• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,479
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 101
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Cormac

Started by Tigersue, October 09, 2017, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigersue

I finished reading TKD today and I have been puzzling Cormac.  Is he the father of Prince Cuan?  The codex and bride state that Cuan is cousin to Colman, but his father is listed as Cormac, a Duke.  Is there another Cormac we are not aware of it is this an errata between the various sources.  We all despise Colman and his attitudes were developing in TKD, and Cormac seems to be a sensible boy. so I could see how hard feeling could grow between two brothers and a nephew instead of cousins.

If all else fails, get Sassy.

drakensis

Colman II (and his brother Ronan IV, who ruled before him) are the sons of Illann II who was himself the child of Colman I of Howicce and Gwenael of Llanned, making Illan the first ruler of both kingdoms.

Cuan is listed under the Howicce entry as Colman II's first cousin, indicating they share grandparents. Thus, it seems Cuan's father Cormac was Illann's younger brother and therefore a prince as well as a duke.

(There's another Cormac in the Codex, some border chieftain who sided with Caitrin during her uprising against Kelson so the name isn't unique).

Laurna

Let me summarize my findings.

In the Codex page 72 under Cuan MacFaolan-Gruffud we learn there are two men named Cormac. Cuan's father is Cormac Duke of Maigh. My best guess is that Duke Cormac is the youngest Son of Colman I King of Howicce (1047-1071).

Can you follow me in this?

Colman I's oldest son is Illann II King of Howicce(1071-1099). Illann has three sons by his first wife, Ronan IV King of Howicce (1099-1119),  Colman II King of Howicce(1119-1130+) and Prince Cormac III. He also has one daughter by his second wife (married in 1100), the Princess Gwenlian MacFaolan-Gruffud (born in 1109)

Thusly, as stated in many places, Cuan (born in 1110) and Gwenlian are first cousins, and they have a romantic interest in one another which Araxie Haldane helped to keep hidden.

Now the second Cormac, is  Prince Cormac III. This is the young man who befriended Alaric in The King's Deryni. Cormac III was just a little younger than Alaric, but it is with sad news that I inform you that Prince Cormac III died in the year 1122, apparently without any sons. That is why the heir preemptive of Howicce has gone back a generation to Cuan, the son of Cormac the Duke of Maigh.

Cormac Duke of Maigh dies on October 4 1122. Prince Cormac III also dies in 1122.
It may be errata that they are the same man. However, as written, it is my best guess that they are two different men.

Does that help? or does it just muddy the waters? ;)

P.S.  Also remember that Colman I had three daughters as well. The youngest of those daughters is Richeldis. Richeldis marries  Donal Haldane and is Brion Haldane's mother.

P.P.S. I adjusted the Camber descendants charts to reflect this.
http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,1484.0.html
May your horses have wings and fly!