her knees ( or would do if I had'nt somehow managed to put my back out) and wonders if his excellency Bishop Duncan is available for the confessional.

It was only simpler because I'd forgotten something obvious. *sighs and goes back to the drawing board*
(Psalm 46 v1)

Duncan McLain

Revanne enters humbly upon her knees ( or would do if I had'nt somehow managed to put my back out) and wonders if his excellency Bishop Duncan is available for the confessional.

* Duncan McLain fetches his purple stole . . . .

You need me, my lady?

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)