• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Alaric's & Richenda's children

Started by AnnieUK, September 15, 2007, 04:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianneTK

Ummm, how about Dorcas?  Blech!  or Elishabet (or something like that-- my reference books are all downstairs in the library and I've been going up and down all day...) There are more, I swear it.  I'll have to look them up for you.  I was terribly glad to see on the chat log that Katherine agrees with us that Alaric would have better taste in names than Sophonisba.
Julianne

Shiral

Quote from: JulianneTK on February 24, 2008, 09:09:46 PM
Ummm, how about Dorcas?  Blech!  or Elishabet (or something like that-- my reference books are all downstairs in the library and I've been going up and down all day...) There are more, I swear it.  I'll have to look them up for you.  I was terribly glad to see on the chat log that Katherine agrees with us that Alaric would have better taste in names than Sophonisba.
Julianne

Okay yes. Dorcas is pretty bad!   :o  You couldn't name a modern child Dorcas, or the poor kid would be immercifully teased by her classmates who would find some terrible nicknames.  Elishabet...well, why not just name the kid Elizabeth and be done with it?  But then other cultures have some questionable names, too. 

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JulianneTK

Umm how about 'Dorcas'?  One of the victims of the Salem Witch Hysteria had a 6yrold child who went to jail with her and the little girl's name was Dorcas.

That name's yuccky for my money.

JulianneTK

Oops -- Imissed going to page 2.  I *thought* I'd posted that name already... sigh... long day-- just back from February vacation.  School days are verrrry long right now.

Elkhound

Dorcas?  Better Tabitha.  And teach her to sew. (Can anyone spot the Scripture reference?)

Mak

I rather like Dorcas.  Maybe because I know a Dorcas and she's a lovely lady.  It means "gazelle" in Greek, so it's really a graceful name.  One of my uncles dated a Hortense for a while.  He married a Dorothy, tho!  LOL
-Mak

Shiral

Quote from: Mak on March 05, 2008, 10:07:06 AM
I rather like Dorcas.  Maybe because I know a Dorcas and she's a lovely lady.  It means "gazelle" in Greek, so it's really a graceful name.  One of my uncles dated a Hortense for a while.  He married a Dorothy, tho!  LOL

Fair enough, although I have to admit, when I hear the name "Dorcas" my most natural sound association drifts more toward "dork" than "gazelle."

Hortense....oh, there's another winner in the "Bad Names" sweepstakes.  The worst thing that could happen to a girl might be the name "Hepzibah Hortense" or maybe Hortense Hepzibah.  :) Dorothy I don't mind, so much, although it's rather old fashioned. Maybe it's because of my associating it with The Wizard of Oz. Or because one of my mother's oldest friends is named Dorothea, and she's a very cool person.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Theodosia?

Honoria?

Cassiopea?

Euphemia?

Lucinda?

Helga?

Bertha?

JulianneTK

Theodosia's not so bad and Cassiopeia is actually quite nice--named after stars, or maybe after the "socialiator" on the original Battlestar Galactica.   ;D

Euphemia, Helga and Bertha, though -- ewwww! 

I bet there's lots of baaaaaad names in the Codex.

Mak

I do like Dorothy, but then my mother is a Dorothy.  Which, when you think about it, is kind of weird- I have a mother named Dorothy and an aunt with the same name.  And so do my cousins!
-Mak

Obiwan3

Elkhound's list look like a list of Greek mythology (& Viking?) names. I always liked Clytemnestra. :D

Elkhound

Obiwan3:

"Elkhound's list look like a list of Greek mythology (& Viking?) names. I always liked Clytemnestra. "

Why not 'Medea' while we're at it?

A friend of mine dated a woman named 'Pandora' for a while.  I advised him that if there was an interesting-looking box, trunk, chest, or jar in her house that he not open it.

JulianneTK

<A friend of mine dated a woman named 'Pandora' for a while.  I advised him that if there was an interesting-looking box, trunk, chest, or jar in her house that he not open it.>

Snicker!

derynifanatic64

Don't forget that in the bottom of Pandora's box, after all of the bad stuff escaped, was Hope.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

derynifanatic64

I think that Xenia would be an interesting name for a girl.  Brion and Nigel had a sister named Xenia.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!