• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 187
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Rhemuth Samhain Costume Ball

Started by Shiral, October 24, 2010, 01:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

All right, Halloween is only a week away. Since it's all virtual, you can come to the costume ball dressed as the person of your choice from the Deryni universe.

Who will you impersonate at the Deryni Samhain costume ball?  You have a week to decide!
And what will you bring for the refreshments?  (Queen Araxie's giving the castle staff the night off, so the feast is pot luck.)

Don't let piddly things like reality and practicality and cost weigh you down--sky's the limit!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

AnnieUK

Will need to think about the who - needs to be suitably ostentatious I think, why be modest when it's all virtual.

I can provide the alcoholic refreshments - I have a nice mead (I'll not bring the blackberry mead as I've discovered it is young enough that even one glass brings on a thumping headache, and I'd not have your November 1st ruined) and a blackberry wine which has turned out sweeter than usual, but is still eminently quaffable.

Evie

I'm tempted to go as Maryse MacArdry, but only if that wouldn't cause Duncan any undue distress.  (Besides which, I'd have to learn a shape-changing spell to go as Maryse, as no one wants to see a blonde wig on my actual features and complexion.   Grown men would go screaming for their mamas!  :D )  If the Maryse plan falls through, then I can go as Meraude.  I already have the dark hair and eyes, and I certainly wouldn't mind dressing as befits a Duchess for one evening!   ;)

(If I were going as one of my own Deryni characters, I'd go as Sophie.  She's the closest to my actual self in both physical description and personality anyway, and that would give me a great excuse to sit in a quiet corner of the Great Hall thoroughly enjoying myself by watching everyone else's revelry while I sit and take mental notes of the evening's highlights to write in my journal later.  Or if things start to get too raucous, I'd slip off to the Library and read a bit.)

Hm...what to bring?  Annie's already bringing mead, so I'll put my bottle of Llyrian stock back in the cellar, but I suppose I could bring some mulled cider along.  Given Jass's recent reaction to pizza, I'm half tempted to bring in some other delight featuring an ingredient or two from the New World--lasagne, maybe?  Or...no, if I'm going to have access to tomato-based products, I might as well go all out and bring my Million Dollar Moroccan Chicken.  And, in honor of the spooky occasion, some rum balls dipped in white chocolate and decorated with half a candied cherry each, arranged on a platter to resemble eyeballs.... 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

AnnieUK

Have decided that for sheer terror potential it would have to be Oksana d'Enghieux, complete with low-cut scarlet gown - that would scare the bravest of you on here! ;)

But if I'm being sensible, I might pick another of Evie's characters and be Ailidh, complete with trews suitable for tree-climbing. :D

DesertRose

I'd have to go as Rothana, in her pink silks, before everything went to hades in a handbasket for her and Kelson and Conall.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on October 24, 2010, 01:55:18 PM
Have decided that for sheer terror potential it would have to be Oksana d'Enghieux, complete with low-cut scarlet gown - that would scare the bravest of you on here! ;)

But if I'm being sensible, I might pick another of Evie's characters and be Ailidh, complete with trews suitable for tree-climbing. :D

Jass dares you to show up as Ailidh, though personally I think it would be fun if I show up as Meraude and you show up as Oksana.  We could both pretend to stalk whoever shows up dressed as Nigel!   ;) ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

QuoteDon't let piddly things like reality and practicality and cost weigh you down

Well, as I am anything BUT young, slim, red-haired and utterly beautiful, I think I should definitely come as Richenda  :D   Wearing the Furstana emeralds of course.  At least she gets to go home with Alaric  ;)

What to bring?  Hmmm - well, over the years I have had strong men go weak at the knees for these, so I will bring my super special chocolate fudge brownies, with chocolate sour cream frosting. 

And in case KK turns up, I will also order a delivery van to bring a tempting selection from one of our best ice cream shops.

Gyrfalcon64207

Since this is all virtual, I think I'll be Vera.  And I'll bring strawberry-blackberry-spinach salad and Kahlua Chocolate Mousse.

Evie

If that's the spinach and strawberries salad that comes with a sort of sweetish-sourish poppyseed dressing, I think I'll pack an extra large bowl....   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Yum!  I've not tried it with blackberries, but I've used blueberries in it before, and I also add slivered almonds.  I made the mistake of bringing this salad to work once for a potluck Thankgiving dinner, and now they won't let me bring anything else.   ;D

Who is decorating the Great Hall, by the way?  I'll provide some luminaries.

--WARNING!!!--

Bynw

I'll come as the greatest Healer of the 11 Kingdoms.

Rhys
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

derynifanatic64

I would probably come as Orin the great Deryni adept.  I am about the same age as Orin was when Augarin Haldane founded Gwynedd (at least according to the Codex).
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Shiral

I will come to the ball as..

Morag Furstana, in purple with an aura of myserious, menacing sex-appeal, since it IS Samhain and we're all explorin the dark side.  (It's all virtual, as I've already made clear.)

We need a bit of protein at this ball, so I bring some roast venison. LOTS of roast venison!  And some baklava, and a bit of cousin Matyas's wines...

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

AnnieUK

You can bring cousin Matyas too, if you like...  (Annie strolls off whistling)