• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 368
Total: 368
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Good one, Laurna!  Wash gets the Hermione Granger Award for Using Logic In Stressful Situations!  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

Amazing Laurna. Could this scroll be from Camberian times and tell how to block powers or bestow them on others?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

Everyone keeps using the word Amazing. lol. The only thing I find Amazing is that I managed to survive all those failed dice rolls.  Thankfully, they have only given Wash a Headach. That is, so far! :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

I am fascinated  by the scroll. It seems to be more than a healers scroll. Where did Feyd get it and did he really know what he had?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

Feyd has access to a lot of stuff ... and he didnt take the time to really know what he had, it was just to use as a trap for Washburn and would have been left at the Royal Library if it was used as originally planned.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

I, personally, wasn't sure if Feyd had taken the time to decipher the scroll. I am sure he had read all the parts that were readable. He might have suffered through the first paragraphs that were misspelled. However, Feyd is not a Healer himself, so he likely did not care enough to spend the time to decipher the last half of the text. The fact that the letters were scrambled actually worked best for his purpose. His original plans were to give the scroll to the newly fledged Healer Washburn as an incitement to come to the Royal Library. Once there, Feyd had intended to pounce on Washburn in much the same way that it actually happened, by looking over Washburn's shoulder and stabbing him with the pricker.

The change from Feyd's plans came from good-old/young amorous Jaxom kidnapping the Lady Aliset and bringing Washburn to the Royal Library ahead of Feyd's set-upped ambush. In the end, though Feyd was surprised by the ambush, he managed to accomplish exactly what he wanted. Which was the capture of the son of Alaric Morgan,  drugged and pliable. Wash didn't have much of a chance either way. But I think he might have been able to fight Feyd back if Lady Aliset had not been involved. But then where would the story be if that hadn't happened? Sometimes it is really fun just rolling with the punches. At least from a writer's/gamer's perspective, not the characters.

Now, my opinion of the scroll is that it is a brief summery of a very ancient text, namely the Green Protocol of Orin. The summery has been translated many times over the centuries and words have been "dummied down" for easier conceptualization.  And then in Camber's time, the text was scramble and ciphered in order to hide the Blocking Ability from prying minds. Most copies of this scroll would have been burned long ago.

My hope is that Washburn will be able to decipher the last two paragraphs.(I do have them written out and deciphered myself) Though that will all depend on what happens next.

P.S Thank you, DR, for the Hermione Granger Award. Washburn would be a happy recipient; that is if he ever gets out of the stressful situation that he is in. LOL

So funny! I nearly typed cwac for the word that. I have the cipher on my brain. lol

Jerusha

I didn't see this until today.  Well done, Laurna!  I think you get the "dice survivor" award! 😊
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Thank you, Revanne. I shed a few tears when the Shiral Crystal passed hands from Grandfather to grandson. And a wonderful gift to pass on from the Countess of Derry. Lady Celeste de Derry would be most please to hear of it.

HoundMistress

Love the latest episodes! I hope Wash can be rescued by Columcil & Darcy and hope they all come home safely! Then Wash & Columcil can become Healers of note and Darcy & Aliset can get married & start a family.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

DerynifanK

Wouldn't it be a real twist if Wash learned how to switch off deryni  powers and could somehow do that to Feyd, allowing Wash to escape? Plenty of guilt to go around for those who did not value Wash and so did not help him develope his talents, especially  failing  to recognize his healing talent. The writing continues to be great. Especially loved the interaction  between Duncan and Columcil.

DerynifanK

Tomorrow  is my birthday. I consider this new post a wonderful birthday  present. Thank you Laurna. Your imagination  and writing  ability continue to amaze me. I hope Wash  has this ability and the opportunity  to use it effectively. But I thought capturing Wash and taking him to Valerian  was a business deal and it was not at the Morgans that his vengeance  was directed. It was just a way to get money to fund his real quest. Did I get it wrong?

revanne

Quote from: DerynifanK on August 07, 2018, 12:41:45 PM
But I thought capturing Wash and taking him to Valerian  was a business deal and it was not at the Morgans that his vengeance  was directed. It was just a way to get money to fund his real quest. Did I get it wrong?

As I read it - and a wonderful piece of writing again Laurna - Wash is considering trying out whether he has the blocking trait on Feyd but decides against it because he doesn't want to incur the vengeance of Feyd and his family and thus make it personal. Up to this point it has simply been a business transaction but this would change if Washburn did something as hostile as blocking Feyd's Deryni powers.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on August 07, 2018, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: DerynifanK on August 07, 2018, 12:41:45 PM
But I thought capturing Wash and taking him to Valerian  was a business deal and it was not at the Morgans that his vengeance  was directed. It was just a way to get money to fund his real quest. Did I get it wrong?

As I read it - and a wonderful piece of writing again Laurna - Wash is considering trying out whether he has the blocking trait on Feyd but decides against it because he doesn't want to incur the vengeance of Feyd and his family and thus make it personal. Up to this point it has simply been a business transaction but this would change if Washburn did something as hostile as blocking Feyd's Deryni powers.

Exactly, Revanne. Bynw and I commensurated on this idea for a moment after chat on Sunday. He laughed at me as I described to him what I thought Feyd and his house of assassins would do to Wash and all of his family if ever Wash used it on Feyd. Something to do with being skinned alive and left to the wolves. Remember we don't even know what the 200-year-old vengeance that Feyd is happily contemplated was about. Might have been some very minor insult, for all we know.