• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Publications by Katherine Kurtz

Started by Bynw, January 21, 2017, 09:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.  Here is a list of her complete works, grouped first by category, then (mostly) in chronological order after that.

Deryni Books

The Chronicles of the Deryni:

• Deryni Rising, originally published 1970, 2nd ed. published 2004.
  • Deryni Checkmate, originally published 1972, 2nd ed. published 2005.
  • High Deryni, originally published 1973, 2nd ed. published 2007.

The Legends of Camber of Culdi:

• Camber of Culdi, published 1976.
  • Saint Camber, published 1978
  • Camber the Heretic, published 1981.

The Histories of King Kelson:

• The Bishop's Heir, published 1984.
  • The King's Justice, published 1985.
  • The Quest for Saint Camber, published 1986.

• Deryni Archives (short story collection), published 1986.

The Heirs of Saint Camber:

• The Harrowing of Gwynedd, published 1989.
  • King Javan's Year, published 1992.
  • The Bastard Prince, published 1994.

• Deryni Magic: A Grimoire, published 1991.

• Codex Derynianus, originally published 1998 in a hardcover limited edition, published 2005 in softcover wide release.

• King Kelson's Bride (stand-alone novel), published 2000.

• Deryni Tales (fanfiction collection edited by Katherine), published 2002.

The Childe Morgan Trilogy:

• In the King's Service, published 2003.
  • Childe Morgan, published 2006.
  • The King's Deryni, published 2014.

The Adept Series (written with Deborah Turner Harris)

• The Adept, published 2003.
  • The Adept: The Lodge of the Lynx, published 2003.
  • The Adept: The Templar Treasure, published 2004.
  • Dagger Magic, published 2004.
  • Death of an Adept, published 2004.

The Templar Books (written with Deborah Turner Harris)

• The Temple and the Stone, published 1999.
  • The Temple and the Crown, published 2001.
  • Tales of the Knights Templar, published 1995.
  • Crusade of Fire, published 2002.
  • On Crusade: More Tales of the Knights Templar, published 2003.

The Knights of the Blood Books (written with Scott MacMillan)

• Knights of the Blood, published 1993.
  • At Sword's Point, published 1994.
  • Possible third Knights of the Blood novel, in discussion as of May 2013.

Other Books

• Lammas Night, published 1983.
  • The Legacy of Lehr, published 1988.
  • Two Crowns for America, published 1997.
  • St. Patrick's Gargoyle, published 2002.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Thank you Bynw for updating the subject heading.

This is a good place to repost the picture of my KK book collection:

Post your KK collection or book covers here if you have like.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Demercia

Unfortunately I can't post a picture of mine for fear Revanne will see where some of her books have gone🤣
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

HoundMistress

Mine are all over the place. I really loved the St. Patrick's Gargoyle! My favorite books are still the original 3 and the Childe Morgan books. However, I've thought it over and I've been saying Ah-LAIR-ic since 1976 so I'm just stickin' with it.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

Jerusha

What is the red bound book on the far left, Laurna?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I wondered if someone would notice. 
That is Deryni Rising the Masterpieces of Fantasy Leather-bound edition by Easton Press from 1997. Red embossed leather, gold edged and signed.

That is my second prize find from Ebay. The first prize find being the First Edition Codex. I found this one in mint condition for a much better price than what most were being sold for. I do not know how many books were in the print run; they are not numbered.

I believe the painting will be of Alaric. The lady behind must be Queen Jehana, Although she should have been painted with red auburn hair.  She may have been the king's mother but she was not grey haired yet. One other little trivial thing about the painting is that the lion should be looking at us instead of in profile. Otherwise I like it.

Edited for residents consensus is that the lady is Charrisa and not Jehana.

Edited to say that I found more copies of this for sale at Abe books dot com for a better price than I paid.  Though from What I have read only one in eight copies was signed by the author.

Jerusha

Wow!  Now that was a find!   Congratulations, and thanks for sharing it with us.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on August 11, 2021, 02:22:18 PM

I believe the painting will be of Alaric. The lady behind must be Queen Jehana, Although she should have been painted with red auburn hair.  She may have been the king's mother but she was not grey haired yet.  One other little trivial thing about the painting is that the lion should be looking at us instead of in profile. Otherwise I like it.

Who did the painting in that version of the book?
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Quote from: Bynw on August 11, 2021, 03:51:37 PM
Quote from: Laurna on August 11, 2021, 02:22:18 PM

I believe the painting will be of Alaric. The lady behind must be Queen Jehana, Although she should have been painted with red auburn hair.  She may have been the king's mother but she was not grey haired yet.  One other little trivial thing about the painting is that the lion should be looking at us instead of in profile. Otherwise I like it.

Who did the painting in that version of the book?

Frontispiece by Jill Bauman .  Her signature can be seen in the photo of the title page

The Masterpieces fantasy collection web site states:

The Easton Press is an American publisher specializing in high quality leather-bound books. They often publish large series of books, but one of their lesser-known collections was a set known as the 'Masterpieces of Fantasy' that they produced between 1996 and 1998, which included about 40 classic fantasy novels.

Each volume in the series has a distinctive cover design on both front and back along with a hubbed spine, satin ribbon page marker, smyth sewn pages and elegant gilded page edges. The books came with a 4 page A5 brochure that included some background and introduction to the book, and signed editions were provided with a certificate of authenticity. The books in this series also feature endpapers with a flying unicorn pattern designed especially for this series, and a color frontispiece by a contemporary fantasy artist.

DesertRose

I'm wondering if the lady in the painting isn't Charissa.  She's described as dressing in light blue and silver pretty much all the time.

And the man might be Brion with a too-light hair color; I can't think why Alaric would wear a Haldane surcoat (he might have a badge/token on his clothing as a larger-than-his-ring marker of his status as King's Champion), but Brion would.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

I think that's probably the case, DR. Jehana is kind of a secondary character. (Well, Brion DOES die in the first chapter, but almost everything else that follows in DR is his allies and son making sure his succession is carried out as he wished, and his adversaries trying to prevent that.)

Charissa's garb is a bit later in era than the 12th century, but why be too picky about an otherwise gorgeous edition?
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DerynifanK

Akric has silver blond hair so I don't think it is him. I agree that with the dark hair and Haldane symbol it is more likely to be Bryon.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

I agree he would make a handsome Bryon.  But the M on the chain makes me believe it should be Alaric. Wish he was in a green or black tunic.

DR, I agree that is Charrisa.

DesertRose

I was reading the M medallion as a lion pendant; I couldn't see that detail clearly on the original picture, but I can see it well in Laurna's last post with it zoomed in a bit.

And at this point Alaric ought to be in solid black but it's a right pain to paint details on black; if that is supposed to be Alaric, I concur that if he's not wearing a black tunic/cotehardie, he should be in green.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

It occurs to me that during the coronation, Alaric wears a red silk shirt with a black doublet over it with slashed sleeves showing the red shirt. The artist has taken the description and made the clothing more tunic and cape style. The chain and amulet would have been a stone that Charissa spied through. So who says an M might not have been engraved over the stone.