• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Visiting the Eleven Kingdoms!!

Started by derynifanatic64, January 10, 2008, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianneTK

I thought that it was "Lost Caeriesse that sank beneath the sea" -- for some strange reason, I keep thinking Lost Caeriesse is in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere...

Quote from: Elkhound on July 03, 2008, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: tenworld on July 03, 2008, 01:45:44 PM
isnt it implied in the Camber books that the Deryni genes originated in the north (more or less the Scandanavian analog) sometime around the early centuries CE? so it wouldn't necessarily be found in every human ethnic group.

That's what was believed, but that isn't necessarily what was so.

mikegeo

Quote from: tenworld on July 03, 2008, 01:45:44 PM
isnt it implied in the Camber books that the Deryni genes originated in the north (more or less the Scandanavian analog) sometime around the early centuries CE? so it wouldn't necessarily be found in every human ethnic group.

Although the Vikings did get around a lot (Normandy, Sicily, Ireland, Russia, Turkey, North America) so maybe the dragon ships were the deryni vector?

The Codex indicates that Deryni were originally from Caeriesse, with major colonies of Deryni located in Kheldour and Torenth.  When Caeriesse was lost (525 I think) Deryni started to play a more visible role in the 11 Kingdoms (founding of Torenth, for example).

The Codex also more than hint of "magic" existing in the Eastern Kingdoms that is not associated with the Deryni,for example the oldest Portal is in Rum, a part of the world that should not have any Deryni.  Deryni were probably originally one of many peoples in this world that have access to magic.   Over time, in the 11 Kingdoms, all magic became associated with the Deryni.

derynifanatic64

I would even consider going back to the year 411 when Halbert the Dane ruled what would become Gwynedd.  Meeting the earliest known Haldane would be very interesting.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

Quote from: JulianneTK on August 23, 2008, 08:05:48 PM
There are a couple of really good stories in some of the "Deryni Archives the Zine" about Jewish Deryni...  There's an excellent one in Deryni Tales, too (the paperback book).

Are the stories in Deryni Tales--other than the one by KK--considered canon?