• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Valoret sacristy portal discrepancy?

Started by Liesel, June 19, 2020, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liesel

In The Harrowing of Gwynedd, Kai Descantor dies destroying the portal in the sacristy of the Valoret cathedral. Javan later confirms that it was indeed destroyed.

In The Quest for Saint Camber, Arilan and Duncan use the portal in the sacristy of the Valoret cathedral to transfer to Rhemuth. (I believe the sacristy portal is also functional when an attempt is made to attack Brion shortly before his crowning, in one of the books of the Childe Morgan trilogy, when Rhydon got the scar on his face...).

Kai Descantor destroyed the portal. There are no Deryni in the church hierarchy for the next, I believe, 200 years. How and why is the portal functioning in King Brion and King Kelson's time?

Laurna

I have had this same question myself. Good Catch.
We know that once a portal is destroyed it can not be revived. We are also pretty certain that no Deryni Priests were among the clergy at Valoret for the next 200 years. Yet, it was sometime in the next 200 years that someone did find a reason to construct a new portal at the cathedral of Valoret. All I can say is that Valoret is a pivotal location in the middle of Gwynnedd and that the Battle of Killingford happened very near to Valoret in the year 1025. I am thinking that we might get an answer to the reason for the construction of the new Portal in the All Saints Cathedral in Valoret  during the story Road to Killingford. Or it could also have happened during the plaque in 948. It would be fun to learn just what the circumstances were that made it important to reopen a new portal there.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

This is a great question for KK during our regular weekly chat or even the monthly Zoom chat.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

Welcome Liesel. So glad you have joined us. Your question about the portal in the sacristy of Valoret cathedral is intriguing. I also think that Killingford might very well have been the impetus for the creation of a new portal there. Great question for Sunday's chat.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Liesel

Thanks all!
I don't think  I will be able to join the chat -- if someone wants to ask the question and post the answer, I'd be thrilled!

Bynw

Liesel,

We posted your question to the chat this evening with KK and this is what was said about it:

[18:14:50] <DesertRose> My guess is, someone built a new one at some point in time, because Bishop Kai very definitely destroyed the Camber-era one.
[18:15:27] <KK> That's a Gotcha, Anlarye--though I suppose it could have been reinstated in the intervening years.
[18:15:42] <KK> Like I said.
[18:15:55] <DesertRose> The forum theory appears to be that someone did it either in 948 or around Killingford.
[18:16:47] <KK> That would make sense.

Liesel

Thank you!

I have a question on the answer to my question (why is the way I wrote that making me think "Dr. Seuss"?)

Before I registered here and could post a question, I posted the same question on a different forum.  Can I post the information from your answer there, in case someone else is curious?  And, if I do that, should I include a link to this site?

Bynw

Yes you may. Please do link the post so more can learn about us here.