• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 105
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Chapter Ten

Started by Evie, September 22, 2015, 10:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I ended up watching two full seasons before turning it off. I think I got Hubby hooked on it too. You have much to answer for, Jerusha! ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

I do not watch that much TV  but this sounds interesting. Do you think it is on netflix?
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

They've all been uploaded to Youtube Laurna. I now feel totally ashamed that I have not seen any of them.

That will have to be remedied.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Gilreth

I love Time Team although my archeologist friend complains bitterly about the non-realistic nature of them at times.

Evie

My TV is internet capable, so I am watching them via YouTube for TV. But of course regular YouTube via any computer or tablet (or even smartphone) would work just as well, as long as you're on a device capable of showing good quality streaming video.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

So I watched one random episode this morning of Time team on Medieval England.  I love how they just go to people's back yards and gardens and just start digging them up. I would be like- "Get the heck out of my lovely garden! Your mucking it up!"  ;D It was fun watching the digital reconstruction of what used to be where, and now is something entirely different. I will definitely watch more episodes.
Evie, it did make me think what a change Old Rhemuth would have gone through in a 1000 years.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL!  At the beginning of most episodes, it's made quite clear that they are on that particular site by invitation of someone who has found something on their land and wants to know more about it.  But if you just watched a random episode, I can imagine that bit getting left out in the interests of time, especially if it was well enough in the season that viewers understood they don't just start digging up people's gardens without a proper invitation. ;D

Yes, the Rhemuth of Kelson's day would be extremely hard to find traces of, in part due to the Great Fire the Codex foreword mentions happening in the 1300s, though there would still be parts of the City wall and a few of the most important stone buildings remaining from that time (albeit mostly with changes made over the centuries). Oddly enough, property boundaries often are the oldest things to be found in a location rather than specific buildings or monuments, so it might still be possible to make out some of the medieval property boundaries of ancient Rhemuth if one were to look at the modern city from the air. And even if there was more of an effort after the Great Fire to rebuild the city streets on more of a grid, the placement of gates in the surrounding city walls (assuming those were left in the same place, but that seems more likely than adding the work of closing old gates to build new ones along with all the other rebuilding going on) would dictate that at least some streets would be built on more or less the same lines as before, with a more modern grid pattern being created between those main thoroughfares.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Quote from: Evie on September 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM
I ended up watching two full seasons before turning it off. I think I got Hubby hooked on it too. You have much to answer for, Jerusha! ;)

My work here is done.   ;D

I once wanted to be an archeologist, but my advisor had a pet tarantula and it put me off a bit.  Maybe it was all those eyes staring at me....  :o
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on September 27, 2015, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: Evie on September 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM

My work here is done.   ;D

I once wanted to be an archeologist, but my advisor had a pet tarantula and it put me off a bit.  Maybe it was all those eyes staring at me....  :o

I wanted to be an actress once, but didn't pursue it for the same reason .... ;D

--WARNING!!!--

LauraS

Quote from: Laurna on September 27, 2015, 03:06:00 PM
So I watched one random episode this morning of Time team on Medieval England.  I love how they just go to people's back yards and gardens and just start digging them up. I would be like- "Get the heck out of my lovely garden! Your mucking it up!"  ;D It was fun watching the digital reconstruction of what used to be where, and now is something entirely different. I will definitely watch more episodes.
Evie, it did make me think what a change Old Rhemuth would have gone through in a 1000 years.
"Time Team" was approached by the Looking for Richard Project with the exact location of where Richard III was finally found.  Time Team thought that it would take more than their allotted three days to do the excavation, so they passed on it.  The LFR team then hired the University of Leiceister Archaeological Service to do the work.  The ULAS found Richard's skeleton on the very first day, exactly where the Looking for Richard team said it would be.  Time Team is probably still kicking themselves...