• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

How many jumps per day

Started by MerchantDeryni, September 21, 2018, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MerchantDeryni

"Anyway, that's about all the work I'd planned for tonight-and you did far better than I'd expected. You
will need a good night's sleep, though. I wasn't joking about the energy drain. One doesn't normally jump
more than two or three times in a twenty-four hour period, and we've done- what?-four, five? And I
came to you from-well, farther away than any of these-and will need to get home. Fortunately, all of our
jumps were close together."

'Quest for St. Camber' Tiercel explains jumping to Conall. This helps me with my trade portal material I have been posting about lately.

So I think I can justify a sequence of jumps of 3 or 4 jumps a day, maybe even 5 if the jumps are staggered a few hours apart and the person rests between each jump.

Bynw

I would say as a rule of thumb yes. But it would also depend on distance travelled as well. A long jump may cause the operator to be too tired and fatigued to make any others.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

MerchantDeryni

Yeah, that's my biggest issue and area of hand waving. The fatigue when using the portal is a real issue for my trade network.

If draining another Deryni or a human is allowed I could have a live in staff of people who get shuttled from one location and back as people flit to and fro on the network. Pay them a few pennies a day and a street kid could earn as much as a skilled laborer. That is my own concept anyway. Deryni have a long history of energy transfer.

Either that or they have to wait 3 hours between jumps. They can have a meal and a cup of tea, a nap etc. Then continue on the journey. Each night they need a good 8 hours of bedrest.

Allows for the scene:

"You know you could at least try and blend in. We are trying to keep a low profile."

"Whatever do you mean? I'm just having some lunch and reading the paper."

"Yes, exactly. You are sitting on a patio eating lunch in Cairo and reading the Rhemuth Times. It is this morning's edition."

"I have to keep up with the news, so much is happening in the world. Pass the salt would you?"