• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on April 11, 2019, 07:24:50 PM
So I am just asking. If you kill because you were paid for it you're not a murderer but if you do it for other reasons  like robbery or revenge then you are a murderer?

For Feyd, a robber who kills is murderer. Self defense is understandable, but still you should have planned the robbery better to avoid the loss of life. Revenge is a perfectly acceptable reason, most of the time one will hire an assassin for that purpose anyway.

I shouldn't have to say anything about real life on this subject though.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Let us keep this to Medieval science-fiction fantasy, please. The joy of science-fiction is that you can explore unsavory aspects of another's world, while keeping it far away from our own real world ethos.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DerynifanK

I was talking about our medieval  setting, certainly  not real life. I was asking because you guys know more about it than I do and I'm still learning. I want to understand how Feyd would see it  as well as others in our fantasy world .
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

At best Feyd is an antihero. He's got a code of ethics that he follows that makes sense to him and his order. It might not make sense to anyone else and even be contradictory at times.

Our game doesn't have the concept of Alignments. Which is used in some games (like Dungeons and Dragons and others) that give a rough outline of a characters moral perspective.

In D&D there are 9 of them. Which combine Law vs Chaos and Good vs Evil. Feyd would be Lawful Evil. Which is described as:

Lawful Evil, "Dominator"

A lawful evil character methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises.

This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil characters have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled characters.

Some lawful evil people and creatures commit themselves to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master.

Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical," because devils are the epitome of lawful evil.

If you want to see more about alignment you can check out the System Reference Document where this came from at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#alignment

Bynw

Feyd would fit under this alignment category from the Palladium RPG systems.

Aberrant (Evil)
The cliche that there is "No honor among thieves." is false when dealing with the aberrant character. This is a person who is driven to attain his goals through force, power, and intimidation. Yet the aberrant person stands apart from the norm, with his own, personal code of ethics (although twisted ethics by the standards of good). He expects loyalty from his minions, punishing disloyalty and treachery with a swift, merciful death. An aberrant person will always keep his word of honor and uphold any bargains. He will define his terms and live by them, whether anyone else likes it or not.

So there is some insight into Feyd.

DerynifanK

Thanks. I have never played  games like this before and I really appreciate  the insights. I really wanted to understand Feyd and his view. This helped a lot,
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Bynw

Quote from: DerynifanK on April 12, 2019, 09:14:20 AM
Thanks. I have never played  games like this before and I really appreciate  the insights. I really wanted to understand Feyd and his view. This helped a lot,

In this game we don't have alignments. The closest thing we have to that concept is the character's belief. And for Fiona that is currently Loyalty to family and king is paramount. Deryni powers are to be used for the benefit of others, never to gain control over them.

So from this it can be deduced that Fiona believes that blood is stronger than water. Family is very important to her which is why she left and went back to the manor house to save her family. Her loyalty to the king means she takes her oaths seriously, even if they are made by others on her behalf since she doesn't have titles in her own right.

Feyd likewise takes his oaths seriously, especially contracts. But not all oaths of course since he is a spy. Just as Iain wouldn't take an oath seriously if he had to make one before Valerian while he was a guard.

Fiona also believes that using Deryni powers is a great responsibility to use them wisely. But not for the manipulation of others. So as she learns what happened to Washburn it will just be appalling to her sense of morality. But even the King uses his powers to manipulate others. Just ask any squire who has bent down to remove the King's spurs and had his mind manipulated so he could not speak of things he hears while in the presence of the king to others.

Laurna

DeryniFanK,  That was a very nice wrap up of Baron Stuart's troubles. It will be very nice for them to sit down to dinner and enjoy a return to calm. How long do we dare say it will last?  ;)

Jerusha

Nicely done, DerynifanK.  I suspect the peace will last until the sweet course is served at the end of the meal.  If they are lucky.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Jerusha

Nothing ever goes smoothly for our heroes.  ;)

Well done, Laurna!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Yeah. But that's what XP is for to give yourself a break. Or special cards.

HoundMistress

Great reading tonight on the new pieces of the game! Nice to go to bed with such good reading done. Keep up the good writing!!
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

revanne

Columcil apologises for his failure to contact Earl Brendan. Despite our tale being set in high summer he has become entangled in Holy Week.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Columcil's companions nod in understanding as they gradually make their way down the Cuilteine Road toward the turnoff.    :)

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

LOL!  Oh, how a sailor can spin a good yarn. It is all those long nights on the ocean that make for such good  tellers of tales and half-truths that seem so unbelievable that they must be true.  LOL.