• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Suggested Reading Order

Started by Bynw, March 08, 2007, 07:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardiel

I started with The Quest For Saint Camber.

At the time I was working in a bowling alley, back behind the automatic pinsetters.  Unless something went wrong and I got a service call, I had a lot of time on my hands.  One day I picked up that book at a drugstore on the way to work, and started reading it.  I got about 10 or so pages into it, and I just couldn't get into the book at all.  If I wasn't basically a captive with nothing to do but look at the brick walls, I would have put down the book and never picked it up again.

Luckily for me, I kept plowing through it, and before long I simply couldn't put it down.  After I finished that book, I saw there were others in the same trilogy, and other Deryni trilogies as well.  I ordered them all, and I've read each and every one at least five times each, and most probably 10+ times.

Since then, I've acquainted several good friends with the Deryni universe, and I always start them the same way I started.  And I've never had a single one of them come back and say they had anything but love for KK. :)

morgan

When I read the Deryni series the 1st time I started from...the end! I found "high deryni" in the library and only after start the reading I realised that it was the 3rd of a series. Then, when I looked for the other 2, I found before "deryni checkmate" and, only after some times "deryni rising"!
Only 1 or 2 years later, it went out a new edition with all the 3 books in one and then I bought it and read it in the right order!

lancingboy

The only books in that series I have are Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate, High Deryni (I think) and I think that's all of them. They're put up at the moment so I don't remember lol. I don't even remember how many I've checked out of the library, but I think it was the King's Justice and Bishop's whatever. Those really confused me though because they were a different timeframe of the ones I currently have in my possession.

deanot

Quote from: derynifanatic64 on January 09, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
Chronological order would probably be better for someone who is new to the Deryni series.

Could someone list the Chronological Order?  I read several books a VERY long time ago, and would like to start at the beginning of the story again...

TheDeryni

Hi,

Camber of Culdi, Saint Camber then Camber the Heretic are the first 3 in the Deryni saga, timewise. Deryni Archives can also be considered the first since it is set before any of the novels, I believe.
Once you think you understand women.....you will find you understand nothing about women.

mikegeo

I don't think it matters as much what order you read them in as long as you group certain stories together.  For example:

Deryni Rising

Deryni Checkmate
High Deryni

The Bishops's Heir
The King's Justice

The Quest for Saint Camber
King Kelson Bride

Camber of Culdi
Saint Camber

Camber the Heretic
The Harrowing of Gwynedd

King Javen's Year
The Bastard Prince

In the King's Service
Childe Morgan

Outside of Deryni Rising none of the books on their own contains a whole story, but these 2 book groups contain a fairly complete story that would satisfy most readers.  Looking at this 2 book structure also makes me think there will be 2 more Childe Morgan books, not 1.

Shiral

Quote from: mikegeo on June 13, 2008, 12:03:59 AM
I don't think it matters as much what order you read them in as long as you group certain stories together.  For example:

Deryni Rising

Deryni Checkmate
High Deryni

The Bishops's Heir
The King's Justice

The Quest for Saint Camber
King Kelson Bride

Camber of Culdi
Saint Camber

Camber the Heretic
The Harrowing of Gwynedd

King Javen's Year
The Bastard Prince

In the King's Service
Childe Morgan

Outside of Deryni Rising none of the books on their own contains a whole story, but these 2 book groups contain a fairly complete story that would satisfy most readers.  Looking at this 2 book structure also makes me think there will be 2 more Childe Morgan books, not 1.

Hi Mike, I see you're the newest member, so welcome. =o)

At first  I was very surprised at your suggested reading order, then I thought about it. And... those two book groupings DO work to tell a complete story arc of themselves.  Gosh darn, looks like it's time for  a reread. =o)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

vajewa

I read them as they came out starting with Deryni Rising.  I have since read them in chronological order and would recommend that DR, DC, HD be read first, in that order then one could read them either chronologically or in the order they were written.

Imladris

I take Katherine's suggestion and read in order of publication... but that is probably because I am old and after reading the first three, the first Camber book came out, and ever since I have been chomping at the bit for the next one! And in some cases was a very, very long wait!  I think I first saw Codex Derynianus listed as a forthcoming book in the late seventies or early 80's, then it would disappear.  Got my copy when it showed on Amazon as a forthcoming and let me place an advance order.  Didn't know if it would ever materialize.  Was ecstatic when it did.

Shodaniel

Just finished "King Kelson's Bride" about 5 minutes ago.  Read them all in chronological order, which to me made the most sense.  To be fair, I've read them all as they've come out, so this was a treat.  Well worth it.

Shodaniel

Just finished "King Kelson's Bride" about 5 minutes ago.  Read them all in chronological order, which to me made the most sense.  To be fair, I've read them all as they've come out, so this was a treat.  Well worth it.

bronwynevaine

The first Deryni book I ever read was The Bishop's Heir in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I finished that trilogy, read the Camber trilogy, read the original trilogy, then reread the Kelson trilogy. I generally have to reread in chronological order. It's a tough call, but I prefer the Camber-era books.

(When my older children were 1 and 3 their My Buddy and Kid Sister dolls were named Kelson and Bronwyn.)
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

drakensis

The Bishop's Heir was my first introduction to the series as well. Borrowed from the lending library if I recall correctly. I caught up with the published books at some point between King Javan's Year and The Bastard Prince (since the latter is the first one I bought new).

Laurna

I loved the Bishop's Heir and I can see where if that was the first Deryni book read it would hook you into the series. Drakensis and bronwynevaine it is good to hear that it did just that.

For me, back in 1981 my second year in college, when I needed escape from heavy duty homework, I discovered the book Deryni Raising in the basement of an old building turned into a used book store. The image of Alaric Morgan, riding into the beautiful medieval city of Rhemuth on his black steed with his aid Derry at his side, and then subtly causing a whip to lash back at the abusive man who wheeled it, was and is embedded in my mind.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

My first journey in the Deryniverse was Deryni Rising.  I don't remember if it was late high school or early college when I bought the paperback, but it still has the sticker on it, and it cost me $2.95!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany