• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Alaric's & Richenda's children

Started by AnnieUK, September 15, 2007, 04:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

Quote from: Elkhound on March 06, 2008, 03:05:29 PM
Theodosia?

Honoria?

Cassiopea?

Euphemia?

Lucinda?

Helga?

Bertha?

Theodosia's unusual, but it doesn't give me an "ew gross" feeling, the way Euphemia does.  :D Honoria..no, I wouldn't saddle a modern kid with that one. Bertha and Helga are right out. Lucinda I don't mind so much for the same reason I don't mind Theodosia and Casseiopia  has possibilities at least for a novel character if not an actual child.

I probably wouldn't name a child Clytemnestra. (Although I thought Clytemnestra got a raw deal from Agamemnon. First he sacrifices their daughter, then he's away for ten years at the Siege of Troy.)Or Electra, either. I've always thought "Electra" suggests someone who's always poking around in fuse boxes.  :)  Pandora? Nope. Andromache? Forget it The Greeks had some strange names.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

QuoteI probably wouldn't name a child Clytemnestra. (Although I thought Clytemnestra got a raw deal from Agamemnon. First he sacrifices their daughter, then he's away for ten years at the Siege of Troy.)Or Electra, either. I've always thought "Electra" suggests someone who's always poking around in fuse boxes.  :)  Pandora? Nope. Andromache? Forget it The Greeks had some strange names.

Melissa

There is a theory that Andromache may have been an Amazon princess originally.  It is certainly an Amazonian name (it means "fights like a man"), and Homer does list the Amazons among the allies of the Trojans, lead by their Queen Penesthelia, who was killed by Achilles (that incident isn't in the Illiad, but other portions of the Tale of Troy.  It was the subject of a lost tragedy by (I think) Sophocles.

(Classics major.  Can you tell?)

tenworld

another bit of name trivia.  I was looking up Joan of Arc after watching the 1999 movie.  The name she actually signed was Jehanne, so Kelson's mother would be named after St Joan (except she wasnt canonized until 1920 and lived about 200 after Kelson's time).  which leads to the thought that Jeane d'arc could have been so effective because she was actually Deryni (and thats why the English really burned her)

JulianneTK

I hear a story idea in there.... 

Brother Cadfael

Eh, excuse me! hate to break this Francophonic love in up, but the English actually burned St Joan, the Maid of Orleans (a title in witchcraft, as I understand it) at the behest of the French.  She did have a few enemies in the French camp as well as the English after all.

As for 'Phoni names (sorry I could resist), I'm not a great fan of the Greek names.  Latin ones like Honoria (Honour - yes it is spelt with a u) and Lucinda (Beautiful Light) are great and while I'm not really sure why anyone would want to name their daughter after the blind: Cecelia is the name of my cousin (Celtic/Gaelic meaning of Cecelia is 'blind').

JulianneTK

No Francophiles and no love-in. Me, I am an unabashed Anglophile and Celtophile (is that a word?) 

I was speaking of a Deryni story where Jeanne d'Arc was Deryni...  Maybe even suggesting it for Deryni Archives the Zine.  I would guess that tenworld was thinking something similar...

"Maid" is a title of current usage among pagans. It may or may not have historical precedent. I say that because there is very little written material concerning historical witchcraft/Wicca.  Most of what we have was written by the "other side" so to speak, the courts judging accused witches for black/evil magic.  Although it seems likely that "Maid" would have a title, given that as far back as the Greeks, and possibly further back, the Triple Goddess was viewed as Maiden, Mother, Crone.

Greek names, Latin names.  Some of those Biblical names can get pretty bad, too!  Male names: Nimrod, Arphaxad, Hazarmaveth, Shechem, and I could keep going.  Female names:Keturah, Oholibamah, Basemath-- and that's only the Old Testament.  The N.T. gets some even better....

Elkhound

Quote from: Brother Cadfael on March 21, 2008, 06:06:50 AM
Cecelia is the name of my cousin (Celtic/Gaelic meaning of Cecelia is 'blind').

Caecus means 'blind' in Latin also. 

St. Cecilia (note the slightly different spelling) is the patron saint of music; her name, however, comes from caelum, meaning sky or heaven.

Elkhound

Quote from: Brother Cadfael on March 21, 2008, 06:06:50 AM
Eh, excuse me! hate to break this Francophonic love in up, but the English actually burned St Joan, the Maid of Orleans (a title in witchcraft, as I understand it) at the behest of the French.  She did have a few enemies in the French camp as well as the English after all.

As for 'Phoni names (sorry I could resist), I'm not a great fan of the Greek names.  Latin ones like Honoria (Honour - yes it is spelt with a u) and Lucinda (Beautiful Light) are great and while I'm not really sure why anyone would want to name their daughter after the blind: Cecelia is the name of my cousin (Celtic/Gaelic meaning of Cecelia is 'blind').

Shiral

Someone has to hold up the honor of the Francophiles. It may as well be me.  :) Joan of Arc was sufficiently unusual to have collected some enemies wherever she went.  A French peasant girl who claimed the angels had spoken to her puts on armor and leads armies--doesn't happen every day, especially not in medieval times.  A woman, presuming to lead an army would be a topic of consternation right there even without her claim the angels spoke to her. Joan must have been very persuasive and appeared very sure of herself to get as far as she did.

It woudl be interesting to write a story based in Bremagne.  From what I understand of Katherine's description, Bremagne is something of a hybrid between France and Spain. If Jehana's family attitude toward Deryni is any indication, you'd better not try living openly as a Deryni in Bremagne, either. But so far, we know too little about Bremagni characters and politics to inspire many stories.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JulianneTK

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 08, 2008, 07:41:49 PM
I think that Xenia would be an interesting name for a girl.  Brion and Nigel had a sister named Xenia.

Sadly, this name keeps making me think of Xena, Warrior Princess-- I know it's not but on the printed page, it does look a bit similar...

Elkhound

Quote from: JulianneTK on March 24, 2008, 07:31:21 PM
Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 08, 2008, 07:41:49 PM
I think that Xenia would be an interesting name for a girl.  Brion and Nigel had a sister named Xenia.

Sadly, this name keeps making me think of Xena, Warrior Princess-- I know it's not but on the printed page, it does look a bit similar...

What an interesting idea for a crossover!   ;D

Aquinas

On the subject of unfortunate names
Duke Graham III MacEwan's eldest daughter is called Sigarette! Mind you following that logic Tiparilla (his second daughter) sounds like a brand of small cigar!

;D

JulianneTK

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on March 08, 2008, 07:36:54 PM
Don't forget that in the bottom of Pandora's box, after all of the bad stuff escaped, was Hope.

And Hope can be the worst of all, if you think about it....

It can also be the best.

JulianneTK

Quote from: Aquinas on April 15, 2009, 05:45:11 AM
On the subject of unfortunate names
Duke Graham III MacEwan's eldest daughter is called Sigarette! Mind you following that logic Tiparilla (his second daughter) sounds like a brand of small cigar!

;D

Oh, no, you're kidding!!!!!! 

TerrierMom

My parents wanted to name me after one of my grandmothers. Dad wanted me to be named for his mother, Zalia. But Mom won the debate, and I was named after her mother instead. Much happier to have wound up  as Elisabeth than I would have been as Zalia!