• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373
Google (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Out of Character (OOC) Thread

Started by Bynw, September 01, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Aargh  -Columcil turns his back for a moment.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 05:42:30 AM
Aargh  -Columcil turns his back for a moment.

LOL. Revanne,  I know what you mean.   ;D ;D ;D

We are an awfully eager group to get our characters into one trouble right after the last.   :P

I am hoping Columcil went to gather his strength in the church. and I am hoping that church is within the convent grounds. so that Columcil has access to Aliset. Or would the church just be in the town and outside the convent?  I don't know how medieval convnet towns work.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I think in most cases, the Nunnery would have its own small church. While the nuns would care for the sick in the community as required, in general they would keep themselves apart.  Sometimes they had stewards and in this case I've allowed them a gatekeeper.  At least until Darcy looses his temper and does away with him.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

QuoteTelekinesis (Deryni): Moving without moving You can move small objects just by thinking about it. You must have eye contact with the object and make a standard 2d6 Test.

Most Deryni have never been very good with TK abilities. Small things. Maybe a coffin or something large with a group. But their haven't been any Deryni lifting X-Wings around the 11 Kingdoms anyway. But it's still a keeper for those that have this little handy power. As it is good at open iong locks too.

My thinking about the Telekinesis trait is to have the ability to move standing still items in any direction and or have the added power to control the trajectory and velocity of an item in motion: such as rocks, arrows and spears. A character with the trait can make his own arrow go further with greater accuracy. He can deflect arrows, and other projectiles to veer off from their original path. Alaric was very good at this. Kelson picked it up quickly once he saw how Alaric did it. Dhugal and Duncan learned the trait from Alaric. I presume that this takes a bit of training.

Laurna

Quote from: Jerusha on January 11, 2018, 01:03:40 PM
I think in most cases, the Nunnery would have its own small church. While the nuns would care for the sick in the community as required, in general they would keep themselves apart.  Sometimes they had stewards and in this case I've allowed them a gatekeeper.  At least until Darcy looses his temper and does away with him.   ;D

LOL  oh dear oh dear.  Do we really want the whole convent and towns people stringing us up and lighting flames under our feet?

NOOOO!

Evie

I swear, I can't leave you folks alone for a minute!   ;D

OK, let me catch up and see what I can add while I've got a few quiet moments to think.  I was looking forward to our three-day weekend coming up, thinking it would be another mini-holiday, but when my hubby and I got home late last night, we were greeted by the sound of running water...in our garage!  Turned out that our washing machine hose had burst, and the result of that in our garage reminds me of an old movie title--A River Runs Through It.   ::)  Fortunately he was able to get the hose switched out last night (because to add insult to injury, the valve to the hose is so old it was also stuck and he couldn't just turn off the water supply to the washer, he had to turn off the water main), and find our old dehumidifier, and I was able to get much of the water off the floor with a shop-vac, but unfortunately we also had a bunch of old clothing and other stuff down in that area either in storage or awaiting laundering so we could donate them elsewhere.  This was both fortunate and unfortunate in that the pile of stuff acted as a sponge to keep the water from flooding the entire garage, but that means now we've got to go through it all and decide what to discard and what to try to salvage before mold sets in. So I expect my nice "vacation" is going to be spent doing piles of laundry and drying out the garage so we don't end up with a black mold problem.  And there's at least one section of drywall that will almost certainly need to be replaced.   >:( 

All of that to say that I will continue to check the game thread and contribute as I can, but if I go absent for too long and the story bogs down to the point that no one else can move it forward until Aliset does something, then please feel free to use her as you wish in your scenes. Well, within reason of course!  I trust I'm not going to find Aliset turned into an exotic dancer, or deserting her quest in order to take holy vows because she's tired of receiving unseemly propositions from Master Darcy's horse!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 01:45:22 PM

I trust I'm not going to find Aliset ...deserting her quest in order to take holy vows because she's tired of receiving unseemly propositions from Master Darcy's horse!   ;D

My feelings exactly - I thought it was safe to leave poor Father Columcil! And what is wrong with holy vows?
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I was planning on replying to Bynw's post last night before I discovered all hell breaking loose in the garage.  Some bits of his post snipped for brevity, since I didn't have comments to add for them.

Quote from: Bynw on January 10, 2018, 05:57:31 PM

The Power Trait is a rewritten (very slightly) version of the Tiny 6 Psionic's trait. Mainly because it has always been my observation and from the words of Katherine in Deryni Magic that the Deryni Magic is more aligned with Psionic powers than your standard Fantasy Magic ones.

The innate powers are definitely psionic, though trained Deryni (or Empowered Haldanes) also know how to do ritual magic, which seems to go beyond mere psionic powers, so maybe that should be a separate category? (More on this thought below.)

But it seems that we have ran into a bit of a snag with the Deryni Magic. Which is where I thought we would run into trouble eventually.

These are the Deryni Only Traits:

Artificer (Deryni): This sword was forged with dragon's fire. You have learned to create magic items other than scrolls. To use this ability, describe what you want the item to do and perform a standard 2d6 Test. Failure means you do not how to make the item in question without further research. If successful, you know the proper recipe of ingredients needed to create the item. The Game Master will tell you what you need and how long it will take to craft the item. It is up to you to gather all the items. Once you have everything on the list, you must work uninterrupted until the item is complete. This Trait requires the Scribe Trait.

I think this one is a keeper. Maybe reworded a bit though to fit more into the Deryni point of view. But this is how one creates many objects that are "Magical" within the Deryni stories. Including the ability to create Wards Major.

This seems logical.  Also I would think jerraman crystals might fall under this. If the spell is set wrong, you could end up with the sorts of unfortunate results that Kevin and Bronwyn experienced. (Bethane must have rolled snake eyes when she set that spell.   ;D)
Awaken (Deryni): I can give you power, but the priests say it will take your soul. You can give Deryni like power to a Human. Thus they have the ability to learn further Deryni only Traits, with the Game Master's permission. The newly Awakened has the Power Trait automatically and can gain any others that the Deryni using this Trait has on a successful 1d6 Test.

This too is a keeper. It's how you make a Human into a Deryni. It is how the Haldane's all have the powers that they have when they become king. (Not counting those Haldane's who are also Deryni)

Would it also be how Wencit was able to give some minor powers to Bran (and possibly Lionel, unless Lionel was actually Deryni and pretending not to be to help lure Bran in, since Codex seems foggy on that issue), or how Morgan was able to give Derry the ability to contact him (in coordination with using the St Camber medallion)?
Beastspeaker (Deryni): He has a way with animals. You are able to communicate with animals. This form of communication is primitive and very simplistic.

This is a good one too. The Late General Morgan can charm the deer to the very gates of Rhemuth.

And Bronwyn could call birds to her hand, Dhugal had an uncanny way with horses (and apparently cheetahs), etc.

Power (Deryni): Also, I can kill you with my brain. You have power because of your species or you are a human that has been granted power by another Deryni. You can read minds of others, create hand-fire or light a campfire or candle, you can tell if someone is lying. And you can communicate telepathically with others. Doing this is an action, and you must make a standard 2d6 Test. If you are trying to manipulate an object or creature, you must have eye contact with it. You can also perform a simple Ranged attack, such as throwing a ball of kinetic energy, which is treated just like any other Ranged attack in Combat.

This is what I used for the basic Deryni powers. All Deryni have this Trait. Even if they are untrained. Even if they don't know they are Deryni. Refuse to acknowledge they are Deryni. Thus those that are the latter two .. get to roll at a Disadvantage instead of a Standard Test.

So if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge you're Deryni (like Darcy and Jehana), you roll 1d6 to attempt a Deryni skill, but someone like Columcil who knows he's Deryni but just lacks training could roll 2d6?  Or still 1d6 due to lack of training?  (I wasn't sure if you were counting "refuses to acknowledge" as separate from "doesn't know" or if those were meant to count as one category.)

Scribe (Deryni): Spells cannot match the power of a well-crafted scroll or charm. You have learned to create magic scrolls. To use this ability, describe what you want the scroll to do and perform a standard 2d6 Test. Failure means you do not how to make the scroll in question without further research. If successful, you know the proper recipe of ingredients needed to create the scroll. The Game Master will tell you what you need. It is up to you to gather all the items. Once you have everything on the list, you must work uninterrupted for a full day to create the scroll. This Trait requires the Spell Reader Trait.

This one. I don't know. There really aren't any good examples of Deryni Scrolls that are Magical. There are ones that teach you about specific powers and abilities but nothing really that is power themselves.

Yes, I agree for the most part, although I could see this altered just slightly to refer to the ability to create magic scrolls/books (like Orin's writings) that are written in a cryptic style, or coded, or perhaps with special meanings hidden via spells that have to be unlocked in order for the secret meaning to emerge.  After all, if you are part of a persecuted race (or one with a history of having been persecuted until the recent past), you're not going to write your incriminating ritual magic lore and other arcane secrets down in a way that allows just anyone to read and understand them. ISTR Evaine having to figure out what some ancient writing meant because there was more than just a translation issue going on, though I might be misremembering.  Also, this might include being able to add a message psychically imprinted in seals on an otherwise innocuous looking text.  So I think this could still be made to work in a Deryni framework if it's interpreted that way.  In which case Spell-Reader  could just be the reverse of this, but requires this as a prerequisite since reading and deciphering another Deryni's cryptic secrets would be more difficult than simply creating one's own, I would imagine.  In game terms, it could be that Aliset's family grimoire contains instructions on doing types of magic that are encrypted in a way she and those of her bloodline can read easily, but another Deryni opening that book might only be able to read what looks like their family cookbook unless they are able to see past that magical protection to the true meaning hidden on those pages.

Spell Master (Deryni): Be prepared to be impressed. You have learned to push your inherent magical abilities to their upmost potential. This Trait is more powerful than the Spell Slinger Trait. With a successful Test, you can affect an even wider area, numerous targets, or create a greater result. As always, the Game Master is the judge of what you can and cannot attempt to do. The most powerful spells still pale in comparison to the most powerful scrolls. You can dispel the magical effects created by someone using the Spell Slinger Trait, and you also gain Advantage when using the Spell Slinger Trait. This Trait requires the Spell Slinger Trait.

<Spell Reader snipped since I dealt with it above--Evie>

Spell Slinger (Deryni): That's not bad, but watch this. You are more adept at channelling the arcane power flowing through your veins and can empower greater magical effects. This Trait is more powerful than Spell-Touched, but less powerful than Spell Master. With a successful Test, you can affect a wider area, more targets, or create a more powerful result. As always, the Game Master is the judge of what you can and cannot attempt to do. You can dispel the magical effects created by someone using the Spell-Touched Trait, and you also gain Advantage when using the Spell-Touched Trait. This Trait requires the Spell-Touched Trait.

Spell-Touched (Deryni): It runs in the family. You were born with an arcane heritage, and while the centuries have diluted the power, you are still able to subtly influence the world around you by merely willing it to happen.

All four of these are questionable. As they are more akin to Wizards or Harry Potter magic than Deryni Magic.

As they're currently worded, I have to agree, although again I think they can be tweaked easily enough to fit a Deryni framework.  If "Power" is the basic 1d6 trait all Deryni have, maybe "Spell-Trained" could indicate the character has also had basic training (2d6) in their powers, then instead of "Spell-Slinger" maybe there could be a trait called "Ritual Magic" (still 2d6, since it's just a different area of training) which would require "Spell-Trained" as a prerequisite since you need to be trained in the basics on how to use your powers before you can move on to the more difficult arcana.  In which case a "Spell-Master" would be someone who had advanced-level skills in both Spell-Trained and Ritual Magic, so that mastery would allow them to roll 3d6 when attempting either.  Would that work as a Deryni work-around?

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 01:45:22 PM

I trust I'm not going to find Aliset ...deserting her quest in order to take holy vows because she's tired of receiving unseemly propositions from Master Darcy's horse!   ;D

My feelings exactly - I thought it was safe to leave poor Father Columcil! And what is wrong with holy vows?

Well, for one thing, it might be difficult for me to leave a legitimate heir for Caer Mariot if I'm a nun! 

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 02:43:38 PM
And what is wrong with holy vows?

Well, for one thing, it might be difficult for me to leave a legitimate heir for Caer Mariot if I'm a nun! 

Or dead  :o
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 02:49:37 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2018, 02:43:38 PM
And what is wrong with holy vows?

Or dead  :o

True. Though if I were dead, I would no longer need to worry about Darcy's amorous horse.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Let's not be too hard on poor Master Darcy's horse that is now roaming the countryside, lost and alone, looking for his lady-love.

No wait, I turned her into a mare.  Maybe she'll just serve as Sister Aliset's trusty mount.  ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

"So if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge you're Deryni (like Darcy and Jehana), you roll 1d6 to attempt a Deryni skill, but someone like Columcil who knows he's Deryni but just lacks training could roll 2d6?  Or still 1d6 due to lack of training?  (I wasn't sure if you were counting "refuses to acknowledge" as separate from "doesn't know" or if those were meant to count as one category.)"

I have assumed that Columcil could roll a 2d6 because I think he would have some basic training even if he is more inclined to think of his skills as part of the border "second sight". Again I'm thinking of Ciard who knew how to ward, could sense that there were people approaching Transha when Dhugal first took Kelson there and IIRC taught Duncan and Alaric the basics of dowsing when they were looking for Dhugal and Kelson in QfSC.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 11, 2018, 02:55:00 PM
"So if you don't know or refuse to acknowledge you're Deryni (like Darcy and Jehana), you roll 1d6 to attempt a Deryni skill, but someone like Columcil who knows he's Deryni but just lacks training could roll 2d6?  Or still 1d6 due to lack of training?  (I wasn't sure if you were counting "refuses to acknowledge" as separate from "doesn't know" or if those were meant to count as one category.)"

I have assumed that Columcil could roll a 2d6 because I think he would have some basic training even if he is more inclined to think of his skills as part of the border "second sight". Again I'm thinking of Ciard who knew how to ward, could sense that there were people approaching Transha when Dhugal first took Kelson there and IIRC taught Dncan and Alaric the basics of dowsing when they were looking for dhugal and Kelson in QfSC.

Well, that's true. There are other forms of magic power such as Borderers might have, and therefore it stands to reason different types of training besides standard Deryni training.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Aack to the water leak problem. Hope that gets cleaned up soon.

I am having similar trouble. We just had our first rain of the year, I guess I didn't clean out the cutters. Water backed up and rain down the inside garage wall. Trouble is my garage is a work room, carpeted and full of fabric. I had to pull up a corner of the carpet and for two days I have been running a fan under it with the doors open during the day time.