• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 63
Total: 64

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Casting Call!

Started by Bynw, March 06, 2007, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

How about David Tennant as Kevin McLain?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

tenworld

Quote from: AnnieUK on August 09, 2012, 01:27:28 PM
Did someone mention Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?

I think he could be Morgan, and if HBO follows the books his character will remind you more of Morgan.  He is not the pure evil he seemed at the beginning.

Also I would much prefer a GoT adaptation of Deryni than a movie after watching the Borgias too.  They could even run the timelines simultaneously, that would be a first.  NC_W could play Morgan and Joram.

AnnieUK

Yup, I've seen that cited as a way to tell who has read the books and who has only seen the series - if people have only seen the series they still hate Jaime Lannister. :)  (Although I always have a soft spot for the bad guys anyway!)

cynicalmedic

I was thinking of David as the slinkingly evil Iain - it would be a change for him to play the bad guy. Actually, I am coming around to Nikolaj Coster -Waldau as Alaric - I haven't watched GoT, but he is starting to grow on me.

How about Ioan Gruffudd as Kevin McLain?
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?
David Gilmour/Richard Wright/Nick Mason

Evie

I like Ioan Gruffudd too, though I don't picture him as Kevin.  Maybe a high-ranking Torenthi lord, if there's ever a High Deryni movie?  Since KK has specified that Duncan's brown hair is on the light/medium end of the spectrum, I've tended to imagine Jared's and Kevin's hair color as being somewhat similar, although Duncan and Kevin had different mothers, so it's certainly possible that one of the McLain sons has darker hair.  Or, for that matter, Jared's hair might have been a darker brown before it grayed, and Duncan's lighter shade might be due to the influence of his mother's lighter-haired genes.  (Vera's hair was a honey golden-brown, IIRC.)  Dark hair is more likely to be dominant, but there are always exceptions to the general rule.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

cynicalmedic

I loved Ioan in "Horatio Hornblower" and was quite surprised to see him in the Fantastic Four movies (my husband is a Silver Surfer fan - the only reason I saw the second one)

I guess Hollywood can do anything - after all, they made munchkin man Tom Cruise into the tall and elegant Lestat, and butchered the casting on Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels, turning it into the leaden Gettysburg. It would be just our luck that some idiotic casting director would make the decision that Justin Bieber would be a wonderful Kelson!  :P
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?
David Gilmour/Richard Wright/Nick Mason

Evie

Quote from: cynicalmedic on August 10, 2012, 10:32:15 AM
It would be just our luck that some idiotic casting director would make the decision that Justin Bieber would be a wonderful Kelson!  :P

<Luke Skywalker scream>  NOOOOOOoooooOOOOoooOOOOOOO!!!!!   :o  </Luke Skywalker scream>
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

* Echoes the Luke Skywalker scream*

Much as a I love Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, he is - alas - too old for Morgan in the first two Kelson trilogies, though he could do a great Morgan in KKB.    I'm still keeping my eyes out for suitable cast members though - an added interest when going to the movies, LOL.    Though the last movie I saw was the Danish one,  "A Royal Affair", and while I like Mads Mikkelson as an actor (he has a really interesting face), he is too old for most of the key characters in the Kelson era.   

BalanceTheEnergies

Have been digging up my old notebook on this from several years ago. Here's my cast, with one or two revisions:
Camber MacRorie....................................Derek Jacobi
Kelson Haldane........................................Tom Hiddleston
Brion Haldane..........................................Rufus Sewell
Jehana de Bregmane.................................Kristin Scott Thomas, alt. Gillian Anderson
Nigel Haldane..........................................Hugh Jackman
Meraude de Traherne................................Emily Watson
Saer deTraherne........................................Alan Cumming
Conall Haldane........................................Daniel Radcliffe
Alaric Morgan..........................................Richard Roxburgh
Duncan McLain.........................................Ian Hart
Charissa of Tolan.....................................Jennifer Lawrence, alt. Emma Watson
Ian Howell................................................Gerard Butler
Bran Coris............................................... Kevin McKidd
Edmund Loris...........................................Bill Nighy, alt. Patrick Malahide
Laurence Gorony.......................................Richard E. Grant
Creoda of Carbury.....................................Sam Neill
Patrick Corrigan........................................Alun Armstrong
Stephan Coram.........................................Iain Glen
Vivienne de Jordanet.................................Maggie Smith
Barrett de Laney.......................................Patrick Stewart
Sofiana Vastouni.....................................Judi Dench, alt. Miranda Richardson
Laran ap Pardyce....................................Ciarán Hinds
Tiercel de Claron.....................................Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Warin de Grey.........................................Christian Bale
Sean Earl Derry....................................... Ewan McGregor
Hugh de Berry.........................................David Thewlis
Kevin McLain........................................David Wenham
Jared McLain..........................................Bernard Hill, alt. Ian Holm
Ewan McEwan Duke of Claibourne......Ian Holm, alt. Billy Connolly
Gwydion ap Plenneth.............................Hal Sparks, alt. Peter Dinklage
Richenda of Marley...............................Kirsten Dunst
Thomas Cardiel.....................................Kenneth Branagh, alt. Colin Firth
Denis Arilan............................................Colin Firth, alt. Michael Fassbender
John Nivard..............................................James McAvoy
Wencit  Furstán......................................Viggo Mortensen
Rhydon of Eastmarch.............................Jeremy Irons
Dhugal MacArdry.................................James or Oliver Phelps (whichever one is left-handed)
Caulay MacArdry..................................Liam Neeson
Ciard O Ruane........................................Kevin Conroy
Sicard MacArdry..................................William Hurt
Caitrin Quinnell...................................Helen Mirren
Judhael Quinnell...................................David Tennant
Bradene de Tourz..................................Charles Dance
Wolfram de Blanet................................Ian McKellen
Ralph Tolliver........................................Sean Bean
Henry Istelyn........................................Simon Callow
Azim ar-Rafiq.......................................Oded Fehr
Rothana Nur Hallaj................................Anne Hathaway, alt. Natalie Dormer
Araxie Haldane....................................Emma Watson, alt. Jennifer Lawrence
Morag Furstáná....................................Miranda Richardson, alt. Gillian Anderson
Mahael  Furstán.................................. Ralph Finnes
Teymuraz Furstán................................ Joseph Finnes
Mátyás Furstán................................... Edward Norton, alt. Tom Hardy
Patriarch Alpheios...............................Alan Rickman
Liam-Lajos  Furstán............................Jack Gleeson (From King Kelson's Bride forward)
Rory Haldane......................................Isaac Hempstead Wright  (From The King's Justice forward)

Yeah, I know Hiddleston is actually too old, but I suggest using technology (like that used in the recent Captain America film) to simulate a growth spurt, rather than trying to plan a shooting schedule around an actor's natural one. Also, listen to him in the DVD extras for a non-Loki voice and some intellect (particularly the stuff on The Avengers) As for the rest of the part, well, there's acting.
Dubito ergo sum

Elkhound

I was just watching "Criminal Minds."  Matthew Grey Gubler as John Nivard.

Goscamber

Outlander fans played this game for years before the STARZ series.  Unsurprisingly, not a single fan pick was cast.  But almost everyone is pleased with actors picked, who were all relative unknowns.

The key to an excellent adaptation, either film or series, is to have a producer who cares and active author participation that really matters.

The producer's wife is big fan.  He said that if he messed things up, she'd murder him.  So we've got to have a homicidal spouse in the mix! ;)

Another series that might be coming is Eric Flint's 1632.  I posted the same analysis on Baen's Bar.

Elkhound

Alexander Siddig as Azim.

BalanceTheEnergies

Yeah, this topic is still on my mind too. Have been thinking of James McAvoy for Derry...
Dubito ergo sum

bronwynevaine

A Deryni movie doesn't seem likely  :'( but it's still fun to imagine who might play who...

One actor could play Brion and Nigel Haldane (like the twins in the in the two Parent Trap movies). My vote is Brendan Coyle (Bates from Downton Abbey). He's older than they were but makeup could fix that.

Many years ago I thought that Brian Blessed (Duke of Exeter in Henry V) could play Brion and Nigel, but he's 79. A very young-looking 79 but still too old.

Also from Downton Abbey, Rob James-Collier (Thomas Barrow) for Morgan and Allen Leech (Tom Branson) for Duncan. It would be nice to see the two of them as allies instead of adversaries. It would also be nice to see Rob James-Collier in a likeable role.

Someone else suggested Jessica Brown Findlay (Lady Sybil) for Rothana. Maybe we could just move the cast from Downton Abbey to Rhemuth Castle...

Sohpie McShera (Daisy) could be Araxie; Laura Carmichael (Lady Edith) could be Richenda; Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) could be Charissa; Joanna Froggatt (Anna Bates) could be Jehanna.

Getting away from Downton Abbey...

Kenneth Branagh could play Archbishop Loris; Gary Oldman could play Ewan, Duke of Claiborne; Alan Rickman could play Barrett de Laney.

When I saw the 2012 version of Les Miserables I thought Eddie Redmayne (Marius) was perfect for Dhugal. Now I think he's too old for Dhugal but he could be Wencit.

I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

BalanceTheEnergies

I still think about this myself (you can see an extensive list earlier in this thread). These days most of those recommendations stand, though of late I'm contemplating Yannick Bisson as Nigel and maybe James MacAvoy as Derry. This is still a fantasy subject, since the movie seems to be in development hell.
Dubito ergo sum