• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tripzilla!

Started by Aerlys, June 12, 2014, 02:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

Huzzah! We have survived the trek eastward. Wanted to post the day we were taking off, but our internet fizzled out. Not sure if it's our router or our provider.

Since there was no wi-fi on the way over (the middle of South Dakota isn't exactly a big hot spot), I wasn't able to post a more frequent log. When the RV wasn't lurching too badly, I did compose a quick diary. It's rough and unedited, but I'll just share out first two night's experience right now:

MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2014

Well, we got to a late start. VERY late. With all the last-minute errands, packing, dropping off pets, hooking up the car to the tow bar, etc., we didn't actually get on the road until 9 pm. (Yes, PM). DH drove as far as he could that night, about three hours. Long enough to get us over Snoqualmie pass and past Ellensburg.  It was slow and, well, nerve-wracking. The lanes were often narrow and rutted, and It was quite windy. Our friend had replaced the exhaust system with a better one. Unfortunately, it is also louder. So, during the entire climb, well, let's just say Harley Davidson has competition.

The kids and I tried to sleep during the drive, really we did, but without much success. It's a bit complicated, but here is the best way you can replicate our experience:

1) Gather six, old top-loading washing machines, the kind that shake and wobble across the   floor on spin cycle. Set facing each other in two rows of three, far enough apart to balance a full-size mattress on top of them.

2) Park a running lawnmower between the two rows of washing machines.

3) Balance a full-sized mattress atop the washing machines, above the lawn mower.

4) Throw three shoes in each washing machine, and set permanently on spin cycle.

5) Gather a symposium of squeaky mice, playing small percussion instruments.

6) Climb upon the mattress, along with three children, and try to sleep.

7) Finally, have someone randomly shine a flashlight into your face.

Imagine our immense relief when DH finally pulled over at a rest area!

DAY 2

Somewhat rested, we awoke at the rest area. It was still quite windy. Mini Mister held his blue blanket in front of the breezy window, calling, "Look! My blankie is a bubble!"

We headed across Eastern Washington, and stopped in Post Falls, Idaho to visit friends. We had lunch, the kids played and had a great time. We left a couple hours later. We asked them to pray for a safe and peaceful trip, to which my firend replied, OK, I'll remember S and P, for safe and peaceful."

We needed to pick up a couple things we still needed, so we headed into town. As DH pulled into an auto parts store, the RV bottomed out. Rather, the tow hitch for the car imbedded itself two inches into the asphalt, and wouldn't budge. We were stuck!

The car was blocking two lanes of traffic, so we unhitched it and parked it in the parking lot. Several people stopped to help. With a jack and muscle power, we were finally able to dislodge the hitch. It was bent, but still usable. We thought we were in the clear, but then the car window somehow came out of its track, and would not roll back up. We gave up, called our friends, and returned to their house for the night. DH was able to fix the window while we were there. And we were all able to shower!

I told my friend that S and P was supposed to be for "Safe and Peaceful," not "Short and Problematic."  Actually, God was probably keeping us safe from some unforeseen disaster by keeping us there another night, and we had a lovely visit.

We did finally adjust to the noise and movement of the RV, and saw some really amazing things along the way, and had some funny moments, too. Will post more as time allows.

Well, guys, the library is closing soon (no internet at Mom's, either), and I need to scoot back over to Mom's to help with dinner. She's unaccustomed to cooking for a crowd.

Take care, all!

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

What an adventure!  :)

Enjoy the trip and be safe.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

This has all the makings for a great summer mini-series!  (I refrained from saying "blockbuster" because I was afraid something else might break.) 

I'm looking forward to more installments, or the final novella.   :D

I also wish you a safe and peaceful trip, with small adventures that make you smile and make for great memories.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Keep trekking, Every trip is bound to have some mishap. Stuck in asphalt should be your biggest problem. So for here on out it should be S&P, Safe and peaceful, Sane and Playful, Sunny and Pleasurable. I wish you and your family all the above. At my house, we always said it should be 'smooth sailing from here on out.'
May your horses have wings and fly!

Aerlys

Left my mom's yesterday, and visiting friends in Ohio today. Went to the National
Museum of the United States Air Force today, which was FABULOUS! I'm a history nut and spent the day engrossed in the sections dedicated to early flight through WW 2.

Next installment is not ready, since I am on my Kindle. But DH added sound proofing (thank God!), and DS2 cut his finger, necessitating seven stitches. After his brother's misadventures, it wasn't a big deal. Maybe if I retrieve my laptop from the RV I will add a bit more tonight.

Dinner's about done, so I need to scoot.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

Wait a minute.  Seven stitches for DS2 are not a big deal compared to his brother's misadventures???  What happened??? Spill, woman!  ;D

I remember taking our sons to the Air Force museum.  They loved the flight simulator.  (I seem to remember DRAGGING them away) It was a stop we made moving from Northern Ontario to Victoria, BC.  (Love those military moves.)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Jerusha on July 12, 2014, 09:11:10 PM
Wait a minute.  Seven stitches for DS2 are not a big deal compared to his brother's misadventures???  What happened??? Spill, woman!  ;D 

You had me scrolling all the way back up to see if I had missed anything :D

Sounds like your family's guardian angels are having to put in overtime.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on July 13, 2014, 01:27:59 AM
Quote from: Jerusha on July 12, 2014, 09:11:10 PM

You had me scrolling all the way back up to see if I had missed anything :D

Sounds like your family's guardian angels are having to put in overtime.

I remember how many are required to protect the Aerlys Family Stair Steps?   ;D

Reminds me of when my daughter was a toddler, just starting to talk very fluently.  One day (I think it was a weekend morning), we were standing in the kitchen when I noticed her staring very intently at a spot behind me.  I turned to see what she was looking at, but saw nothing amiss...it looked like she was just staring at the center of the room, or perhaps the dishwasher just beyond it, but there was nothing unusual going on with the dishwasher that would capture someone's attention.  So as I turned back to her, about to ask her what was so fascinating, she asked, "Mommy, who are they?"  And she pointed to the center of the room.

Having no clue what she meant, I asked her, "Who do you mean?"

She said, "Those three men!"  Pointing, she continued, "There...and there, and there!"

I still saw nothing, but to humor her, I walked a little closer to the room's center and pointed to the areas she had indicated.  "Here, and here, and here?"

"Yes."

"I don't know, honey.  What do they look like?"  I figured she'd reached the age of making up imaginary friends, so I was willing to play along.

"They're really tall, and they're very shiny!"

I shrugged.  "I guess they must be angels."  She seemed satisfied by my answer, and I didn't think anything more about it, other than that maybe I just had a creative little kid who was beginning to enjoy imaginary play.

Then, fast forward to just a few years ago.  I lead a Celebrate Recovery support group at my church for women who are abuse survivors.  One evening, there was a lady in my group who had never visited us before, and who has never been back since.  She was fairly quiet during the group meeting, sharing nothing out of the ordinary for that sort of support group, but she seemed a little preoccupied with staring at me or just past me, which was a little disconcerting.  After group was over, she approached me and said, "You might think I'm crazy--I know most people don't believe in this sort of gift, even in church--but as long as I can remember, I've been able to sense if angels or demons are present, and on occasion I can actually see something.  And tonight, during the entire meeting, there were three angels standing right behind you.  It was a little distracting!" 

I was nonplussed--after all, what does one say in response to that sort of thing?  So I just nodded and said, "Cool!  Um...what did they look like?"

"They're very tall, almost to the ceiling"--she held her hand up high, indicating around 7 or 8 feet up, perhaps--"and I see them as shining.  That's how I know they're angels; the others look like shadows to me."

So she left, and I thought, "Hm!  How about that.  Interesting coincidence.  Maybe my daughter really did see three angels once!"

And then, right on the heels of that thought, came another one.  "Wait, what?  Three?  I need THREE guardian angels?"   It's become sort of a private joke between me and my daughter now that I'm so high maintenance, evidently I need more than one angel watching over me, even in the safety of my church and my own home!  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

On the subject of guardian angels, I remember learning that \ additional guardian angels are given to an individual who have greater responsibilities e.g. a king, president, etc.  IIRC, becoming a parent is one of those occasions.

On the update side of things, we are stuck in St. Mary's, KS for an undetermined amount of time. The engine computer freaked out, and no one in the entire state of Kansas appears to have the part. Looks like we will need to order it from New York.

On the downside, DH really needs to get back home and back to work, as the coffers are dwindling. On the upside, this is where I went to school for six years, and have lots of people here we know, and have been able to stay with friends. We are all itching to get home, but at least we are in a good place.

Sigh. Man proposes, God disposes!

It has been a rather exhausting day, so I'll try to log in again in the morning and type more. Er, later this morning.

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

My immediate thought was "Aerlys and her brood must have enough guardian angels amongst them to bring the part from New York" but I guess that isn't part of the job description.

Sounds as though you have had enough excitment for a triple-decker novel and I can't help thinking you are some sort of miracle-woman, stuck miles from home with seven children and you can still type coherently :)

More seriously, lots of prayers for you and your family to come safely home
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

Quote from: revanne on July 19, 2014, 12:51:22 AM
Sounds as though you have had enough excitment for a triple-decker novel and I can't help thinking you are some sort of miracle-woman, stuck miles from home with seven children and you can still type coherently :)

LOL! I don't feel very coherent...

All I can say is that I've had one of those lives that seems to descend into chaos on a regular basis, so this is just par for the course. We are fortunate to be here among friends (though some of them I haven't seen for 20 years), so at least we're not paying for a hotel. Whether we can stay friends after being stuck with us for so long remains to be seen!  :)

God has his reasons for keeping us here. We just need to stay flexible and stress out as little as possible.

Overall, it has been a really great trip. We've seen and done some amazing things, and reconnected with special people in our lives. So long as we can get home (or DH, at least) before we go bankrupt, we'll be OK.

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

**CLICK CLICK**

There's no place like home. There's no place like home...

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

Quote**CLICK CLICK**

"Poof" Wishing you a transfer portal at your location connected to you home.

Short of that, I am wishing you an engine part quickly delivered to get your mobile chariot functional again.
Nothing like a vacation to keep for your memoirs, but nothing like returning home and everything returning to normal.
I hope the part gets there before you husband has to leave. I'm not sure I like the idea of you driving home with the family, alone. I know you can, it just seems a long way to go with only one driver.
Sounds like you are enjoying the days regardless of the obstacles. Just keep up the energy levels. Remember, Deryni lend each other their strength when it is too much for one person to handle. Glad you have friends there.

Still sending much S&P your way.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Quote from: Aerlys on July 19, 2014, 11:10:52 AM
**CLICK CLICK**

But Aerlys, you ARE in Kansas!   ;D

Since your home is closer to the Pacific Ocean, you probably need sapphire slippers, instead of ruby.  Click three times, and you and your family will be safely home.  Of course it will work, right?

I do hope that part comes in quickly, so you can get back on the road and home soon.  Travel safely, with only pleasant adventures along the way, and no chaos.

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

Great news! As it turns out, the new distributor that was installed on Friday was faulty. So, we didn't need to go to the Wizard to get the RV a new brain!

God willing, we will be back on the road this afternoon. WOOOHOOO!

Hilaire Belloc