• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Deryni blood in the Haldane line

Started by BishopCullen, June 23, 2007, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raksha the Demon

So are the births and names of the future (unborn as of the end of King Kelson's Bride)
children of Alaric, Nigel, Kelson, Jehana, Matyas, and Teymuraz canon or "Rob-isms"?  I do hope that Kelson names his son "Javan"; it would be a wonderful homage to a boy king who was as strong and determined as Kelson but was cut down by treachery.

It would be wonderful to have an updated, e-version of the Codex.

Laurna

I would consider all the information in the Codex as "canonical", in the way that KK has her name as co author and has approved the information there. In chat once, I did ask her if most of the info was her writing, she responded with a "yes". My understanding is that she gave RR all her hereditary charts, events and time lines lists, and places and descriptions, then he separated the information into individual entries. RR filled in a few gaps to make it constant. In one or two spots (Alaric and Richenda's 2nd daughter and Kelson's twin daughters)  the names are different from the time line to the individual entries. The names in the time line are KK's corrected choice. There are also few entries that RR added for humor. Sir Kale comes to mind.

By the way, if you are wondering about the answer to the heading of this thread, there is further discussion about the Haldane Deryni inheritance, in this later thread.  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=1552.msg13391#msg13391
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: Raksha the Demon on April 05, 2018, 10:45:42 PM
So are the births and names of the future (unborn as of the end of King Kelson's Bride)
children of Alaric, Nigel, Kelson, Jehana, Matyas, and Teymuraz canon or "Rob-isms"?  I do hope that Kelson names his son "Javan"; it would be a wonderful homage to a boy king who was as strong and determined as Kelson but was cut down by treachery.

I think the birth dates and names of the children born post-KKB are canon; what I meant by "minor points like names of people who never appeared in the canonical novels at the time they wrote Codex and also with things like names of illnesses that caused the deaths of minor or unseen characters" was basically the people who appear only in Codex, who lived between the end of The Bastard Prince and the beginning of Deryni Rising (since when the second edition of Codex was written, I believe KK was in the process of writing In The King's Service).
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on April 06, 2018, 09:21:12 AM
Quote from: Raksha the Demon on April 05, 2018, 10:45:42 PM

I think the birth dates and names of the children born post-KKB are canon; what I meant by "minor points like names of people who never appeared in the canonical novels at the time they wrote Codex and also with things like names of illnesses that caused the deaths of minor or unseen characters" was basically the people who appear only in Codex, who lived between the end of The Bastard Prince and the beginning of Deryni Rising (since when the second edition of Codex was written, I believe KK was in the process of writing In The King's Service).

Rob-isms would include never-seen background characters such as Ewan's wife and daughters.  We know from the canon that he was married since he has a legitimate heir and I think he mentions a wife on at least one occasion, but his wife is never named in the novels, nor are any daughters. However, since a legitimate heir means Ewan was at least married at some point, and since a marriage that lasts more than a few years in a society with little if any effective birth control would produce several children, including (in all likelihood) at least a few daughters as well as spare sons, those details seem to have been left up to Rob to flesh out.  And Rob's sense of humor and love of puns sometimes got the better of him when it comes to his NPC character names.   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

LauraS

[/quote]

Rob-isms would include never-seen background characters such as Ewan's wife and daughters.  We know from the canon that he was married since he has a legitimate heir and I think he mentions a wife on at least one occasion, but his wife is never named in the novels, nor are any daughters. However, since a legitimate heir means Ewan was at least married at some point, and since a marriage that lasts more than a few years in a society with little if any effective birth control would produce several children, including (in all likelihood) at least a few daughters as well as spare sons, those details seem to have been left up to Rob to flesh out.  And Rob's sense of humor and love of puns sometimes got the better of him when it comes to his NPC character names.   ;D
[/quote]
Like "Kermit von Frogy" of Orsal, or some variation thereof ;) . I always meant to go back and re-read Codex and put a post-it by those "Robisms" that were pure comedic relief.

DesertRose

Quote from: LauraS on April 12, 2018, 02:45:48 PM
Like "Kermit von Frogy" of Orsal, or some variation thereof ;) . I always meant to go back and re-read Codex and put a post-it by those "Robisms" that were pure comedic relief.

If you ever feel up to doing that and sharing the comic relief, that'd be great fun that I know I'd appreciate, and I imagine I'm not the only one around here who would enjoy it, either!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)