• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 371
Total: 372
JudithR
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should we make Deryni Archives available as an online download?

Started by DesertRose, August 31, 2015, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see Deryni Archives as a downloadable PDF format, issued regularly (on a schedule yet to be determined)?

Yes, and I'd be willing to pay a small fee (perhaps $1) for issues.
Yes, but only if it were free.
No, I'll read the fanfiction and view the fan art online.
No, I don't read the fanfiction or view the fan art.
Other, which I will post in comments.

Marilyn

I still have the set of Deryni Archives in paper that I'm willing to donate to anyone who'd pay the postage, probably around $15 by Priority Express Mail.  I have volumes 1-14.  If anyone is near Scottsdale, AZ, I could arrange to meet them and deliver the Archives instead.  I'm still trying to downsize and get rid of "stuff."
Maryse

Bynw

Quote from: Marilyn on September 17, 2019, 09:04:39 PM
I still have the set of Deryni Archives in paper that I'm willing to donate to anyone who'd pay the postage, probably around $15 by Priority Express Mail.  I have volumes 1-14.  If anyone is near Scottsdale, AZ, I could arrange to meet them and deliver the Archives instead.  I'm still trying to downsize and get rid of "stuff."

I'll take them @Marilyn that way I will be able to digitize them anyway.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

JediMatt1000

I don't mean to cause any problems by asking this particular question; but if there is a way to put the Archives into ebook/pdf format; would there maybe also be a way we could do something similar with the Codex? I would be willing to donate a small fee for this too, if this is something others would be interested in.
"Be the change you wish to see."

DesertRose

Quote from: JediMatt1000 on September 18, 2019, 10:07:44 PM
I don't mean to cause any problems by asking this particular question; but if there is a way to put the Archives into ebook/pdf format; would there maybe also be a way we could do something similar with the Codex? I would be willing to donate a small fee for this too, if this is something others would be interested in.

The Archives fan zine being scanned to PDF or otherwise recreated in an electronic format is a completely different venture from creating an e-edition of Codex Derynianus, because the former is a series of collections of fan-created works (mostly; I think there were a few KK-penned stories and she definitely participated in the curation and creation of the fan zine), while Codex is an official, (mostly) canonical, published book.

I know I personally would dearly love to have an e-edition of Codex, but without KK's blessing (and probably also the permission and/or participation of Penguin Random House, her publisher), doing it ourselves would almost certainly infringe copyright law.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Marilyn

I'm very new at this website and am not sure who said they would take the 14 Archives volumes.  If you want me to mail them, I'll need your name and address.  If you are local (near me) then we need to arrange where and when to meet.  If it would be easier, you could email me at mpoppe at cox dot net to make arrangements.  I'll be glad to see them find a happy home.
Maryse

Kareina

Quote from: DesertRose on September 18, 2019, 10:35:50 PM

I know I personally would dearly love to have an e-edition of Codex, but without KK's blessing (and probably also the permission and/or participation of Penguin Random House, her publisher), doing it ourselves would almost certainly infringe copyright law.

However, if we could demonstrate to the publisher that there is a market for an ebook of the  Codex it would increase the odds of that happening.  Having all of that data available in a searchable format would be very, very helpful when one has a question from the books.  Perhaps they could be convinced to do a second edition in electronic format, with data from the more recent books added. I would happily pay for such a thing.  As I understand it, the original  Codex was done by someone else doing much of the work with KK's supervision and final say. If any of you happen to have the time, energy and appropriate skill sets to take charge of transforming and expanding it to make it electronic (I don't) I encourage you to approach KK and her publisher with a proposal.  :-)
--Kareina

JediMatt1000

I would be happy with this idea, but wonder how KK might feel about it. I'd be happy to put some of my money behind this idea, as well as time, to see what I could do.
"Be the change you wish to see."

Bynw

I want to thank Marilyn here on the forums as well for the copies of Deryni Archives. They arrived today in the mail.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Marilyn

I'm glad to hear they arrived safely.  One never quite knows with media mail.
Maryse

glennd

I don't have copies of the magazine but if I can fix that I'd be happy to help with the scanning and conversion to e-texts.    :)