• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Visionaries--Part One--Chapter Two

Started by Evie, September 16, 2011, 10:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

When B. gets a little older, Alaric is going to come up with the Gwynnedian version of the Eight Simple Rules.

Evie

He'd better not wait too much longer, then.  They marry young in Gwynedd....   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

QuoteWhen B. gets a little older, Alaric is going to come up with the Gwynnedian version of the Eight Simple Rules.
Oh, I doubt very much that will be necessary, Elkhound.  :D

At next year's Twelfth Night revels, there is the following scene with a young squire new to Rhemuth who's attending with one of the other nobles.   He sees lovely young Briony (who's about to turn 14), and not knowing who she is, mutters admiringly to his companions that he wouldn't mind trying to sneak a kiss from her.

His friends fall about with laughter.

"You got a sudden death wish or something?   You could just jump off the battlements you know.  Long drop, quick and easy."

Squire looks puzzled.  "What do you mean?  I know she's not one of the princesses, and she doesn't look like one of Prince Nigel's daughters."   

"No, it's probably worse."

"Who is she then?"

"Well, let's see.  He older half brother's an Earl, and he's a mean swordsman.  And her younger brother's an Earl too, and he's just as good for his age."

"That's him over there, the squire talking to the man in the blue tunic.  He's their uncle, and he's the weapons master at the Schola."

"Oh, and did we mention that the King is her godfather?"

"King Kelson is her godfather?"

"Yeah.  'Uncle Kelson' adores her.  And then there's her father."  Collective rolled eyes and fearful crossing of breasts.

"Fancy having a bout with the King's Champion, do you?  Course, you'd probably be lucky - she's got a couple of bishops as other distant uncles, so at least you'd get a decent burial." 

"There mightn't be very much of you TO bury, but we could try to save some small bit of you to send home to your parents."

Sympathetic nods all round.  "That is, if her mother the Duchess didn't get to you first.  You really don't want to upset the Duchess of Corwyn!"

Shiral

Maybe Kelson and Alaric could arrange a kind of Moving Ward for Briony to protect her from inopportune suitors.  :D

Whether or not SHE would appreciate that is another issue altogether.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

OK, that will protect her from the young men.  But who will protect them from her?  As a teacher, I know what teenage girls can be like.

Rahere

You've started something with the run-up to Christmas I pursued the Chapter 6 reference to the Dancing Girls which led me to the three converted prostitutes of St Nicholas in Brussels, thence to the Dandoy speculoos shop opposite, and to this Christmas cookies recipe site http://www.stnicholascenter.org and then finally in a huge circle back via their Orthodox mould-maker http://www.prosphora.org/stamps.html, whose work would certainly have been the kind of thing being used by the Duchess in preparing for the Epiphany feast.

Evie

My stars, Rahere, where is the speed control on your thought processes?  Every time you post, I end up on a wild Google chase trying to track down that train of thought that's barreling about everywhere, frantically trying to keep up!   And I thought my mental leaps were labyrinthine....   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Rahere

I have Sinclair blood (or rather, the Sinclairs married in), mixed with Merovingean.