• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 191
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Yikes, Laurna!  Shall we send Rhys to you to put you into Healer's sleep?

(BTW, Evie, "Lord love a dayglo rubber ducky" had me giggling until Carys looked at me like, "What's your problem?"  Thanks!  ;D )
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on January 19, 2018, 09:14:19 AM
Yikes, Laurna!  Shall we send Rhys to you to put you into Healer's sleep?

(BTW, Evie, "Lord love a dayglo rubber ducky" had me giggling until Carys looked at me like, "What's your problem?"  Thanks!  ;D )

My usual "Lord love a duck" just didn't seem strong enough under the circumstances.  LOL!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Totally agree with Evie, the  only stress in this game should be those pesky dice.

Although Wash might want to consider the new royal haircut modelled by Prince William - you don't appear to have a bald spot if you have no hair ( sorry haven't  worked out how to copy links).
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

LOL  Love you gals, your all wonderful.
Go ahead run with the story, Let Wash tag along.  Just Please Do NOT Shave His Head!  :o :o :o ;D ;D that is a big NO!  LOL

I have searched my shelves and I can not locate that story of Kelric and Kelson's daughter. Do you recall the name of the story?
I want to read it. And in my opinion, if it is published (meaning put in a format that's approved by KK and made for purchase to the public), it is canon, whether fanfiction or KK's.

May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I think the story Jerusha was referring to was in Deryni Archives the fanzine, not Deryni Archives the published book, so unless you have the back issues of that old fanzine, you might not find it.  I own the published book version which has some of KK's favorite stories from the fanzine in it, but far from everything that was ever published in it, and I don't recall ever having read that story, so that's why I think it must have been in the 'zine.

The problem with considering fanfiction as canon is that not only does it often conflict with what KK decides to write later (or sometimes even with what she's already written, if it's an Alternate Universe fanfic), but it conflicts with other people's fanfic.  There is just no way to have every single fan's imaginary version of KK's world interconnect.  Even on this board, my stories presuppose a non-canonical kingdom called Llyr, while Alkari's stories do not.  I originally tried to dovetail my stories in with hers and Annie's, but trying to keep up with everyone else's timelines in addition to our own became much more work than fun, so we mutually agreed not to feel bound to interconnect our story worlds, especially as we hoped other people would eventually want to add their own stories to the forum, and we didn't want them to feel constrained to having to make all their stories fit in with ours.

That said, when fanfic stories become so popular that they almost assume a form of canonicity of their own, the events and characters in them often become what some people call "fanon," or "fan canon." But even then, fanon can and will be overturned in a heartbeat if KK gets a better idea.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Oh look, while searching for something completely different, I stumbled upon Aliset! LOL!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/377458012492666026/

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

The chainmail may come in handy.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Especially if I use that old dice roller!   ;D

Pardon my distraction from the game (although I'm doing something game-related, I promise!), but I've fallen in love with this room.  Proper period style for this bedchamber...be still, my beating heart!  <3

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 19, 2018, 01:32:18 PM
Oh look, while searching for something completely different, I stumbled upon Aliset! LOL!

Beautiful but a tad scary. Does Valerian know who he is provoking?
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 19, 2018, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 19, 2018, 01:32:18 PM

Beautiful but a tad scary. Does Valerian know who he is provoking?

Oswald's the one who ought to be worried. If he forces her to marry him, he's likely to get stabbed in his sleep!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

There was a story on a ( I think ) now defunct website to which Annie gave me the link when I first joined the forum. It was written before KK wrote KKB and in it Kelson married a Mearan heiress who was supposed to kill him but in the end she saved him by killing/ allowing to be killed her childhood sweetheart. Although she was already pregnant Kelson couldn't forgive her for her intended treachery and intended to repudiate her after the baby was born. There was a complicated subplot involving St Camber, Dhugal and Rothana but eventually after a lot of tears on all sides she (can't remember her name, sorry) and Kelson were reconciled and their daughter was born, but turned out to be deaf. In a very sweet epilogue Kelric falls in love with her and they marry. Maybe this is the one people are thinking of, if my long rambling explanation rings any bells.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on January 19, 2018, 12:56:52 PM
I think the story Jerusha was referring to was in Deryni Archives the fanzine, not Deryni Archives the published book, so unless you have the back issues of that old fanzine, you might not find it.  I own the published book version which has some of KK's favorite stories from the fanzine in it, but far from everything that was ever published in it, and I don't recall ever having read that story, so that's why I think it must have been in the 'zine.

Just for clarity's sake, Deryni Archives, the paperback book published in 1986, held stories written by KK that were just not long enough/not relevant enough to the plot at hand/not in a sufficiently relevant time period/whatever to be included in any of the novels she'd published at that time.  She did mention (possibly in the introductory blurb to "Legacy") withholding the short story "Swords Against the Marluk," the events of which are covered in part of the Childe Morgan trilogy, from that collection because she knew even then that she was going to expand upon that short piece.

Deryni Archives the Zine was pretty much all fan-written stories (or fan-created art or whatever), although I believe KK got final say-so on which contributions were included. I'm pretty sure there were at least twenty issues of the zine printed.  One of these days, we might get around to making a PDF version of the zine.   ;)

Deryni Tales is a published paperback of mostly fan-written stories (I think there may be one or two stories in that collection that are KK's work, but it's largely fan contributions), and it was published in 2002.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

I've been wondering about that poor little pretender Queen caught up in all this Mearan sympathizer plotting, but couldn't come up with another scene for her because I couldn't visualize her properly. But I think maybe I've found her now.

I think she has the right combination of youthful beauty and innocence (at least compared to our truly evil "baddies" like Valerian and Oswald), yet a somewhat spoiled and indulged look as well. As a presumed princess and now would-be Queen, she is used to getting what she wants to some extent (although probably still kept firmly under the control of others she trusts to be wise advisors), yet as a pawn in a much larger game, she looks young enough to be very naive and vulnerable. And yet I can also see her being ruthless if it aids a cause she truly believes in. And I suspect she has an independent streak that is not completely tamed and suppressed, so if she ever wakes up to how she is being used, or if she ever comes to realize that having Valerian as an ally is potentially even worse than having Kelson as an enemy, I can see her summoning up the courage to fight back.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I like her picture and I very much like your definition of her.
May your horses have wings and fly!