• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 104
Total: 105
JudithR
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Try this!

Started by Elkhound, April 20, 2015, 12:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

http://iwl.me/

"I Write Like"--copy and paste a sample of your writing; the program will analyze it and decide what famous writer you resemble. 

(Note the trick.  *.me means that the server is in MExico, but it says: "I write like--me!")

Still, it is fun to see what comes out.   I've tried some of the fanfiction writers here, and got some interesting results, but I won't say what I got for any of them.  (That's for them to choose to do or leave undone.)

Evie

I think I tried that site once, or at least one like it, and tried several paragraphs from different stories in it, with different results each time. But it was amusing to play with. Thanks for reminding me of it;  I may go back and play with it some more.  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

So, let's see here.  Trying multi-paragraph excerpts from three of my stories, I get these results:

Visionaries -- Dan Brown
Anamchara -- Mario Puzo
The Killing Season (full prologue) -- Jonathan Swift

Whaaaatttt???   ;D

I'm really curious about what the underlying parameters are for the program to make those particular choices, and if selecting other bits of text from the same story will yield the same or different results. (I suspect even those will differ, but I'm on my way to an appointment and don't have time to play with it more right now. I will say that as much as I admire Swift's writing--not to mention his delicious use of satire--I'm just not seeing any resemblance to what I've read of Swift's work and style to my writing in the prologue to TKS. I'm not familiar enough with the other authors' works to make any judgment on those selections, but my undergraduate degree was in English with special emphasis on British Literature, and I've read a fair few samples of Swift's work. Maybe the rubric is based more on word choices than writing style?

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

I believe it says somewhere on the site that the longer the sample, the more accurate the results.

I just put in one of my fanfictions from Another Fandom and got J.D. Salinger.

Evie

Yes, that's why I used a fairly large chunk of text from each story rather than just a few sentences.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

I posted a good bit of Chapter 3 of Miracles and got Dan Brown, then posted the entire epilogue and got James Joyce.

Not sure what to think of that, to be honest, LOL.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

With my luck I'd get William S. Grey.  ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

Better him than E. L. James.  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Stephanie Meyer? . .  .EEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!

Evie

Could be worse. It could say you write just like Tara Gillesbie:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-immortal-the-worst-fanfiction-ever

Warning: If you follow that link, please be advised that this young lady's vocabulary choices are not of the most genteel variety, nor are her...um...plotlines, if one can call them that.  So in her own words, "VIOWER EXCRETION ADVISD."   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I submitted the first chapter of Fall from Grace, and the results came out as H.P. Lovecraft!

Maybe it's all about the dragon.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany