• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

KK Chat - 23 December 2007

Started by DesertRose, December 23, 2007, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

[18:54] * KK has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[18:54] <&DeryniBot>  Sedina gives a highland welcome to KK as they join the chat
[18:54] * DeryniBot sets mode: +o KK
[18:54] <~RainbowDragon> Greetings, KK!
[18:54] * Kisuke has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[18:54] <&DeryniBot>  The smell from Wrengl's kitchen draws Kisuke into the chat.
[18:54] <@KK> Hello, folks.  Merry Christmas!
[18:54] <+Shiral> Hello KK
[18:55] <+Shiral> You're just in time for tea
[18:55] <Kisuke> Hi KK!
[18:55] <+Shiral> Merry Christmas backatcha
[18:55] <~RainbowDragon> How have you been?
[18:55] <@KK> And Merry Anything Else that folk here celebrate instead--but I refuse to abandon Christmas in the interest of political correctness.
[18:56] <jemler> hi KK, Kisuke
[18:56] <+Shiral> Hi Kisuke
[18:56] <Elf> Hi KK
[18:56] <%DesertRose> Hi KK, Kisuke!
[18:56] <Kisuke> Hi folks.. :)
[18:56] <Elf> Hi kisuke
[18:56] <jemler> you want to be politically correct, be a Democrat!
[18:56] <+Shiral> I've celebrated Christmas all my life, and I intend to continue
[18:56] <%DesertRose> Merry Christmas and Happy belated Yule!
[18:56] <+Shiral> I already am, thanks Jemler
[18:57] <@KK> I've been good.  Caught a cold at Darkover, as one often does, but it didn't slow me down too much.  Better now, and getting the last bits ready for Christmas.  Would you believe that our local market didn't have pastry cases?!  So I must go out again in the morning.  :=(
[18:57] <%DesertRose> Oh, bummer.
[18:57] <~RainbowDragon> How is the weather there?
[18:57] <@KK> I definitely don't want to be politically correct, then, Jemler!
[18:57] <Elf> oh no it will be the proverbial zoo tommorrow
[18:58] <@Bynw> hiyas KK!
[18:58] <+Shiral> Hey, not ALL Democrats are like that!
[18:58] * Kisuke Quit (Quit: Alternity?.... YES!!)
[18:58] <+Shiral> Speaking as one
[18:58] <@KK> Weather is 50ish, it's been sprinkling off and on today, but it looks like it's going to be ok the next few days.
[18:58] <Elf> hmm been snowing here for last three days off and on
[18:59] * Kisuke has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[18:59] <&DeryniBot>  Gwynedd's Sheriff, Marnin, nods to Kisuke and checks their weapons at the door.
[18:59] <@Bynw> we got a nice little blizzard yesterday
[18:59] <Elf> wb Kisuke
[18:59] <%DesertRose> WB Kisuke.
[18:59] <jemler> wb kisuke. i don't think we've met.
[18:59] <Kisuke> Thanks...I stepped away for a moment and my 5 year-old closed the window... LOL
[18:59] <%DesertRose> LOL
[18:59] <Elf> I wonder what happened
[18:59] <Elf> *ed
[18:59] <Kisuke> I'm brand new...
[18:59] <@KK> We had a bit of freezing rain last week--frosted all the leafless branches, and was really beautiful--and we had a few inches of snow, but it all melted pretty quickly.  Fish pond had about an inch of ice on top, but the fish are fine at greater depths.\
[19:00] <jemler> nice to meet you.
[19:00] <@KK> Then welcome, Kitsuke.
[19:00] <Kisuke> KK, it's nice to meet you btw...DR got me interested in your novels a couple of weeks ago and I've really been enjoying "In the King's Service"..
[19:01] <Kisuke> Thank you for taking the time to be here..
[19:01] <@KK> Excellent, Kitsuke.  And thank you, Desert Rose.  :-)
[19:01] <@KK> Where are you located?
[19:01] <%DesertRose> Not a problem at all.  When people show up in here and haven't read your books, we have to send them to the book shop, don't we? :D
[19:02] <Kisuke> I'm in San Antonio now...I grew up in Michigan and Pennsylvania...can't say I miss the weather..
[19:03] <Kisuke> although a little snow would probably be nice this week  ;)
[19:03] <@KK> Sounds like a plan to me.  ;-)  But Kitsuke, you can get weather in Texas, too, can't you?
[19:03] <Kisuke> at times...I lived in Abilene for about 9 years before moving to SA in 2005...they get a lot harsher weather there..
[19:03] <jemler> Texas is such a big state, it may take a while to reach her.
[19:04] <%DesertRose> LOL
[19:05] <Elf> I'lll take my mountains... even if I have to shovel...
[19:05] <Kisuke> we went out to eat on Friday and sat on an outside patio...in shorts and T-shirts!
[19:05] <@KK> Well, welcome, wherever you are.  That's one of the gea things about on-line chat.  We can be all over the world, but right in the same cyber-room.
[19:05] <Kisuke> then it froze last night...never can tell
[19:05] <@KK> Elf, where are you?
[19:06] <Elf> Interior of British Columbia about 3 hours north of Spokane WA
[19:07] <@KK> British Columbia--Elf, you may be my saviour!  Do you have Shreddies where you are?
[19:07] <Elf> I affectionally refer to it as the middle of nowhere
[19:07] <Elf> yes
[19:07] <jemler> then we're neighbors!
[19:07] <@KK> If I send you money, or a couple of signed books, could you send me a couple of big boxes?  We became addicted while living in Ireland, and there's nothing here to compare.
[19:08] <@Bynw> what are shreddies?
[19:08] <Elf> Sure.
[19:08] <Elf> A cereal that I guess the US does not seel
[19:08] <jemler> Shreddies: Leftovers of the CIA Gitmo tapes?
[19:08] <Elf> seel = sell
[19:08] <Elf> LOL
[19:08] <jemler> otherwise known as shredded wheat?
[19:09] <Elf> Not exactly
[19:09] <@KK> They're a shredded wheat cereal, but they don't go soggy, and they're just sweet enough on their own that you don't need to put sugar on them.  Many's the night when we've just had a bowl of Shreddies insread of supper.
[19:09] <jemler> Frosted mini wheats?
[19:09] <@KK> Nope, not at all the same.  US cereals, by and large, are far too sweet.
[19:10] <Elf> http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/brands/shreddies-original.aspx
[19:10] <@KK> And as I mentioned, Shreddies don't go soggy in milk--unless you let them sit for a really long time.
[19:11] <Elf> They are kind of like a Triscuit...
[19:11] <@KK> ^That's the website.  But they're in Europe and Canada--not the US, so far as I can tell.
[19:11] <Elf> but sweet
[19:11] <@KK> Just <slightly> sweet; almost nutty, the way good wehat is.
[19:12] <Elf> hmm I bet the Canadian version has more sugar than the UK version. I have switched completely to trail mix for my cold cereal
[19:13] <+Shiral> I usually have oatmeal for breakfast
[19:13] <+Shiral> Plain oatmeal with some milk and maple syrup
[19:13] <Elf> Red River cereal or Oatmeal for my hot cereal
[19:13] <Kisuke> they sound good...we don't end up with many adult cereals here...we tend to have mutinies if we deviate from Fruity Pebbles or Lucky Charms..
[19:13] <@KK> Hmmm, point taken.  Well, just send me one box, then, until we know how sweet it is.
[19:13] <Elf> OK
[19:14] * jemler starts humming songs by James Taylor
[19:15] <Elf> I just did my grocery shopping for the week but I will pick some up when I am by the store.
[19:16] <@KK> Thank you so much!  Do you have my address?
[19:17] <Elf> no but you can PM it if you like
[19:17] <Elf> You are somewhere in Virginia?
[19:18] <@KK> PM?
[19:18] <Elf> ooops Private Message
[19:18] <@Bynw> pm = private message
[19:19] <jemler> well folks, if Santa is going to put me on his Nice List, I've gotta go start being good. Meerry Christmas everyone. Watch out for the reindeer!
[19:19] <~RainbowDragon> bye jemler
[19:19] <@KK> Is that the stuff that appears at the top of the screen?  Don't know how to do that; only answer it.
[19:19] <Elf> Mery Christmas jemler!
[19:19] <@KK> Nighters, Jemler.  Merry Christmas!
[19:19] <Kisuke> bye Jemler....nice meeting you!  Merry Christmas!
[19:19] <+Shiral> Night Jemler
[19:19] <Elf> Happy New Year as well if I do not see you
[19:20] <jemler> bye all. nice to meet you too, Kisuke. keep your daughter AFK!
[19:20] * jemler Quit (Quit: )
[19:20] <Kisuke> I think you just double-click their alias ...that's how it works on my client anyway..
[19:20] <@KK> That's what Bynow has just explained.  BRB.
[19:20] <@Bynw> I know where you are coming from with your Shreddies. I like dill pickle flavored potato chips and i've tried a number of brands. there is only one brand that does it right. old dutch out of minnesota, which is easy to get in the midwest for the most part.
[19:21] <@Bynw> but when tika and i spent that 2 years down in atlanta ... none of the stores there had old dutch chips ... so i had my mom send me some every so often
[19:22] <Elf> wow we have that as the default brand up here Old Dutch
[19:22] <Elf> I prefer Kettle Chips though
[19:23] <@Bynw> i only get the old dutch dill pickle flavored chips
[19:23] <@Bynw> yummy
[19:25] <Elf> brb cooking pasta
[19:25] <%DesertRose> Okay.
[19:25] <%DesertRose> I'm cooking chili so I'll be kind of in and out, checking on it.
[19:29] <~RainbowDragon> Got any big plans for Christmas day, KK?
[19:30] <+Shiral> I think she's AFK, RD
[19:30] <@KK> Cooking the traditional beef Stroganoff.  Cameron just got in a few hours ago, so we're having a proper family Christmas.
[19:31] <Elf> mmmm Beef Stroganoff. I have not had that in a while.. I know my dinner will be the Ham
[19:32] <%DesertRose> My Christmas dinner will be ham too.
[19:32] <~RainbowDragon> Beef Stroganoff is good stuff.
[19:32] <Kisuke> that sounds really nice KK...my wife's parents arrive Christmas afternoon...we're having Turkey for our big dinner...prob do a ham on New Years..
[19:33] <+Shiral> It's a shorter journey for Cameron this year
[19:34] <@KK> The Stroganoff thing started when we moved to Ireland.  I told my lads that we weren't tied down to what the family used to do in Burbank, so I'd cook them whatever they wanted, and we could start our own family tradition.  They said, cook us more beef Stroganoff than we can possibly eat!  So I did, and that's what we do.  It's easier than turkey, too, and teastes even better the second and third day.
[19:34] <@KK> Yes, much shorter.  And he didn't join us last year, because we were in Richard's cottage, and it would have been <really> crowded.
[19:34] <%DesertRose> Sounds good to me.
[19:35] <+Shiral> So does he approve of the new house?
[19:35] <@KK> Anyway, Scott has just poked his head into my office, and he and Crumz have decided that dinner tonight should be a bhunk of meat at the Texas Steak House--which sounds ok to me.
[19:36] <~RainbowDragon> Crumz?
[19:36] <+Shiral> Beeefy Christmas
[19:36] <Elf> very
[19:36] <@KK> Oh, yes.  He helped pick it out, and chose "his" room.  We've hung some of his favorite artwork in that room, including a Gorey print and his senior class picture.  he was pleased when he walked in.
[19:37] <+Shiral> Feels right at home already. =o)
[19:37] <Elf> ohoh careful... he might move back in!
[19:38] <@KK> Crumz is his family nickname.  When he was a wee lad, Scott thought that referring to toddlers as rugrats was demeaning, and decided that since they tended to reach up and grab things off the table, they were properly crumb-grabbers.  That got shortened to Crumz, and has stuck.  He knows it's a term of endearment, and likes it.
[19:38] <~RainbowDragon> Cameron's?
[19:39] <@KK> Yep.
[19:39] <@Bynw> thats how those family nicknames start and stay with you forever
[19:39] <~RainbowDragon> I've heard of kids referred to as ankle biters too. Not very flattering...
[19:40] <Kisuke> I'd say not  :)
[19:40] <%DesertRose> Yeah, mine is my own mispronunciation of my real name.  My stepdad is the only one who still calls me by my old nickname, though.
[19:40] <+Shiral> Grubs is not very flattering, either
[19:40] <@KK> True.
[19:40] <+Shiral> Makes me think the kid will have to go through a cocoon stage to be socially acceptable
[19:40] <Elf> hmmm I do not recall a nickname used by my parents for me
[19:40] <+Shiral> Of course.... some kind of DO need that
[19:40] <%DesertRose> Curtain climbers?
[19:41] <%DesertRose> That was what I got called, a curtain climber, a rug rat, a squeaky mouse (which is my daughter's nickname).
[19:41] <+Shiral> I used to be called "Moose" when i was little. I have no idea why
[19:41] <@Bynw> my aunt, who shares the same birthday that i do (and scott shares it too) called me "christopher kitten" when i was little
[19:41] <+Shiral> But I discouraged this practice later
[19:42] <%DesertRose> Yeah, I got to be about 12 and asked my family to quit calling me by my nickname and most of them did but my stepdad still calls me by it.
[19:42] <@Bynw> and that developed into just "pher kitten" and then latter shortened to just "pher" but my mom spelled it as "phur" instead
[19:42] <%DesertRose> No one outside the family ever called me by it.
[19:42] <~RainbowDragon> *chuckle* Christopher Kitten sounds absolutely purrfect  :-)
[19:42] <Elf> LOL
[19:42] <@KK> Christopher Kitten is adorable.  But I thinkyou're a Bynw now.  :-)
[19:42] <@Bynw> which of course is a take on "fur" that kittens have
[19:42] <%DesertRose> LOL, very punny RD.
[19:42] <+Shiral> Now you'll have to get a male kitten, Bynw
[19:42] <Kisuke> my grandparents were the same way...I grew out of my childhood nickname with everyone else but they continued to use it...never minded with them though..
[19:43] <@Bynw> Bynw is my own variant of the nickname i have always called myself of phoenix
[19:43] <@KK> That's it.  When you know it's said in love, you don't usually mind.  When my mother occasionally calls me Kathy, I know she's talking about the little girl I was, not me today.
[19:43] <Kisuke> yep...exactly...
[19:43] <+Shiral> I can't picture you as "Kathy"
[19:44] <~RainbowDragon> nor even Kate or Katey
[19:44] <%DesertRose> I don't really mind any more that my stepdad never quit calling me Noie like everyone else did, but it used to bug me when I was a teenager.  Of course, teenagers are so self-conscious anyway.
[19:44] <Elf> Hmm the only names I was called by my parents was my real name or if i was in trouble my initials.
[19:45] <Kisuke> our middle daughter's name is Victoria...we always shortened this to "Tori" until she turned 9 and informed us that she wanted to use the more formal version from now on..
[19:45] <@KK> I actively started changing it when I was in jr. high school, but it didn't "take" until I went off to university, and introduced myself as Katherine, and no one knew me as anything different.  I think names are important, and I always try to call people by the name they prefer.
[19:45] <%DesertRose> I got the power-word-middle-name treatment when I was in trouble.
[19:45] <Kisuke> heheh...we totally do that to our kids..
[19:46] <%DesertRose> I do that to my daughter; she knows she's REALLY in trouble when I drag out both her middle names.
[19:46] <@Bynw> here is a pic of a very young christopher kitten: http://www.otherworlders.org/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=77
[19:46] <%DesertRose> You were a very cute Christopher Kitten.
[19:47] <@KK> Kitsuke, I think that a lot of children do make that conscious announcement of what they want to be called--and sometimes it bears little or no resemblance to their given names.  But one tries to honor that as much as possible, while still makeing it clear that their legal name may be something else.  Of course, some folk hate their given names so much that they legally change names once theyore grown.  Thank's ok, too.
[19:47] <Elf> I agree about the name KK. it is very important... One of my favorite lines from Star Trek: Next Generation  was when Data corrected the Doctor on the pronounciation of his name
[19:47] <Kisuke> I agree...as you said, names are very important..
[19:48] <%DesertRose> I tried going by my middle name for a while when I was in high school, but it only stuck with the people who only knew me from high school; the ones I'd known from middle school still called me by my first name, so I wound up giving up on it and just going by my first name again.
[19:48] <@KK> Uh-oh, and my name is going to be Mud if I don't get out of here and get these lads to dinner! 
[19:48] <%DesertRose> LOL, poor Katherine.
[19:49] <@Bynw> go feed the lads
[19:49] <~RainbowDragon> Thank you for stopping by, Katherine
[19:49] <Kisuke> heheh...have a good steak KK...very nice meeting you and hope to see you again soon!
[19:49] <+Shiral> Well "Mud" could be affectionate, I suppose...
[19:49] <%DesertRose> Go feed the Katherine.
[19:49] <Kisuke> Merry Christmas!
[19:49] <Elf> heh one of the benefits of moving around as much as I did when I was young is that I could determine what people called me
[19:49] <@KK> Have a great Christmas, all of you, and see you at the end of the year.  I'll try to get here next week.
[19:49] <+Shiral> And the Crumz and the Scott
[19:49] <%DesertRose> Merry Christmas to you and yours KK!!
[19:49] <@KK> Yes, indeed.
[19:49] <Elf> Merry Christmas KK!
[19:49] <+Shiral> Merry Christmas, KK
[19:49] * @KK steps onto her Portal, waves good night, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:49] <Elf> and to the family both 2 legged and 4 legged
[19:50] <@KK> Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
[19:50] <%DesertRose> :D
[19:50] * @KK Quit (Quit: )
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Lynxany

Oh my, I've been out of the loop waaaay to long!  KK is stateside now?  When?  How?  I loved reading updates on Holybrooke Hall.  There will be no more? :'(  I'll have to start setting some Sunday time aside for the chat!