• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 138
Total: 139

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Deryni Movie

Started by john, January 19, 2011, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john

I do not know if this is new info or not.  On th NYTimes movie website they listed a Jimmy Miller of Mosaic Media Group, as the producer of Deryni Rising.

pax,
john

DesertRose

It's not news that KK is trying to negotiate a movie deal for Deryni Rising, but that particular tidbit is new to me.  If you're interested, John, we have a fair few threads discussing dream-casting and dream-production for the film, should it make it to the screen.

Blessings!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

derynifanatic64

I pray that a Deryni movie will be made in our lifetimes!  I hope!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Alkari

I think there are more than a few people hoping that!

Go over to the casting thread, and post your suggestions.  KK has found an ideal Kelson, but we need "just a few" other key characters, so at least register your 'dream cast' ;)

derynifanatic64

I was including everyone who wants a Deryni movie to be made.  I made a few choices early on the casting thread, but I haven't given much thought since then.  Just made a couple a moment ago.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

However, it has occurred to me that considering how well-and-truly Hollywood has messed up some really good books, perhaps a Deryni movie is not all that good an idea.   :'(

AnnieUK

I've been saying that since it was first mentioned, Elkhound. Although HBO have made a darn good job of Game of Thrones so far, IMO.

Elkhound

*cough*Wizard of Earthsea*cough*

lenni

Elkhound,

If I can steal your answer style:
*cough*The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising*cough*

tenworld

but as those of you who experienced the flame wars on the Tolkien newsgroup understand, a Deryni movie, even a really good one would generate years of in depth discussions on e.g. whether Duncan was played by someone too sexy to be a priest, or whether that strange creature (stelrig?) from Deryni Rising had wings, and why your favorite bit character (insert name here) was not included or was merged with some other character.

Alkari

Well, Evie would say that no-one could possibly be "too sexy" to play Duncan!  :D     It's the Alaric fans you may need to worry about ;)

As for flame wars on the newsgroup, I guess no movie of a favourite book ever satisfies everyone.   There are always compromises that have to be made in any adaptation of a book for the screen, especially where you are dealing with a complex story over several books with lots of characters.  I for one had no major issues with the LOTR adaptation, and in fact was surprised that the movies turned out as well as they did, because of the complexity of the novels.  And let's face it, I don't recall Jane Austen including a "Darcy strips off and goes swimming in the lake before meeting Elizabeth at Pemberley" scene in Pride and Prejudice - but the BBC saw fit to include one in their TV adaptation of it.   (DOWN Evie - Duncan is NOT going to go swimming in the Eirian River on a snowy night in mid-November before the coronation in DR!!   Not unless you want a blue and very frozen Duncan ... )

I am sure KK realises that some modifications need to be made, and IF the movie goes ahead, we can only hope that she retains final approval rights over the script, and is happy with the actors cast.  KK's suggestionfor Kelson looks a great choicfe, though given the delay in making the movie, the kid will be far too old for the role by the time it goes into production!  But if she as author is happy with the final script for her creation, and approves the actors, then that's fine by me.

Evie

Duncan needs to at least be attractive enough to make it believable that the women at Coroth are dreamily sighing over him and wishing such a handsome man wasn't under vows of celibacy, since they do exactly that in one of the books (DR, I think?)  And that's probably not going to happen if he's got a face like a beaten carpet and a body as fit as over-boiled spaghetti.  I'm just sayin' is all.   ;D

And I certainly hope he's not planning on diving into the Eirian, but if he ever does, don't look for me to resuscitate him afterwards.  Forget blue and frozen, have you considered how much sewage is probably running through that major river, especially with a city the size of Rhemuth right on it?  Ew!   My love for him has some limits!  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Gyrfalcon64207

It's DC you're thinking about.  And he has to be fit, because he fights well in all the books.