• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 163
Total: 163
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Does it have to be a theatrical release?

Started by Elkhound, April 11, 2014, 01:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Why not a TV series like "Game of Thrones"?

Aerlys

I would speculate that it depends on whether or not the networks think it would get sufficient ratings.

Wonder if the television format would make it easier to stick with the original storyline, or open itself up to little "additions." Hmmm. So long as they don't take as many liberties as the Hobbit movies!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

There's certainly enough material in the books to make a decent television series.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Quote from: Aerlys on April 11, 2014, 01:27:37 PM
I would speculate that it depends on whether or not the networks think it would get sufficient ratings.

Game of Thrones is a similar sprawling Midaeval epic, and it certainly has gotten good enough ratings.

Jerusha

I might worry that they would want to make it more risque or sensational to draw a larger viewing audience.  The stories and characters are strong enough to not need that.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

Quote from: Jerusha on April 11, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
I might worry that they would want to make it more risque or sensational to draw a larger viewing audience.

Unfortunately, I can see that happening. I also doubt they would portray church ceremonies and clergy as respectfully and accurately as Katherine has.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

One of the things I love is that Katherine takes faith seriously, even when it is being distorted and used for wrong ends. I would hate for that to disappear or have a cynical spin put on it.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Those things could happen just as easily in a film as a TV series. 

Part of the reason I'd prefer a (mini)series is that for even a LONG film, the story would have to be severely compressed--lots of things taken out.  This would be less necessary in a (mini) series.

tenworld

there is a lot of stuff on cable shows criticizing the catholic church, if they played that angle (I see some similarities between the former pope and a couple bishops in deryniworld), it might get made.  However, the biggest ratings draws in cable series are sex and violence.  KK hasn't been shy about violence, but I fear the sex angle is what draws a lot of the audience.  While I would not mind watching a magic-enhanced bedroom scene, its not in character with these books.  But maybe a generation raised on Harry Potter might provide the ratings needed.

Elkhound

Remember the joke about the BBC survey that said that the three most popular subjects by soap-opera viewers were the aristocracy, sex, and medicine.  They concluded that the ideal title for a series would be "Lady Chatterly's Liver."   :)

Aerlys

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

If we allow that sex in KK is quite rightly left to the imagination and perhaps best rephrased sex-appeal then Rhys and Alaraic fit those criteria very nicely -

Err, my apologies, the Lord Rhys Thuryn and his Grace the Duke of Corwyn.

You'd think a Brit could manage titles properly!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Not to mention all those handsome Haldanes--sure, most of them are just kids to us, but I can see the young teen ladies wanting to plaster posters of Kelson on their walls.  Perhaps even Conall, since there's no accounting for tastes....  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on May 01, 2014, 07:07:59 AMPerhaps even Conall, since there's no accounting for tastes....  ;D

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllGirlsWantBadBoys

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants

Both these tropes are in play here.  (Although I've never seen a fanfic that made out the case the Conall was "not bad, just misunderstood," although it wouldn't surprise me if there were one out there; it would probably also portray Dhugal and/or Kelson as jerks, but that's another trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RonTheDeathEater)

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on May 01, 2014, 07:07:59 AM
Not to mention all those handsome Haldanes--sure, most of them are just kids to us, but I can see the young teen ladies wanting to plaster posters of Kelson on their walls.  Perhaps even Conall, since there's no accounting for tastes....  ;D

Hey, don't forget Rory and Payne!! They're both growing up nicely I'm sure. And if they take more after their father than their older brother....WELL! 

Ever since watching Robin of Sherwood, Michael Praed's face is just how I view Kelson. But of course I'm not a fangirl at ALL.... =o)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!