• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Bit of a special day

Started by revanne, July 14, 2014, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Up at five am today so that DS and I could go to listen to the debate on allowing women Bishops in the Church of England.

General Synod (parliament of the Church of England) voted against by a very narrow margin in 2012 and a lot of work has been done over the last two years in helping the different sides to listen to each other. I felt proud of my church because with a few exceptions the debate was carried out with a lot of grace and courtesy, and yes(!) this time it got through.

Few people in their right minds would want to be a Bishop but it feels as though we're not second-class priests any more.

Couldn't help thinking of Duncan at the Synod in Valoret, a scene which always makes me cry.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on July 14, 2014, 03:22:58 PM
Couldn't help thinking of Duncan at the Synod in Valoret, a scene which always makes me cry.

Was that when he was formally absolved for accepting ordination even though being a Deryni priest was against the law at the time he took his vows?  I love that scene too, especially his emotional reaction in it.  (Then again, what Duncan scene don't I love?   :D )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

derynifanatic64

We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

Naah, Duncan's too smart to want that job!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Was that when he was formally absolved for accepting ordination even though being a Deryni priest was against the law at the time he took his vows?  I love that scene too, especially his emotional reaction in it.  (Then again, what Duncan scene don't I love?   :D )
[/quote]

Yes -I think it's just such a brilliantly written scene but I hate it when he's kneeling there on his own while they take the vote.
Quote from: derynifanatic64 on July 14, 2014, 07:58:26 PM
Duncan for president!!!!!!
I think Kelson might have an opinion on that!
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Quote from: revanne on July 15, 2014, 12:26:18 AMDuncan for president!!!!!!
I think Kelson might have an opinion on that!
[/quote]

Are there any examples of Republics in the Deryniverse?  Anything analogous to the Italian city-states, for example, or the Imperial Free Cities in Germany (who, although technically part of the Holy Roman Empire, functioned as such) or the Swiss Cantons?

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on July 15, 2014, 10:13:48 AM
Are there any examples of Republics in the Deryniverse?  Anything analogous to the Italian city-states, for example, or the Imperial Free Cities in Germany (who, although technically part of the Holy Roman Empire, functioned as such) or the Swiss Cantons?

I don't recall specific mentions of the sort within the kingdoms mentioned in canon (they were the "Eleven Kingdoms," after all), unless the Forcinn Buffer States are meant to being analogous, and/or maybe the Connait.  KK seems to imply that the Connait isn't part of Gwynedd but is a collection of small states that sometimes work cooperatively and sometimes fight amongst themselves, though in some of that description I see ancient Wales more than medieval Italy.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

I was going to suggest the Forcinn States or the Connait.

In the real world some medieval countries were elective monarchies for a while, Poland being one, and in origin the Holy Roman Emperor was elected -hence George I of England was also the Elector of Hannover i.e. he was one who elected the HRE. In practise it soon became a formality and was really hereditary in the Hapsburg line.

Some medieval kingdoms were what we would think of as non-democratic republics - in other words the ruler was chosen by a very small electorate, or imposed by military power and was not necessarily hereditary but power would be bequeathed.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

The Forcin States are monarchies, although the rulers have the title of 'Prince' rather than 'King'---at least, so far as we've been told.

In our world, some of the Italian cities were republics---Venice, Sienna, Florence (at least sometimes) etc.--although hardly democratic ones.  San Marino, in the Italian peninsula, claims to be the oldest republic in the world.