• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

New Book sequel to Lammas Night ???

Started by Ursa, May 30, 2007, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ursa

I was talking to my sister tonight and she pointed out to me that in the Deryni FAQ they say
"Katherine and Deborah also have another Adept book planned. It will be a sequel to Lammas Night and tell the story of Philippa Sinclair and John Graham."

I think the FAQ is somewhat out of date and I am wondering if anyone knows if this project is still in the works. Also does anyone know if a reprinting of Lammas Night has been planned?  Lammas Night was the first Kurtz I ever read and when I reread it recently it still held my interest. I would love to see this sequel written
    Ursa

jjmjr

There was talk that the next adept novel would also be a sequel to Lamas Night but think things have changed.  Last word I read was that they had a story laid out that takes place in the late 1800's.  Don't know if they have actually sold the proposal to ACE but they were trying.  Obviously it would come out some time after she completes the third CM book.

jerry

Rex_Kelsonus (RIP)

I'm in the middle of reading this book, and, as a student of the more esoteric things, I applaud KK for the research she had to do to put this book together. I love the characters, and how they're so well-rounded, and they almost FEEL real when reading the book.

Braniana

Why don't we be ambitious (or perhaps greedy would be a better adjective) and hope for both a prequel and a sequel to Lammas Night?   I know I'd enjoy seeing the historical side with an earlier incarnation of the hunting lodge, but I'd really like to see how Philippa and Grey worked together before, maybe tying in some of backstory on the Lynx that's told in the Adept books.

Cleothyla

That would be so cool. My dad had read Lammas Night and I found it and saw it was written by KK and so I had to see how it was. I loved it. Ever since reading in Templar Treasure that Phillipa knew Sir John Graham, I have been dying to find out how.

Rahere

The late 1800s is a perfect period, as it saw the rise of naive satanism, the Naughty Nineties period when Crowley and Encausse were in their heyday. An exotic touch with Mata Hari's eastern esotericism, "Castafiore" Calvet, Auguste Rodin, you have a full palette - dare you go as far as including the Rouen circuit (Cardinal Senator de Bonnechose/Bishop Billard/Maurice Leblanc) and the Pope himself? I would. The real world in those days was within a stone's throw of anything KK can dream up. But that's perhaps for the generation before, Conan Doyle (his gravestone speaks pages, off Wikipedia), EW Hornung (you can see who Raffles was based on), the birth of Spiritualism....one might even go back further in the Robert Louis Stevenson connection. Another angle which KK might find personally satisfying is the relationship between Doyle and Casement, together with the attack on the latter's mores by the British establishment, slap bang central to satanist creeds.
The logical next step is to investigate what happened in the late 1920s to get the FUDOSI satanists kicked out of France - they turned up in Belgium but with a very English flavour. Someone had a Hunting Group there for sure. Agatha Christie picking up Conan Doyle's gauntlet (her missing eleven days in 1926. for example, being an overused macguffin).