• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:16:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Casting Call!

Started by Bynw, March 06, 2007, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

I think Rutger Hauer is a little too big for Camber.  Camber is supposed to be tall but fairly slim.

In a perfect world, I think Peter O'Toole fifteen or so years ago would have made a great Camber, but now he's just not aging at all well.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Gyrfalcon64207

What about James Purefoy for Morgan, if you dyed his hair blonde?

DesertRose

James Purefoy as a blonde could work for Morgan; I had to look him up on IMDB to remind myself who he was, but I loved him in "A Knight's Tale."
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

BalanceTheEnergies

Well, I'll put in my cast list, with some explanations. A couple of points first. One: I'm flexible on ages, to a point. Health care and cosmetics being better in this 21st century world, I'm the first to admit that many people don't look their age (Even I get carded, and I'm nearly 40. Not bragging, just a statement of fact.). All the clichés a là "30 is the new 20" seem to bear this out. Two: I think KK not only creates pairs of books in terms of story arcs (as I read elsewhere in this forum), she also has characters who work in pairs (Morgan & Duncan, Cardiel & Arilan, Kelson & Dhugal, even Loris & Gorony). Some of my casting is done with this in mind.

That said, I present for your consideration...

Camber has to be Derek Jacobi. Full stop. I'll admit I've always mentally cast him in the part, aging him in my imagination during the late 80's (see his Chorus in Henry V), and his Cadfael performances bolstered my view. More recent appearances in Underworld Evolution and The Golden Compass don't discourage me, nor does his Col. Protheroe in the recent television production of Sleeping Murder.

Richard Roxburgh as Morgan and Ian Hart as Duncan. These two have already worked together in an adaptation of The Hound of the Baskervilles, with RR as Holmes and IH as Watson. I mention this primarily because the Morgan/Duncan partnership is similar to that of Homes and Watson: the former in each pair has notoriety and a slight dark edge to the heroic, while the latter has specialized training (medicine:priesthood) and a partial military background. RR turns up in some interesting places, frequently as villains (Moulin Rouge, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing). IH conveys a great deal of intelligence and political acumen as William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley in The Virgin Queen (check out the Masterpiece Theater site); these traits are also keys to Duncan's character.

Kristin Scott Thomas as Jehana. The role is a bit of a challenge, because it demands a fine balance of grief and fear, without lapsing into "hysteria". After all, Jehana keeps her wits well enough to wield her authority in the regency council. She also has to hold her own against Morgan and Nigel. And that's just the first book; if they keep going, she has to do all that emotional growth in King Kelson's Bride (with Patrick Stewart as Barrett?). Considering her work in Gosford Park and Keeping Mum, I think KST is up to it. I'm inclined towards Anne-Marie Duff for Charissa, and Helen Mirren as Caitrin, with Jennifer Ellison as Janniver, Anne Hathaway as Rothana ar-Rafiq and Emma Watson as Araxie Haldane (I'm stumped for Meraude and Sidana). I run this list of royal ladies in part because I suspect the filmmakers will condense things (though fans of the books may not like it); Deryni Rising might start things off, with Deryni Checkmate and High Deryni folded into one film (likely with Kevin and Bronwyn's parts reduced or cut), then The Bishop's Heir and The King's Justice combined, and finally The Quest for Saint Camber and King Kelson's Bride also combined. I suppose much depends on how far they go into the history (in other words, how much attention they give to events in the 900's), and how much money they make.

If the filmmakers start with Deryni Rising, Brion's is a small part. It could be expanded a bit, if say flashbacks to the defeat of the Marluk and the trip to Saint Neot's are included. Hugh Jackman may not take it because it verges on a cameo, but I think he has the charisma it demands. If he did take it, I'd cast Clive Owen as Nigel. Alternatively, CO could play Brian with Rufus Sewell as Nigel. Nigel may be deferential to his king, but he still must stand up to Jehana, serve as an effective regent for Kelson, and train all those pages and squires.

Bill Nighy is my pick for Loris. He has the build and features as described in the books, and I think he has the fanaticism/lust for power and ecclesiastical dignity in his repertoire (I base this mostly on the first two Underworld movies--as I haven't seen the new one--and his part in the biopic The Lost Prince. Jason Isaacs could mesh very well with him as Gorony (I think he's bit too young and muscular for Loris); if you want a sort of visual echo in build, have Richard E. Grant play Gorony. At first blush, I'm inclined to skew Arilan older, although the books make him only seven or eight years older than Morgan and Duncan. I suppose I base this on a generational mindset (go-slow, be discreet, work behind the scenes), together with his stuffed-shirt high-handedness and his endless juggling of his various secrets as a Deryni bishop and a member of the Camberian Council. Perhaps that's why my first choice for the part is Patrick Malahide; I've seen a number of Elizabeth I biopics in recent years, and his Walsingham stands out for me. (Come to think of it, he might also make much of Edmund Loris.) Given that Arilan and Cardiel must work hand in glove as a slightly younger generation against Loris and Patrick Corrigan (Alan Bates, anyone?), I'm inclined to offer Paul Giamatti for Arilan, with Kenneth Branagh as Cardiel. PG did that great turn in The Illusionist, holding his own with Edward Norton, and I think KB has it in him to be both the leader of the rebellion against Loris and the awed-fascinated human friend and superior to PG's Arilan. (Speaking of Edward Norton, and assuming the movie series thing goes to King Kelson's Bride, I'd pick him for Mátyás in a heartbeat, largely on his performance in The Illusionist. What say we add Ralph and Joseph Finnes as Mahael and Teymuraz respectively?)

Christopher Eccleston is my pick for Wencit of Torenth, partly from his role in Elizabeth, and partly for his role in A Price Above Rubies. Give him a beard, and he makes me think of the vulpine figure described in High Deryni. I think he'd also sort well with Jeremy Irons as Rhydon of Eastmarch (I want to cast Stefan Coram separately, but am stumped), Daniel Craig as Lionel d'Arjenol, and Kevin McKidd as Bran Coris. I'll round out the rogues' gallery with Liev Schreiber as Ian Howell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Conall (though I haven't seen The Tudors, I recall him vividly in Gormenghast).

I may get some raspberries for the rest of these, but I submit (in no particular order):

Sean Earl Derry................................ Elijah Wood
Kevin McLain.....................................Sean Bean
Ewan McEwan Duke of Claibourne......Ian Holm
Caulay MacArdry................................Liam Neeson
Sicard MacArdry.................................William Hurt
Vivienne de Jordanet..........................Maggie Smith
Sofiana Vastouni................................Judy Dench
Laran ap Pardyce...............................Ciarán Hinds
Tiercel de Claron................................Orlando Bloom
Bradene de Tourz...............................Sean Connery
Wolfram de Blanet..............................Ian McKellen
Henry Istelyn.....................................Simon Callow
Creoda..............................................Charles Dance
Warin de Grey....................................Christian Bale
Dhugal MacArdry................................James or Oliver Phelps (take your pick)
Azim ar-Rafiq.....................................Oded Fehr

Finally (if you've read this far), I leave Kelson and Liam-Lajos unfilled. Liam doesn't really come into his own until King Kelson's Bride, so the question can be held in abeyance. For Kelson, I feel I lack sufficient data. At the risk of incurring some opprobrium, I'll admit Daniel Radcliffe might be able to fill the role, but I'd prefer to see more of his work (my purse isn't long enough for a jaunt to Broadway for Equus). A great deal depends on putting people together, and I am not a casting director outside of my own head.

Gyrfalcon64207

I still think Rollo Weeks would be a good Kelson.  He looks younger than his age.

TheDeryni

Gee, BalanceTheEnergies, tell us how you really feel. lol. I have to google a lot of these, but I'd say I'm impressed. Also, BTE, welcome and I look forward to your future posts! :)
Once you think you understand women.....you will find you understand nothing about women.

DesertRose

BalanceTheEnergies, you clearly have put a lot of thought into this.  I have to admit, Maggie Smith as Vivienne is BRILLIANT, and I like Patrick Stewart for Barrett de Laney as well.

I don't know if Daniel Radcliffe could handle Kelson though.  Don't get me wrong, I love him as Harry Potter, but I'm not sure he's got the range for Kelson.

And I don't think Anne Hathaway is exotic enough for Rothana.  I was thinking somebody out of Bollywood for Rothana.

Ralph and Joseph Fiennes for Mahael and Teymuraz is another brilliant idea.

And I wonder if the filmmakers will have the budget for the rest of your ideas.  But it looks pretty good.

thistlethorne

I am very impressed with your casting, BalanceTheEnergies.  Absolutely brilliant casting and well thought out.  Now if we could just find a studio with a bottomless budget!  :D
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

BalanceTheEnergies

Thanks for the kudos. To amend/expand (and I'm not even in Congress  ;D):

A lot depends on the budget the filmmakers can command. Money chases success in Hollywood, so anyone with a good track record can get more scratch. I also wonder if Columbia is trying to find a flagship franchise, in the manner of other studios (Warner Brothers has Harry Potter, Fox has Marvel heroes, Paramount has Star Trek). For the actors, there may be other considerations besides the bucks--working with people they've always wanted to work with, finding a smaller role that could be fitted in a busy schedule, even making a film that espouses dearly held values (like the tolerance discussed elsewhere).

Like I said, I can't commit to DR as Kelson, for I don't feel I've seen enough of his work. Part of the trouble with playing the role is that he grows from 14 to his early 20s, again depending how far the bending filmmakers pursue the story. I am heartened by his stage foray; Equus isn't a walk in the park, so taking it on does suggest a certain amount of ambition. With the Potter films nearing completion, he may have the time. Could he do it? I think that answer to that is the Scottish verdict "Not Proven." Rollo Weeks is an intriguing thought; I'll have to borrow The Lost Prince from the library and have another look.

I suggested Elijah Wood for Derry, but Ewan McGregor could also do well in that part. Derry is extremely popular with the fans, and his part of the story is very important, both to Morgan's character and to the whole thematic exploration of Deryni-human relations.

Detractors may find my packing the Camberian Council with so many high-powered actors excessive, but the Council's contentious deliberations require a great deal of intellectual and emotional heft to be projected, mostly from sitting positions. Surely that requires some serious acting chops, yes? Casting the bishops has a similar difficulty: the costumes will make them look largely identical, so the faces and voices and body language must distinguish them.

I'd also entertain swapping Orlando Bloom and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the roles of Conall and Tiercel. Part of the question relates to the casting of Kelson, but I'd still like to see these two work with the whole chafing-under-the-restraints vibe. Conall and Tiercel are very much another of the pairs, in my view.

For those who don't know, the Phelps twins play Fred and George in the Potter films. I always like to see more of them, and I think either of them would look enough like Liam Neeson (as Caulay McArdry)--Dhugal is long taken to be Caulay's son before he proves to be his grandson. I'm afraid Rupert Grint strikes me as too young, though he's actually the right age and colouring.

I picked Anne Hathaway largely on the strength of Rachel Getting Married, though I also recall Rothana is related to Richenda (who's either a redhead or a strawberry-blond). Most of the nobility are related, often multiple times (Morgan and Duncan are what, fifth cousins on their fathers' side as well as first cousins on their mothers', and they're related to Kelson via the Drummonds.) Appearances have a great deal to do with casting, for good or ill. As for Richenda, I still find myself going round in circles: Tilda Swinton? Cate Blanchette? Somebody else?

I'm also turning over the problem of Stefan Coram. Whoever gets the part should be of a similar size and build to the actor playing Rhydon, since the chapter in the grimoire suggests maintaining a shape change is easier when the target is similar to the caster (I suppose since matter is neither created nor destroyed, merely changed). I seem to recall that Rhydon had dark hair and Stefan was blond, though I haven't got the Codex to hand. If we start with Jeremy Irons, who is close to his size? And should he take Coram and leave Rhydon for someone else? Jonathan Pryce? Charles Dance?  ???

Other possibilities, again depending on how far things go:

Hugh de Berry...........................David Thewlis
Morag Furstáná.........................Miranda Richardson

Thanks again for all the feedback; I look forward to continuing these discussions.

Gyrfalcon64207

I still think that Rollo Weeks would be a good Kelson.

Elkhound

I've said it before, but if anyone suggests Dan Radcliffe as Kelson with Rupert Grint as Dhugal, I will probably start screaming and not be able to stop.

YES, Dan does fit the physical description of Kelson--tall, good looking, dark haired.  And yes, Rupert is a red-headed boy about the same age, but STILL.  Even though I'm working on a Harry Potter crossover, the idea makes me cringe.

LeDuc

I want to play the role of Brion Haldane, King of Gwynedd. It might be a 'short-lived role', though. hehehe!!!

Alkari

As a new member, I thought I would resurrect this, and add another couple of names to the suggestions.

Mark Strong as Wencit (or indeed any of the Furstans).  He's currently on-screen as Godfrey in Robin Hood, but if you want to see him as a Torenthi, look at him as the head of Jordanian Intelligence in Body of Lies.   

Alas, he is probably slightly too old now, but David Wenham (Faramir in LOTR) comes very close to my idea of Alaric.   Perhaps we could find a role for him somewhere?   ;)

Alkari

DesertRose

I had to look up Mark Strong on imdb, but I think he would indeed make a good Wencit.  As for David Wenham as Alaric, that's a good idea too.  I don't guess he's too old just yet, as my choice for Camber is.  (I think Peter O'Toole 15 years ago would have made a great Camber, but he's just not aging well, and I don't think he could pull off Camber's vigor any more.)

Alkari

It's fascinating to look up some of these 'unknowns' on imdb.  So often they come to attention in one movie, you look them up - and find they have had a whole lot of really interesting roles.  Sometimes they are very good British actors, often with years of stage and TV experience, who don't necessarily have a high profile in the USA.   

Oh yes, and can we find a role somewhere for Paul Bettany?  I think he'd be uite good as someone like Tiercel, or maybe even Arilan.  He's another one of those chameleons - think the intellectual Maturin in Master and Commander, but the blond killer monk in The Da Vinci Code

Aussies will recall David Wenham as having had some very sexy roles in TV series and local movies, so he would certainly be ideal as Alaric.  And I totally support the suggestions for Cate Blanchett as Richenda: only a glimpse in DC and a small role in HD, but she has to be dramatic and gorgeous enough to captivate Alaric at once.

Alkari