• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Wedding Journey -- Chapter 1

Started by bronwynevaine, December 28, 2011, 10:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronwynevaine

"Just think, Juliana, this time tomorrow I'll be married." 

"And then?" whispered Juliana, "Baron Lothwaite..." 

"...dare noth wait" Cicely whispered back. 

Both girls giggled at the thought of the elderly baron awaiting his young bride.  Several other riders turned to see the cause of the girls' merriment.  Some looked curious, others indulgent.  Only Cicely's old nurse looked disapproving. 

Cicely lowered her eyes and attempted to look demure.  "Sarah will tell my mother I'm being frivolous again," she whispered to Juliana.  "Then I'll have to listen to Mother tell me again how a baron's wife should be dignified and proper and..." 

"And boring," giggled Juliana. 

"Cicely Amelia," Cicely whispered in her mother's voice, "MUST you continue to act like a child?  WHAT will the baron and his household think of your behavior?  Goodness KNOWS your father and I have raised you to be a LADY.  Do us the FAVOR of acting your AGE and your STATION." 

Juliana nearly choked to avoid laughing out loud.  "You'll be a beautiful bride, Cicely.  At least you know him.  And he is kind."   

"I know, but he's so old.  He was my grandfather's friend.  And he's been married three times..." 

"But he still doesn't have an heir..." 

The thought of wifely duties sobered Cicely.  "Oh Juliana, I'm so glad you're coming with me.  Mother almost didn't allow it, you know..."

The girls heard a shout from up ahead.  Two of the horses raced ahead of the group. 

"What are they doing, Juliana? Can you see?" 

"They're racing. Giles and Michael, I think.  Let's go see." 

"I hope Michael wins.  Giles has been insufferable lately." 

"You just like Michael better." 

Cicely sighed.  "Well, he is handsome..." 

"But not suitable..." 

"Now you sound like my father..." 

The girls edged their mounts ahead.  Several of the men in the party shouted encouragement or ridicule to the two boys.  A few placed small wagers. 

"My grandmother rides faster and she's blind," called out one of the older men.  "Fine knights they'll be," he joked to the well-dressed man beside him. 

"They will and you know it, Stephan," said Sir Gilbert.  "You've trained them nearly as well as you trained me." 

"And what a job that was..." 

"How much longer, Father?" asked Cicely, as she and Juliana joined the men. 

"An hour, maybe two," answered Sir Gilbert. 

"Are ye so eager to be wed?" asked Stephan.  "I'm surprised you're not racing with the boys." 

Sir Gilbert smiled fondly at his eldest daughter.  "And beating them like as not." 

Help. Oh God, help us. 

Juliana rocked in her saddle as the force of Michael's panic hit her.  Her hands gripped her pony's mane as she struggled to remain astride. 

"Child, what is the matter? Are you ill?" asked Sir Gilbert. 

"Hush!" commanded Stephan.  "Gilbert, take Arnald and Ranulf, protect the women.  Simon, James, Philip, Hugh, come with me.  Stephan's face was hard, his posture alert.  He seemed to be listening for something the others could not hear.  "No, Juliana, stay with Cicely." 

Juliana had not been aware that her pony was moving forward.  She opened her eyes and stared at Stephan, silently pleading with him to say that what she Saw was not true. 

Sir Gilbert and his retainers followed Stephan's orders without question. 

"But Father..." 

"Go to your mother," Sir Gilbert said, as Stephan and the younger men-at-arms spurred forward. 

"Come, Cicely," said Juliana sadly.  "Your mother and others will want to know what happened." 

"But I don't even know," protested Cicely, "Father wouldn't answer." 

Juliana turned her pony into the side of her friend's palfrey.  The gentle mare turned and followed the pony back toward the litter and carts.  The rear guard, four of Baron Lothwaite's knights and men-at-arms, had stopped the cavalcade.  They had formed a protective diamond around the litter carrying Cicely's mother and sister, the baggage carts, and the female attendants. 

Cicely's sister ran toward Juliana.  "Brigid, come back!" her mother called. 

"Go into the woods, Brigid," said Juliana, "take Sarah and the others and go.  Come on Cicely, we've got to hide." 

Sarah refused. "I'll stay with Lady Lanora.  Miriam, Abigail, go with Juliana.  Now!" 

Cicely heard her mother scream as arrows landed in the clearing.  Most hit the ground or the carts but one of the horses was hit and one of the men.  The injured horse reared and bolted; his startled rider nearly fell.  Cicely's horse tried to follow. 

Several well-dressed young men on blooded horses surrounded the group.  One dragged Cicely from her saddle; another grabbed Lady Lanora's maid Abigail.  "We don't want to hurt anyone," said the leader. 

You already have, thought Juliana. 

"Where is my father?" sobbed Cicely.  "Let me go." 

The leader ignored Cicely.  He inclined his head to Juliana.  They're not hurt, he assured her, well maybe a little sore. 

And angry, added the man who held Cicely.  Their horses ran away.  She struggled against him then went limp.  Abigail's eyes widened in horror before she too was still. 

You've made them sleep, accused Juliana, why?  Why did you even attack us?  We have no valuables, she lied.  And you don't look like brigands. 

"My lady, we most certainly are not brigands.  We patrol these roads.  I am—"   

"I don't care who you are," snapped Juliana.  "Where are others?  Where is Sir Gilbert?" 

Lady Lanora wailed at the sound of her husband's name. 

"There, there, milady," Sarah murmured, "Sir Gilbert and young master Giles will be fine." 

Hearing her son's name, Lady Lanora wailed again. 

Juliana took advantage of the leader's distraction to look for the other girls.  Miriam was cowering near Sarah; Brigid was nowhere to be seen. 

"Keep her quiet!" the leader ordered. 

"Or you'll do what?" Sarah challenged, "curse her too?  I'll not let you near her you...you...you Devil.  What did you do to Lady Cecily and Lady Abigail?"   

Without warning, Juliana screamed. 

We've been attacked! Save yourselves! 

The man holding Abigail flung her from his saddle.  She was trampled as he and two of his companions attempted to flee.  They were cut down by arrows more numerous and more deadly than their own had been. 

The leader surveyed Juliana calmly. I fear our acquaintance will come to naught.  Juliana stared at the arrow protruding from his throat as he toppled from his horse. 

Armed men entered the clearing, cutting down attackers and attacked.  Juliana slid from her pony.  She had to reach Cecily.  Cecily, like Abigail, was helpless.  She could not let her friend be trampled.  Juliana dragged Cecily to the meager shelter of an overturned cart.  She whispered prayers from childhood and tried to remain calm.  I have to save Cecily, I have to save Cecily. 

A huge man with a brown beard and a red face dragged Cecily from beside the cart.  "No!" Juliana cried, "she's Baron Lothwaite's bride." 

"He can have her when I'm done." 

Juliana tried to pull her friend away.  "I like a wench with spirit," said the huge man, "maybe I'll have you first."  He looked at the still form of Cecily.  "Your friend will wait," he leered. 

Juliana tried to crawl away.  The huge man laughed and dragged her closer.  He smells worse than the middens in July, Juliana thought.  She struggled to break free as the huge man shoved her to the ground. 

"Hold!" called a voice, "hold in the name of King Alroy!" 

"Help!" Juliana screamed.   

Four men and two boys in riding leathers entered the clearing.  Juliana's tormentor pulled her in front of him.  He held a dagger to her throat.  "Ye'll not take me alive," he shouted, "and if I die she dies." 

"No one need die," said the leader softly.  "Let her go." 

Juliana felt the point of the blade.  Her tormentor laughed.  "You'll not stop me, boy.  You and your friends should go play before you get hurt.  I'll break you in half then take the girl..." 

Suddenly, he dropped the dagger.  Juliana grabbed it and stood to face this new threat.  "You're not the king's men.  Who are you?" 

Her rescuer sheathed his sword.  "No, my lady, we're not the king's men.  But we serve the king and his justice.  My father is the Earl of Ebor.  These lands border our holdings. 

"You're Deryni," Juliana said dully, "so were they.  Some of them.  Where is Cicely?  Where are the others?" 

Come, my lady, come away from this."  He tried to compel her but Juliana resisted.  Shields, he sent to his companions.  She has shields

Juliana felt her rescuers' surprise.  Yes I have shields.  As to what happened here, I barely know.  We were attacked.  Twice I think.  It was her wedding journey.  Now it will be her funeral.  Juliana allowed herself to be led away.  But she kept hold of the dagger. 

Chapter 2:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=814.0

I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Evie

Oh my, that certainly didn't end up where it looked like it was heading at the start!  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

derynifanatic64

Quote from: Evie on December 29, 2011, 01:23:21 AM
Oh my, that certainly didn't end up where it looked like it was heading at the start!  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.   :D
I second that emotion!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

AnnieUK

Yay! A non Kelson era fic! (Am I going to have to dig out my Camber era stuff to swot up?)

Jerusha

Twists and turns aplenty.  I'm very curious to know who the first group of Deryni attackers were and what their motives were.  And is Cecily really dead?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

bronwynevaine

Thanks to all who read and commented.  This was originally just a flashback but I decided I needed to develop it more. 

Quote from: AnnieUK on December 29, 2011, 05:45:15 AM
Yay! A non Kelson era fic! (Am I going to have to dig out my Camber era stuff to swot up?)

Probably, I had to.  I love Kelson, Morgan and the others, but Camber, Evaine, Joram and Rhys--especially Rhys--are more intriguing. The heroism and the cruelty of the persecutions offer "scope for the imagination."
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Alkari

Ooh - murder and mayhem on the way to a wedding.  I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

And nice to see yet another new author on the board!  :D

bronwynevaine

Help! I'm trying to get my titles right (and feeling like the not-too-bright pages Prince Nigel was chastising in whichever book it was):

and if you ever address an earl simply as "Sir" he'll have your head for it.

I used knight as the lowest ranking and had him addressed as Sir. I used Lady to refer to his wife. Would his children have titles?

What title would be used to address a baron? Would his children have titles?

What rankings use the title Lord? What titles would his children have?

If Lord Geoffrey and Sir John were mentioned, would it be clear that Geoffrey was of higher rank?

Evie

In KK's world, going from the novels and the Codex, Earls, Barons and Lords all seem to be universally addressed as "my lord," though a Duke is formally referred to as "Your Grace." This differs a little from real world usage, IIRC, and SCA usage as well, so it's better to refer to her books instead of Google for Gwyneddan forms of address.  KK also sometimes uses 'sir' as a respectful form of address regardless of rank, as we say "Yes, sir" nowadays, though only a knight is addressed as "Sir ____".  An Earl would normally be a knight also, so he wouldn't be insulted by the lower title (unless the speaker meant it as a slight), but the highest title held is customarily used.  Alaric is a duke and an earl, but is generally addressed by his ducal rank alone.

As for the children of nobility, Codex seems to refer to them all just as Lord and Lady, unless the child is an heir inheriting a higher title.  The Duke of Cassan's heir, for instance, would inherit the Earldom of Kierney during his father's lifetime and would only become both Duke and Earl after his father dies, at which point his eldest son and heir would be the next Earl, at least in name.  But notice that Briony is a duke's daughter and Jashana is just a landed knight"s daughter, but Codex gives both the simple title of Lady.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Gwynned doesn't seem to use the titles of Marquis or Viscount.  Is a German Margrave the same thing as an Anglo-French Marquis?  And what would be the equivalent of a Spanish hidalgo?

Evie

I'm not all that familiar with the German titles, although I vaguely recall reading something that makes me think Margrave might be a bit closer in meaning to "marcher" (as in "marcher lords"...I.e., the lords in the border lands, or marches).  I could be confusing it with something else, though.

Hidalgo, on the other hand, I think was the Spanish term for their lowest level of nobility, below the great lords but above the gentry.  In the terms of KK's world, I'd guess that our world's hidalgos would be the rough equivalent to their knights and lower lords (i.e., the ones who didn't stand to inherit some higher title once they reached adulthood).  IIRC, Don Quixote of literary fame was a hidalgo.

Going back to bronwynevaine's question that I forgot to address earlier:
If Lord Geoffrey and Sir John were mentioned, would it be clear that Geoffrey was of higher rank?

Maybe; maybe not.  That is to say, a knight is technically a lord (and the son of a knight, at least in KK's world, is "Lord ___" just as a son of a baron, earl, or duke is).  But "sir" is a military title that is earned, not simply inherited, so I would imagine a Gwyneddan born into the lower nobility (i.e. knight's sons, whether landed or sons of knights errant) and/or perhaps a younger son of a great lord as well, might end up preferring to go by "Sir ___" after his knighting.   I would think, though, that the older sons of great lords would probably lean towards using "Lord ___" until they inherit whatever greater titles they're waiting in the wings for.  The thing is, I don't think any of the books explicitly state this.  I'm mainly extrapolating based on how titles among various families seem to work in the novels and in the Codex.  For instance, Jamyl Arilan was the son of Sir Michael Sextus Arilan.  Before he was knighted, he would have been Lord Jamyl, but after his knighting he was known as Sir Jamyl Arilan, which is how he's listed in the Codex.  His children, otoh, are listed as the Lord Seisyll, the Lady Javana, the Lady Jashana, and the Lord Sextus.  Does this mean his children outrank him, and that he got a demotion of sorts when he was knighted?  No, of course not.  But a "Lord ___" has a much greater chance of being a higher ranking lord than someone who goes by "Sir ___," so one can assume that Lord Geoffrey is at least of equal rank to Sir John, and is even more likely to be of higher rank.  (I probably ought to check the RPG book too, come to think, since I'm fairly sure it also has a few words to say on the subject.)

Did I just make that clear as mud?   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

QuoteI vaguely recall reading something that makes me think Margrave might be a bit closer in meaning to "marcher" (as in "marcher lords"...I.e., the lords in the border lands, or marches).
Good memory.  :)  The English / Scottish equivalent was "marcher lord" and denoted major military responsibilities in border regions.  See quite detailed entry here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrave.  Towards the end of the article, it is noted that the rank eventually sat somewhere above earl and below duke.

"My lord" does seem to be a generic form of address for most nobility (kings and princes excepted!), although in terms of Nigel's instructions to the pages in DR, I seem to recall in one of the books that the formal address for an earl was "my lord earl".    ETA:  Knew I'd seen it recently.  In Camber of Culdi, the lieutenant in charge of the soldiers who bring Cathan's body home initially addresses Camber as 'my Lord Earl', but after that simply calls him 'my lord'.

Adding to what Evie said, you would have to use 'my lord earl / duke' or 'my lord' in the case of younger dukes or earls who had not yet been knighted or indeed even attained their majority.  Dhugal as Earl of Transha is 'Lord Dhugal' until he is knighted, and of course later on he is acknowledged as Duke of Cassan.   Brendan Coris was confirmed as Earl of Marley when he turned six, so he would be addressed at least as 'my lord' until he is eventually knighted.   Although he is serving as Morgan's page and then squire, if he were taken to visit Marley before age 14, I think the Marley nobles would be expected to address him as 'my lord' or 'my lord earl' depending on the type of occasion.

Evie

And assuming that rules of courtesy in Gwynedd bear at least some passing similarity to those I learned in the SCA (which isn't too far a stretch to assume, given that KK used to participate in the Society and was, in fact, the Society Steward for a while, which would be the rough equivalent to the President of the entire organization), if a person is in doubt as to what to call any person of noble birth, "my lord" or "my lady" will always be correct.  They may have higher titles on top of this, but only a thin-skinned stickler for orders of precedence is going to take offense at being called by one of their lesser titles if the person addressing them either genuinely doesn't know that s/he is entitled to a higher one, or simply doesn't know the proper form of address.  So mothers of common-born children probably advise them, "If you see anyone who looks like a knight or higher nobleman, just bow or curtsey very respectfully and call them 'My Lord' or 'My Lady,' and if they ought to be called something different instead, their retainers will let you know."   :D

Now, on the other hand, if some stuffy Deryni-loathing sort is simply looking down his nose at, let's say, young Dhugal (since I can't imagine anyone trying this with Alaric!) and calling him "Sir Dhugal" just to be snotty, when as the new Duke of Cassan he's entitled to be called "Your Grace," then yeah, I can see Dhugal putting him in his place right quickly.  Sometimes the intent behind the choice of title means everything. 

--WARNING!!!--

bronwynevaine

I thought that the proper form of address was the person's highest title. Alaric and Dhugal are both knights, earls, and dukes, but they go by Duke Alaric or Duke Dhugal.

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2012, 09:06:56 AM

Now, on the other hand, if some stuffy Deryni-loathing sort is simply looking down his nose at, let's say, young Dhugal (since I can't imagine anyone trying this with Alaric!) and calling him "Sir Dhugal" just to be snotty, when as the new Duke of Cassan he's entitled to be called "Your Grace," then yeah, I can see Dhugal putting him in his place right quickly.  Sometimes the intent behind the choice of title means everything. 

I can't imagine anyone using "Sir Dhugal" as a slur more than once!  ;D

I was curious about the origin of His Grace. According to Wikipedia--which I love as a trivia buff and hate as a history major--

His Grace or Her Grace is a style used for various high ranking personages. It was the style used to address the King or Queen of Scotland up to the Act of Union of 1707, which merged the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, and to address monarchs of England prior to Henry VIII. Today, the style is used when referring to non-royal dukes and duchesses in the United Kingdom.

For example, His Grace The Duke of Devonshire, or His Grace The Archbishop of Canterbury; or Your Grace in spoken or written address. Royal dukes, for example The Duke of York, are addressed with their higher royal title, Royal Highness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Grace

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Part 2 coming soon...

Alkari

Of course, for correct RL modern day titles and forms of address, you'd go to one of the official protocol sources.  The wonderful Debretts is a mine of information for the British -http://www.debretts.com/forms-of-address.aspx.

National governments often have similar resources as to forms of address (though they oocasionally take a bit of digging to find!).