• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Bishop and the Birthday Girl

Started by Evie, September 01, 2010, 04:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on September 01, 2010, 08:51:49 PM
Quote from: Alkari on September 01, 2010, 07:57:41 PM
Not sure what the 'gloom and despair' is? - I think it would be vastly amusing  :D

It's a reference to a comedy song on an old US TV show. Imagine Denis or Alaric singing it in a morose voice.  :D

I think of it as a duet.

For some reason I always 'hear' Alaric as a tenor and Denis as a baritone.  Is there any canon to back that up?

Evie

I don't recall any such references from canon, but I could live with it. :) 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

If Alaric is a tenor and Dennis is a baritone, does that mean Duncan sings bass? :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on September 03, 2010, 02:36:23 PM
If Alaric is a tenor and Dennis is a baritone, does that mean Duncan sings bass? :)

I've always 'heard' Duncan as a tenor also, but not the same type.  I'd cast Placido Domingo as Duncan and Siegfried Jerusalem as Alaric, with Thomas Hampson as Dennis.  Sherril Milnes would be Loris; he was always good at playing villains.

Alkari

Not Seigfried Jerusalem for Alaric - please can we have Jussi Bjorling?!   That man could sing the telephone directory and make it sound utterly beautiful  :)    (Though if you were thinking of any duets with Duncan, then you'd better have Robert Merrill as Duncan).

Agree with your others, although Samuel Ramey could rival Sherril Milnes as a villain, methinks.

derynifanatic64

My "Gloom, Despair" ditty comes from "Hee Haw" in the 60's and 70's with Buck Owens and Roy Clark.  There were 4 guys telling bad stories, usually about their shrewish wives, about almost nothing going right in their lives.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Shiral

Quote from: Alkari on September 03, 2010, 03:57:58 PM
Not Seigfried Jerusalem for Alaric - please can we have Jussi Bjorling?!   That man could sing the telephone directory and make it sound utterly beautiful  :)    (Though if you were thinking of any duets with Duncan, then you'd better have Robert Merrill as Duncan).

Agree with your others, although Samuel Ramey could rival Sherril Milnes as a villain, methinks.

Tall men are more likely to have deeper voices, so I've always seen Alaric as a baritone. (My choice would be Dmitri Hvorostovsky--man has the world's SEXIEST voice.  =o) I can see Duncan as a tenor more readily than as a bass, as I think he's not so tall as Alaric. Jussi Bjorling would be just right, and their voices would blend very well.  Arilan can be a baritone, too, perhaps more toward a bass baritone. He can be Hans Hotter.  :D

Kelson...I think he's a tenor.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Alkari

Well, if you want a sexy baritone voice, go back a few years and try Erich Kunz - the man had a voice like warmed honey, LOL.   Or for looks plus a lighter baritone voice, Teddy Tahu Rhodes isn't bad at all - he's blond, about 6ft 6" tall and turned Aussie audiences to a sighing gooey mess when he sang Don Giovanni and appeared all in black, with thigh-high leather boots!  :D 

DesertRose

My favorite bass baritone is Wales' Bryn Terfel.  What a voice!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Alkari

Quiet an interesting cast we are establishing here!  "The Deryni Opera" anyone?  :D

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on September 03, 2010, 07:55:35 PM

Tall men are more likely to have deeper voices, so I've always seen Alaric as a baritone.

Pavoratti was tall, and so is Placido Domingo.

QuoteKelson...I think he's a tenor.

Melissa

The hero is always--or almost always--a tenor.

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on September 03, 2010, 08:43:54 PM
Quiet an interesting cast we are establishing here!  "The Deryni Opera" anyone?  :D

We haven't cast any of the women, yet.

Alkari

Teresa Stratas for Jehana.    Jehana has to have a real cutting edge to her at times, and as Stratas can sing Kurt Weill superbly, I reckon she'd do a magnificent Jehana.

Still thinking about Charissa and Richenda - both sopranos, but very different types.  Richenda really has to be a lovely lyrical soprano, while Charissa has to be able to do 'evil'.   Charissa could possibly me a mezzo though, which would give a bit of balance.

ETA:  Possibly Elly Ameling for Richenda.  I adore her voice, and she really is lyrical. 

Shiral

Quote from: Elkhound on September 04, 2010, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: Shiral on September 03, 2010, 07:55:35 PM

Tall men are more likely to have deeper voices, so I've always seen Alaric as a baritone.

Pavoratti was tall, and so is Placido Domingo.

QuoteKelson...I think he's a tenor.

Melissa

The hero is always--or almost always--a tenor.

I don't dispute the existence of tall tenors. It's a physical tendency for taller men to have deeper voices, but that's far from absolute.

It's simply that I "hear" Alaric as a baritone.  Kelson as a younger man would have a lighter voice.

Perhaps Bryn Terfel  could sing Nigel's part....

Need somebody good and villainous for Wencit, whom I definitely see as a bass...

Melissa

You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on September 05, 2010, 05:15:21 PM
ETA:  Possibly Elly Ameling for Richenda.  I adore her voice, and she really is lyrical. 

Elly doesn't do opera. 

As for Charissa, I've always pictured her as a coloratura, very like the Queen of the Night.