• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 355
Total: 355
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not a creature was stirring, not even a...

Started by Aerlys, December 19, 2014, 02:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

...RAT!

Indeed, the vermin hadn't stirred for quite some time. No one knows exactly when it met its demise, only that it found a comfy place to spend its final moments.

In the middle of our Christmas decorations.

Not the box with the dishes. That would have been too uncomfortable and easy to disinfect. No, it chose the one with the Christmas stockings, shower curtain, Santa hats, tablecloths, and hand-seen decorations.

Alas, all we have left to remember our departed guest are nibbled linens and a cloying stench that only Oscar the Grouch could appreciate.

**Sigh** Happy Advent!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

Well that will teach me to catch up on the forum while enjoying my breakfast ::). Urghhhh

"Eau de rat mort" will not catch on as the latest Christmas perfume, methinks.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

How about Merry Carrion? Has a nice ring to it, no?
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Ratatouille,
Ok, not quite.
I'm thinking it is time to teach your girls how to do a blanket stitch with yarn. Get some green, red and or white craft felt, use an old stocking for the shape you want, cut a matching pair(front and back) for each child. and then have the girls ( boys too if they want) use a blanket stitch to sew the front and back together on the sides.  Cut out names from the left over felt and glue them on. It would make a great family party to create all new stockings for Santa to fill on Christmas day.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Oh, yuk, Aerlys.  I hope you can get everything cleaned up in time to enjoy your decorations.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

We lost a box of the handmade Christmas decorations my sons made in school to a family of mice.  It must have been a family - surely a single mouse could not have caused such thorough destruction!

I think a few nice scented spruce candles may be in your future to counter the rat "perfume."
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Dratted rat!   ::)  Oh well, maybe as Laurna suggests, making homemade Christmas decor could be a family bonding experience this year. Are at least some of the items washable?  If they can at least get wet and then be allowed to air dry, there is a spray on product I've used to get rid of bad odors that works wonderfully. It's called Odo-ban, IIRC. I once had to use it on a shipment of action figure clothing and plastic accessories I got from a man who evidently smoked like a chimney. The fabric items got hand washed in a mixture of water and Odo-ban and rinsed until the water started running clear rather than brown from cigarette smoke residue, then I tossed them in the washing machine. Plastic items required an overnight soak and then repeated spritzing and scrubbing under running water until the water ran clear. But eventually I got the stink out of everything. Odo-ban doesn't just cover up odors, it somehow breaks them up on the molecular level, so you don't end up with everything smelling like a weird combo of dead rat and eucalyptus. (Or orange, or lavender, depending on which of their products you use, but the eucalyptus version came premixed in a spray bottle, so that's what I've got.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

I don't have any problem with mice or rats because of Rupert.

Aerlys

Washed what we could, pitched a bunch of it, and still airing out the beautiful decorations DH's grandmother made.

Would love to have a cat, Elkhound, but when we bought our house, it had a LOT of pet damage. It literally took years for our human noses to no longer get a whiff of cat when it was damp. I'm not convinced that a feline nose wouldn't still smell it, though.

Loved the stocking idea, Laurna, if we weren't so swamped as it is. Instead, we managed to salve some of them, and went bargain hunting at Goodwill.

At least it didn't get into the tree ornaments! And it could be worse. Our friends' house was badly smoke damaged a couple weeks ago, and they still can't get back into their house. And their daughter is getting married on the 29th!

Hilaire Belloc

Curlytop

Quote from: Aerlys on December 21, 2014, 07:26:46 PM
Would love to have a cat, Elkhound, but when we bought our house, it had a LOT of pet damage. It literally took years for our human noses to no longer get a whiff of cat when it was damp. I'm not convinced that a feline nose wouldn't still smell it, though.
Don't worry. The nose of a rat or mouse definitely would smell it, and be put off.

Aerlys

Quote from: Curlytop on December 22, 2014, 02:04:43 PM
Quote from: Aerlys on December 21, 2014, 07:26:46 PM
Don't worry. The nose of a rat or mouse definitely would smell it, and be put off.

If only that were true. When we bought our house, it was horribly pet damaged (which is why we got it at about 30% below market value). The smell of cat pee just about knocked you over when entering the house. And what came scurrying out from under the dishwasher and ran circles by my feet but a cheeky little mouse, obviously trying to frighten away the new residents. Didn't work, of course (i'm not afraid of mice). So, for some reason the smell of cat kept away humans, but not the mice.

Murphy loves me...

Hilaire Belloc